A&P So I entered a photo contest...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by friednanners, Sep 17, 2009.

1. friednanners

friednanners Sliver Member

I took a student trip to china this summer, and the tour company held a photo contest for the students on the trip. Grand prize was a $300 amazon gift card with 6 other gift cards of lower value also up for grabs, so I figured I'd send my stuff in. Only guidelines were that the photo could not be black and white, and that it had to capture the "essence" of the trip.

Here were the winners: http://www.explorica.com/about-us/in-the-news/2009/announcing-summer-2009-photo-contest-winners.aspx

:hsugh:

Now I'm not a professional photographer, I don't have a dslr or anything, I shot all my photos with a G10. This was the first set of photos I've ever edited in lightroom, so I was pretty much just fucking around...sure, horizons may be crooked, centered subject, vignette overboard, not enough lens flare, all that petty shit, etc....but seriously, were my photos that much worse than the winners? :ugh: what makes it even more ridiculous is that there were repeat winners :o

my contributions: http:[email protected]/

please, make me feel better about my photography skills :wtc:

2. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Well aside from the pic of the model you did, your shots probably didn't win due to not being as interesting (also not as colorful) as the winners.

Otherwise your shots are fine, its just a matter of the subject and the viewers tastes.

3. friednanners

I'm guessing they wanted more shots of students :o I really don't believe it had anything to do with colors or composition or editing, just subject matter.

4. friednanners

I should also add we were allowed 7 entries

5. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

The winning photos are horrible :rofl:

6. friednanners

thank you.. I'm glad I'm not completely out of my mind

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

this is why i didn't submit any from my study abroad trip contest, i knew they would pick shitty winners and then use my photos for advertising/ marketing purposes :ugh:

8. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Are you just now realizing that the subject MAKES the photo?

The only people that really care about the other stuff are other photographers.

9. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

You lost because you didn't follow the rules.

"Of the hundreds of fantastic entries we received, these two photos excelled at capturing the truly amazing experiences that students and Group Leaders have on our tours."

You took pictures of a panda in a tree, a bride on some steps, and some people by some train tracks.

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

:werd:

Your pics tell me nothing about the people involved in the trip. The rules clearly state that the pics should capture the essence of the trip.

I think the winners did exactly that. I actually really like the shot that won, within the context of the contest.

11. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

:werd:
    i was thinking this as i looked at your pictures. you have some good photos, but they don't show any of the students and don't show anything about the trip. they could just as easily be stock photography that comes up when you search for china.