GUN So I decided to refinish the furniture on my AK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Feb 11, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

[WASR] :mamoru:. This is how it came:

[​IMG]

The "dragonuv" stock was completely unfinished and wasn't even sanded and the gasblock cover/handguard looked like they were stained but weren't finished. I bought a regular wood stock and a pistol grip off of someone for $8. I mainly just wanted the pistol grip but I figured what the hell, it's a cheap way to get a comfortable stock on it so whatever. I'm undecided if I'll ever get a nice furniture set for it, but if I do it won't be for a while so :dunno:.
    The stock I bought looks like it's made out of plywood :rofl: similar to the shitty one that came with the gun . But I sanded it smooth with 100-grit, then 240 grit, then 400 grit, then #0000 steel wool and it was :eek3: smooth. Wet it all down, and went back and sanded down the grain. Put on 3-4 coats of minewax stain (red oak) and tomorrow night I'll put on several layers of semi-gloss clear coat.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The other stock rommy too? They look crappy when you get them but they do end up looking good once you properly refinish them.

3. xpinchx

Yeah pretty sure it's romanian. I took a quick pic with the stain on. They look horribly, horribly mismatched here because of the flash, but the stock is dead on with the pistol grip, and the handguards are very close as well, but for some reason the light really reflects off of them. In person though they all look almost identical, plus the clear coat will help even more.

[​IMG]

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I did like 4 coats of the Red Oak Miniwax stain with a little bit of Maple on mine and then some semi-gloss polyurathane. Turned out ok, I just have nothing to put it on. Guess that means I need to build another AK.

[​IMG]

5. xpinchx

How much prep work did you do? No offense, but I hope mine turns out a little different. :hs: I was thinking semi-gloss would be a little more glossy. Here's some guy's WASR-10 I shot at the range a while back that he refinished himself. Does it look like semi-gloss or full gloss to you guys? I want mine to look like that. :o

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I sanded them sloped on the dye, let it dry over night then sprayed half a can of the polyurathane on. They really aren't that glossy, You can only tell they are somewhat glossy when there's light on them. I don't care much for the 'candy apple' look. If I do end up putting them on something I'll probably re-do them. I hate the stupid dildo that hangs off the front, so that will be getting cut off.

7. el capitan

el capitan New Member

looks way better! couldn't you make your own stock with better wood? i;m sure someone has tried it before.

i refinished my mosin stock, and used the gloss poly, it went on nicely but is a tad shiny. i figured it would be better to go gloss because after a fine sanding i could tailor the level of shine by how well i polished it.

8. xpinchx

:werd: to that, I'm gonna exchange it for glossy tomorrow. I live in an apartment right now and I don't have the necessary tools to make my own otherwise that would be a feasible option.

9. xpinchx

Never liked those forward grips either. :hs: The way I did my stain though is I slopped it on, let it sit for 5 mins, then wipe off the excess and let it dry for an hour or so and rinse/repeat. Even with the stain on they're smooth as a baby's bottom. ;)

10. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

You can put tung oil over the top of it, then hit it with steel wool, then repeat. If you do it enough times you can get a mirror finish, if that's what you're after.

11. xpinchx

Sounds like too much work, and I dunno how tung oil would looks on plywood.

12. xpinchx

Sprayed it down today. It looks like shit right now, has some runs and stuff but that's ok. I'm gonna let them dry for a couple days and I'll wet sand them down with 600, 1000, and 2000 grit and follow up with some polishing compound and buff it with some jeweler's rouge. Should be a mirror finish when it's done. :coold:

[​IMG]

13. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

What a pain in the ass... trust me, just try the tung oil next time dude :)

14. el capitan

el capitan New Member

dude, maybe try this.

i bought minwax "wipe on" poly but i purchased some cheap cheap foam brushes.
    then i just applied a small amount to the brush and applied. i hung it over a space heater to aid in drying. it took about and hour and a half or so between coats.

when it was dry i would hit it with 0000 steel wool between coats. (takes like a min)

i kinda felt that the spray on poly left too much "orange peel" so the quick application was lost because of the added sanding. i was able to get to 12 or so coats in 2 days and i'm left over with this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. xpinchx

Nice.

I started finishing it up today and halfway through I decided I didn't want such a glossy finish (and it would be impossible to get a "mirror" finish because of the quality of the wood) so I sanded it down a little bit and polished it and now I'm left with a pretty nifty super-smooth semi-glossy finish. The handguards simply wouldn't soak up any more stain so it is what it is I guess. :dunno: Anyway here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. xpinchx

Maybe some day I'll get a nice set of furniture for it, but I doubt it. :dunno:

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Did you completely remove the old stain? I've let stocks sit in bleach for a couple hours then used tung oil and they turned out amazing.

Prep work is the most important part when you're refinishing wood though. It's probably also going to be pretty hard to get a super glossy finish with spray on stuff, you'll have to do what el capitan did.

18. xpinchx

Yeah I had everything down to bare wood. I'm ok with the results, but if there's anything I've learned from this ordeal it's that I'm not a very patient person. :rofl: I wish I had more time to work on it, but between work and school I'm never at home for more than 3-4 hours a day aside from sleeping time so it would probably take like a week to refinish everything the "right way".

19. el capitan

el capitan New Member

it sucks that the hand guards wouldn't take anymore stain. looks good though. there is a spray "primer" i guess for wood. it levels out the finish and lets the stain take evenly.

i however did not know about it until AFTER my refinish

20. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i got an sks that imma redo.... tung oil, how does it work? if i use it once can i remove it if i don't like it? or since its an oil am i kinda fucked?

21. xpinchx

I think it might just be because of the grain. I noticed on the bottom of the lower handguard it almost matches the stock because it actually has more defined grain, but the sides there's almost no grain. :dunno: I gave them an extra 3-4 coats of stain, too. :hs:

22. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They must of lowered the quality of the guards on the WASR's mine came out pretty decent looking and matched the stock.

23. xpinchx

Alright fuckit I'm going to refinish it again when I have more time. It feels fine, but yeah it looks like shit.

24. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

i want my wasr >:O

without a dragonov stock :x

25. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i saw the wood stain "primer" on that show how its made. they use it for guitars when they spray on the finish. i'm sure furniture makers would be able to point you i the right direction.

if you want to go real real dark they make this stuff called metal oxide dye, and it will basically make it a real dark black/brown