A&P So I bought some grey cards

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Valence, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

You've seen pics posted, digital grey cards. Three cards on a lanyard, one white, one grey, one black. For once and for all, you can use them for white balance. Very helpful as a bonus for adjusting exposure later as a reference (blacks stay black, whites white, etc)

Balance in LR off the white or the grey, whichever you prefer and / or whichever gives you the best results. Some shots, grey is better for me, and other shots, the white is better.

Pretty cheap, and very helpful. I love em.

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I went to the camera store last night and got an 8.5 x 11 gray card for for 6 bucks. I had them then cut it in half and take one of the halves and cut it in half so I now have 3 cards. Gonna try the method outlined by Jared_irl on setting wb in post and see how much of a difference it makes

3. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Much easier to do it that way. The XTI requires you to take a picture, and use all these buried menu options to apply that to other photos. I just snap one off with the cards as the first shot and shoot. If I move to an area with different lighting, more shadows, etc, I take another one. maybe overkill, maybe not.