So I found a G4 in my closet

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4thgenceli, Mar 25, 2008.

1. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

I thought it was a case for my kids toys.

I haven't messed with this thing for ages, and I'm getting back into it. Few things... G4 w/ 773 powerPC and 2gb ram. I forgot the password :( I'm able to use it, but any updates/upgrades/installs need the admin PW and I dunno what it is. Any way to crack it besides a reinstall?

Also, will 10.4 run on here without issues? I wanted to get 10.5, but I read that 10.4 is better, as it's just a stripped version of 10.5 without all the resource heavy crap.

2. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

does it have osx installed now? if so just pop in the installer cd and i think you can reset the password last time i checked

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

4. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

No discs for the install, with a CDRW (no DVD).... DOH. I found a buddy geting me 10.4 :) woot

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

The only computer in my closet is a shitty 1995 HP desktop with about a 200mhz processor :wtc:

6. a-money

a-money OT Supporter

wow nice find, that isnt bad at all

7. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

awsome find, i picked up a "broken" 733 off kijiji for 24$ , got it to work and sold it for 500$ with upgrades. Made 100$ on it, and brought it comfortably into the leopard world , only when done it wasn t a 733 anymore haha.

8. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

So then I can run 10.5 on this G4 without issues then... Guess I should start that newsgroup download again.

9. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

with that ram yes, I would recommend a cpu upgrade single or dual past 1.2ghz, a 7200 rpm large cache hdd and a videocard upgrade. This will get you running with a smile.

Now, you can get away with being cheap. the 733 is decent, but i simply MUST recommend a videocard upgrade to a card that supports the latest shaders etc, that tower maxes out at a nvidia 7800 GS 256mb from BFC. I bought a pc one and flashed it over because i got it off craigslist for $50. Keynote, you need to RESEARCH. the rom on the card has to be a specific one, because , there was a revision released with a different gpu core and, so far no mac roms work on that model. This site will give you all the tools, knowhow and roms.
    http://themacelite.wikidot.com/nvidia-geforce-7800
    YOU CAN DO IT< and it is 100% worth it, i did many radeon 9800 pros and nvidias, including pci nvidias to give pci based towers hardware quartz and core image.

Anyways. :hs: A fast hdd with a large cache buffer. Will cost you pennies ( $40 for 80 gigs?) *NOTE* the tower will NOT SUPPORT more then 120gb as a primary hdd. This is a chipset cap. So , if you plan to use the built in ide bus, get a 120gb hdd as you boot drive and then a 500gb + ide drive as your secondary, the hardware limit is overcome by a software mod, BUT will not work if the large capacity drive is a boot drive.

Lastly, 10,5 will not install as is. you need a hack to install it, or boot the tower into firewire mode, and install onto its hdd off a powerbook, ibook g4-g4 that meets minium requirements.

Hope that helps!!!!

P.S. get yourself a NEC chipset pci usb 2.0 adapter card. You ll thank me later, since usb 1.1 is a useless bottleneck.

10. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

There's already a 80g drive in there, and I have a 2nd 80g to throw as well.

I'm not running the onboard video, I have a dual vid card (looks like DVI/VGA but the DVI looks weird...).

11. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

Sounds like a radeon 7000 or a rage 16mb or nvidia mx2, and thats not a wierd dvi port, thats a priority adc port for old apple displays only. ( it transfers usb, video and power ). You ll need a better videocard for leopard, believe me, even in 10.4 the 7000 is lacklustre.

Radeon 9800 pro or nvidia gs 7800 , you won t be disappointed, trust me, but hey install it with what you have via hack or firewire and see for yourself.