So I bought the same RAM, but its wrong? help please.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NitrousX, Oct 31, 2006.

1. NitrousX

NitrousX Go web Go!

So I bought a WINTEC AMPO 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161679

for my desktop, which is an E machines with a 512 stick of ram with the same specs. Both the one I bought and the one that works (it came with it) are pc3200 ddr400MHz CL3 sticks of ram. I have an AMD processorThe one I ordered is even specificly made for AMD systems.

I installed the 1G stick and it wouldn't work. I made sure it fit correctly, was securly fastened, but it just goes to the windows xp start up screen and blanks out and repeats. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

2. NitrousX

NitrousX Go web Go!

Thanks alot man, I appreciate it.

3. skilledscion

skilledscion New Member

You need to check if MOBO is compatible. It is strongly recommended that you use the exact same sticks(manufacturer, timming, size). I had the same prob with my old comp. Figure out MOBO type and go to manufacturer and check the compatibility.
    -brandyn

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

It might be, strangely enough, that the RAM slots might not support 1GB sticks.

Get Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ and test the RAM, which is the first thing (I learned the hard way) that you should always do before you jump into using it with your system.
    At least do 1 pass, about 10 test, which takes a few hours to do.