MIL So, I did a first-termer exemption for PCS orders today.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Julius, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Julius

Julius Guest

I'm supposed to report to a new unit 14 days from now with roughly 11 months left in my contract. I didn't realize until today (nor did anybody else in my chain of command) that it carries a 24 month obligation upon PCSing. It basically means that I have to reenlist in order to meet the requirements of the PCS orders. I am not staying in the military, so I will be leaving whenever this contract is up. I went down to the soldier center and signed the first-termer statement (not as bad as a real DEC statement), which pretty much states that I want these orders to fuck off.

I'm kind of confused right now. I am waiting for the newer amended orders, so in the meantime I will be going to my new unit in 14 days. What happens when I get there and these "newer" amended orders catch up? Do I go back to my old unit, or can I ride the rest of my time out in my new one?

army btw

2. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Not sure bro. Sounds like you fucked up waiting till so late in the game....and that your S1 knows nothing. You 'should' just continue to chill at your current unit until ETS if you have less than 13 months under contract.

If that somehow does not apply you should have proly signed a full DEC statement as soon as you got the orders.

If you do 'PCS' I highly doubt you will go back to your current unit, but I also doubt you'll be forced to do any time beyond your ETS date unless your new command is about to deploy. The 24mo 'obligation' and 13mo minimums are there becuase it's not cost efficient to PCS you more often than that. It's actually expensive as fuck to PCS someone.

So...from what I see here - you really should not be leaving your current unit at all.

3. Julius

Julius Guest

This is what I'm looking at doing. I called the gaining unit's S1 and told them my situation. They said they'll work with me on it.

Sadly, I had no idea that I could decline orders like this up until today. My 1SG/PSG apparently overlooked this fact too.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough TIS for a full DEC statement. I think it's a bit too late for anything to happen anyways. And you're right about not having to extend my actual contract... it's all up to how stop-loss affects me at this point. Our BDEs need their people when deployment time arises.

That's fine though. I'll ride this next deployment out stoploss-style and I'll leave this number-ridden, shithole excuse for an organization afterwards.

4. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

My advice? Don't PCS. This has bad ju-ju written all over it. Do you want to PCS? Are you willing to accept a clerical mistake if you get extended into another Deployment or 2 years (whichever comes first, lol).

Here's what I recommend - go down to the IG office and ask them a million questions. Make sure that they research all the possible angles and give you the answer you deserve. Yes, you have orders - but you can obviously do some forcing actions. As long as you're reporting to duty every day, who cares if you're not PCS'ing?

5. Julius

Julius Guest

+1 good idea, will be looking into this today

6. Julius

Julius Guest

IG was equally worthless. They told me to discuss it with S1. Yeah, I never fucking thought of doing that. Furthermore they mentioned that the ETS guidelines on the orders shouldn't be there due to this being an inter-post transfer. My S1, in the meantime, has assured me that they will continue running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I'm gravy with this as long as the "extension" I'll be receiving stays within the lines of stop-loss. I can't see how I would be forced to reenlist anyways. It's nice of 3ID to deploy all of their BDEs in the NOV-DEC timeline so they can get past this new no stop-loss policy beginning in January.

7. Julius

Julius Guest

Sorry for bumping this, but I wanted to post my solution in case anyone else runs into this issue.

The first termer's statement canceled my assignment. Anyone who has their position changed to SRPLS SLDR or something of the like on their ERB should be wary. I found out that my S1 had kept me in this position for a while when they were cleaning up assignments within companies. I have no idea why this happened. I was holding a 30 level position at the time as a 25N20, but me being freed up as a surplus soldier flagged HRC to reassign me.

There's a chance that HRC selected me for another reason. I guess I'll find that out if they send another set of orders to me.

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

heed this advice

9. JSin

JSin New Member

I'm glad you got it worked out. If you would have PCSed there is some language in the orders that would have stated that PCSing is the equivalent to accepting a 2 year extension. That's how it goes for us officers.

10. Julius

Julius Guest

yeah it's basically the last stake for me not wanting to reenlist.

11. MrRyan

So...update?

12. Julius

Julius Guest

i submitted the first-termer's statement to levy, waited a week, and then called levy to confirm that my orders for the new unit were deleted.

13. MrRyan

Did it take help from the IG or did someone finally figure out what you needed to do?

14. Julius

Julius Guest

IG did tell me that I shouldn't have received orders. They explained that interpost transfers are nothing more than clearance papers and a 4187. So, IG helped me a bit, but everyone else's advice was pretty worthless. Namely S1.

But as for fixing orders, I just walked the paperwork through at the service center and it was taken care of. I told them that interpost transfers don't use PCS orders/my ETS date was wrong and they fixed it.