So I dual-booted vista…how do I get rid of it? (the dual booting) (long post)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtromba, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I currently find myself in quite a strange predicament (for me). My buddy let me borrow his Vista home premium disc to try out (I wasn’t going to activate it, actually I wasn’t even going to try to activate it since his key is already in use) I wanted to experience the OS for myself for a few days, plus I wanted to see how well some of the software I currently use worked (if it worked at all) on vista.

So I make a new 15 gig partition on my main C drive via partition magic, and put the vista disc in and restarted. It installed fine on my new partition, I dicked around with it for awhile and a few days later I went into XP and formatted the new partition, and thus erasing that god-forsaken clusterfuck out of my life forever.

Or so I thought.

But then every time I restart, I still get the dual-boot screen asking me if I want to boot into XP or vista. Obviously if one chooses vista you instantly are told it ain’t there. This is no big deal at first, since you can just choose XP and it boots up fine.

My problems begin when I attempt merge the temporary partition to the main one with PM. At first I get the “error 27” message, which I have gotten before. It basically means you need to run CHKDSK and then defrag. But then when I run CHKDSK, I get the “cannot open volume for direct access" error. I never got this before I did the dual boot thing. The Internet has told me this error was supposed to be fixed with XP service pack 2, and that this error probably happens because something is accessing the drive when CHKDSK needs to be the only thing accessing it, and I believe the dual boot screen has something to do with it…because I’ve tried everything else. I even installed another instance of XP on the temporary partition, and then ran CHKDSK & defrag on my main drive from the temporary partition, and I still get the same error when trying to merge to two partitions back in my drive.

So how do I remove the dual boot screen?

Cliffs: Dual-booted vista, removed vista, dualboot screen still appears on startup, need to get rid of it.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Control Panel-> System-> Advanced Tab-> Startup and Recovery [Settings]-> Uncheck "Time to display list of Operating Systems."

You can also edit the boot.ini file to remove the additional entry but the above is a quick and easy way to remove the dual boot screen.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Start=>Run=>"edit %homedrive%\boot.ini"

When MS Edit opens in a DOS window, delete the reference to Windows Vista, save, and exit. You can use the mouse -- this isn't old DOS.

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

there is no reference to vista anymore since I installed XP in the temp partition in a futile attempt to scan the drive.

ok, so I see this

[​IMG]

I know that my main partion is partition 2. so I should just do this and then save it?

[​IMG]

(sorry for being anal, I have never done anything like this before)

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If during bootup you don't select an OS from the menu (after waiting 30 seconds) which OS does it choose, the correct XP one or the broken Vista partition?

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    needs to be in line with the OS line that you leave in there -- in other words if you're leaving partition(2) then you should change the above bold to partition(2).

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

the vista partition and boot info no longer exists. Since I installed XP again on the temp partition I see this when I boot up

[​IMG]

the "default" option, (if I don't touch anything when I restart, the one highlighted in the pic above) is the blank temp partition

so, definitively, what should be in the boot.ini ??

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

OK. taking this advice, it should look like this

[​IMG]

correct???

8. deusexaethera

Yes, if the default option causes you to see "No Operating System Found" or whatever, then you'd want to delete the default entry and change the "DEFAULT=" to point to the other entry.

Cliffs: You've got it right.

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

whew. ok it worked. I now boot straight into my main xp partition. thanks guys.

But I still can't run disc scan!!! :squint::dunno: ugh. anyone got any ideas? so far I have uninstalled norton ghost and partition magic (since the internet says this is likely caused by some 3rd party software or driver) I'm about to uninstall my antivirus, symantec. but like i said, this has never happened before...

interestingly enough, my computer will no longer boot into safe mode...

anyone else got any ideas??????

10. deusexaethera

Sounds like some bad voodoo that Vista did when it installed itself.

11. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Are you using zone alarm?

12. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

The proper fix would have been to boot to the Recovery Console on the XP disc, run fixmbr and fixboot. You can then delete the other partition and use PM to extend the primary to the full capacity of the drive. Don't merge the partition.

To all who suggested changes to boot.ini, Vista is not compatible with boot.ini, thus BCD is installed and the MBR is modified. fixmbr will replace the Vista MBR with XP's.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

^^^ I concur.

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

well, I fixed this yesterday. as it turns out it had nothing to do with the pointless boot menus, although its cool that they aren't there anymore. thanks to everyone that helped with that. I installed norton ghost to back my stuff up before I tried all this craziness and it was the reason I couldn't run disc scan or merge the partitions.

I uninstalled ghost and I still got the same errors. I was so pissed. so then I got really hardcore and cleaned my registry of anything that still said norton ghost using this

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html

and then disc scan ran without a hitch and so did the merging of the partitions.

and thus everything returns to normal

in closing: fuck norton, and fuck symantec.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  15. deusexaethera

fixmbr and fixboot would certainly have fixed the problem, but I disagree with your premise. If Vista were incompatible with NTLDR and its associated files, then changing boot.ini would have done nothing. As it stands, since changing boot.ini did fix the problem, that pretty clearly indicates that NTLDR and boot.ini were still in charge. I guess they made Vista flexible enough to be installed as the secondary OS on an XP machine, since that was a pretty likely scenario.

16. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

word. m$ clearly knew alot of people were going to get rid of it after a short time. heh

17. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Not wishing to nitpick here but you are mistaken. I've set up enough XP/Vista/Ubuntu dual- and triple-boot setups to have a pretty firm grasp on the possibilities and limitations. The reinstall of XP on the secondary partition overwrote the MBR and restored XP's boot mechanism.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=80505833&postcount=6
    XP's bootloader simply cannot boot Vista. Vista does not use NTLDR, and it's boot mechanism is nothing like XP's or any OS before it, due to Vista's need to support EFI. Vista can only be booted via BCD and possibly GRUB.

18. deusexaethera

Ah. I didn't notice he'd reinstalled XP; somehow I thought he just deleted Vista and went back to XP. Nevermind then, point conceded.