WEB So I built a site

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kevin, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I come from a software/programming background, so I know the least about the whole marketing/seo thing.

I know its a huge topic that has whole sites devoted to it, but i'm wondering if anyone can give me some starter tips for search engine/coding best practices.

For example, I've added text to the title property of certain objects (links/images, etc)

What are some other basic things I can do to ensure my site is accessible?

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

if you want help, send me a pm homey and I will give you a hand, and I am not playing games

3. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

backlinks, yo

4. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

backlinks, friendly urls, webmaster tools (from google), sitemap, analytics (from google), article submissions (if applicable to your website)

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Learn valid markup.

6. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

These are all important.. here it is spelled out in english..

- Build your site with valid markup. You can test your markup using validator tools here.
    http://validator.w3.org/
    The more valid your site is, the easier it is to ensure it will be spidered properly as well as ensuring compliance with all standards browsers/ visitor.

Once you are done validating, you can work on friendly urls.
    http://www.merges.net/theory/20010305.html
    word press and other tools have friendly urls built into it when enabled.

Next, work on content and keyword placement. This can include alts and a whole ton of good shit and sometimes is an art all together.

Next, sign up for googles webmaster tools and follow their recommendations like sitemap.xml etc.
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/start/
    Note, an "actively" updated site and sitemap will generate higher rankings overtime compared to one that is not updated.

Sign up for analytics to track your progess, like any plan, unless you have measurements you will not be able to tell if the changes you are implementing are having a positive effect.

Content..
    Article submissions etc are all important but specific to the purpose of the site. If you do all the above and still need more, you will probably know more just by learning from the above steps.

Keep us posted on the progress.

7. matrixan

matrixan New Member

start with internal SEO
    - meta tags - keywords, descriptions etc.
    - page titles
    - links - Link structure, Alt tags, Text link words and titles
    - keyword density
    - HTML validity
    - web site accessibility
    - Sitemap Creation & Submission
    - manual submission to all the major SE's

8. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I have. I use Visual Studios accessibility tool, and check it against the standards, then fix all the errors it finds.

9. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Since day 1, i've been building it against a lynx browser, to make sure Google can crawl it, and that it makes sense when viewed in Lynx.

I used friendly urls. This was big because i had planned on using your typical id passed via querystring method.

I designed my content based on what i read on SEO blogs. Every image/link has the alt and title properties assigned.

And yeah, first thing I did was sign up for Google Webmaster tools. Its been helpful. Today was the first day it was indexed. I'm happy about that.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll keep you posted. I'm still working with the owner of this company to get more content/products. So I'm not 100% finished yet, but when I am, i'll post it up.