So I decided not to update my firmware v.Seagate FW Bug

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Mar 9, 2009.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I spoke with our product manager who deals with drives about the bug. Apparently the bug only happens when there are exactly 25X events in the log (I can't remember the exact number, I think it was 255).

My reasoning:
    - I now have a hot spare and can afford to have 1 drive die (running RAID-5 with 5+1 1TB Seagate ES.2 drives)
    - It would be a pain in the ass since Seagate's firmware updater doesn't see my drives through my RAID card and I would have to pull them one at a time to update.
    - The likelyhood of more than 1 of my drives having EXACTLY this many error logs on boot is quite low.
    - If I do have a drive that has that many errors in the log, I would like for it to die so I can RMA it. I know its still a slim chance that it would be that exact number, but I'm not going to actually be examining my drive logs.

At my place of work, we aren't updating the firmware either. That is because customers should have noticed the amount of error logs and pulled the drive prior to reaching this amount. AND our systems are created to never have to power down, therefore they wouldn't reboot and run into a problem anyway (primarily sell dual controller / dual power supply modules).

(For those that don't know, the place I work supplies external storage arrays to OEMs.)

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

And BTW, I am quite dissapointed with Seagates ES.2 quality anyway... I have now had 2 out of 5 drives die in ~7 months. Granted the first one only worked for ~1.5 weeks and sounded bad from the get go (I know Seagate has an allowable DOA rate that they think is acceptable). The second one just died a few weeks ago with no prior signs of problems.

That is why I now have a hot spare.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've had more seagate drives die on me in the last 6 months than any other manufacturer.

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I'm running two seagates now in my computer ive had since 2002. Both still show 98% fitsness/performance rates. Ive had more maxtors go bad in home computers then any other drive Ive ever seen. I bought a new WD 500 gig that went dead on me in three weeks. Deskstar are the worst kind of drives.

To each their own :o

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I think in this case, there was a manufacturing flaw in the drives. I too am a Seagate sackrider, but they've admitted there's a problem and they're doing their best to fix it. The same can't be said about other manufacturers.