So I didn't rehab my knee properly...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Socrates, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I had an arthoscopic knee surgery on my left knee for a torn meniscus in early October.

I'm extremely stupid and didn't do the proper rehab exercises like I was supposed to. I haven't lifted weights since then, but I had an MMA fight on January 30th and started training for it in mid-november. My knee hurt the entire time I trained.

I haven't done anything physical since my fight. I still feel pain when I put weight on my knees. My quad muscles near my knee (vastus lateralis and vastus medialis --- looked on wikipedia :mamoru:) are considerably smaller on my left leg than my right leg still.

I went to the gym earlier and squatted 135lbs 3x10. I could feel pain in my knee, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

I'm just not sure what to do. Should I keep slowly building up the weight and maybe the pain will go away? Is it still hurting because I have a lack of muscle supporting the knee? Am I just going to fuck it up more by working it or will that help? I was laid off from work so I have no isurance, so I don't want to go back to the doctor. Any kind of advice would help....

2. Hallock

Hallock New Member

Are you retarded? Stop working out your knee, go back to the doctor.

3. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

:werd: Or something slightly less mean :o I had a lateral meniscus tear a few weeks ago and FN convinced me to go to the doctor too, definitely the right move. NOTHING is worth fucking your body up, that knee is going to have to last you a while.

4. LocTite98

LocTite98 Chillin'

im gettin surgery on March 31. the doc said to do light exercises before and after surgery to keep the knee strong.. i guess he was talking about doing
    -Leg Extensions
    - Leg Curls
    - Body weight squats

My advice is to not do any weight on squats yet. Stick to the machines and body weight. Once you feel little to no pain (tightness), add some weight. Just try to build the mobility back up to par, and then start adding some weight to create strength. Its a long process, dude, but its way worth it do do it right than wrong.

Good luck, man!

5. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

I would add careful stretching to this. I noticed the lack of activity and use really tightened me up and it's taking time to get back to par.

6. LocTite98

LocTite98 Chillin'

:werd:

7. miek

miek New Member

Maybe stop working out and start doing the exercises that they gave you?

8. artisan

artisan OT Supporter

I had reconstructive ACL surgery about a year ago now.. there are certain exercises you SHOULDNT be doing.. you should talk with a physical therapist and or doctor ASAP.
    Not having as much muscle on one leg as the other is a major problem if you're going to workout hardcore.. you need to work to regain the strength you lost before you keep doing anything stupid..

9. artisan

artisan OT Supporter

Exercising pre surgery and post surgery are two totally different beasts and you can really fuck yourself up pretty easily in the long run if you don't listen to the docs and therapists..

EDIT: Working out pre surgery is deff. good for you. Gaining the most strength you can will help you rehab quicker and put you in less pain post surgery. Post surgery there are certain things you shouldn't be doing, even when you feel that you can.

10. half zip

half zip New Member

I permanently damanged my patellofemoral joint by doing exactly the same thing - having surgery, neglecting rehab, then rushing straight back into aggressive activity. If the articular cartialge at the joint surface atrophies, it is suceptible to damage, and has no ability to repair itself.

11. MP18

MP18 New Member

since you don't appear to know anything about your knee or exercises to strengthen it, reps, sets, weight, I strongly recommend that you go see a professionals for rehabilitation

12. ilduce

ilduce New Member

bullet proof knees, the author has a similar story.

13. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

We have "that guy" at my gym too. Tore his ACL 18 months ago. Didn't rehab his knee correctly, and has permanent foot drop and loss of feeling in his leg. He's also an MMA fighter, and is too stupid to take care of himself. So he's 22 years old and has a permanent limp over something stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.