GUN So I bought a Glock 19C, tell me about it

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jul 26, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I joined Glock crew today, I got some questions.

It's the compensated type, I don't know if that's really good or bad but I got such a good deal on it I couldn't pass it up. It was $440 before tax, less than 100 rounds through it. I ran through and checked all the things yar recommended and it looked perfect. I put the money down but I gotta get my purchase license and I'll pick it up in a couple days, so I'll have pics then. So anything I should do before I take it shooting? What kind of cleaning supplies will I need? How often do I need to clean it? Any accessories I should look at buying? Thanks for any help, I'm sure I'll have a few in the next few days. :o

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. xpinchx

Also I bought a couple boxes of the only ammo he had in stock, PMC Bronze 115 grn FMJ, is it total crap or will it shoot fine? Also I was surprised how small it was, I pictured it being bigger for some reason. :o And I forgot it came with 3 mags and the case.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  3. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Compensated 9mm ftl

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

pretty good deal. Is it a 3rd or 2nd gen (3rd gen has the light rail).

I would shoot it as it is and when your ready to start wrenching on it do the trigger, sights, and springs. I would also upgrade the mag release to a factory extended or a jp mag release. That way you can hit it without shifting your grip.

I should do a whole write up on modifying the glock one day. Would save me lots of reposts. You can always go to www.glockworx.com and look at all the glock goodies. If you call the 800 number monday - friday 11 am - 4pm pacific standard time you can talk to me about glock stuff. They pay me to talk glock stuff you know so I don't mind.

As far as cleaning do not buy one of those cleaning kits. you can go two routes, the inexpensive, or the extensive. If going inexpensive I would get a quart of synthetic motor oil like mobile 1, a can of brake cleaner, some inexpensive cleaning patches, and maybe a bore snake. If you can get a little oil dropper for the oil that would be good too they got them at www.midwayusa.com, better gun stores, and hobby shops. You can use the included cleaning rod and brush that comes with the gun.

If you want to go extensive then get a one piece rod like a dewey or tipton with a brass brush and a brass jag. Best all around solvent that I've used us hopps elite. Best all around lube I've used is Gun butter. I really like the gun butter. Get some of those cotton swabs for cleaning guns, work really well for in the striker channel. Q-tips work too but I don't like how they leave fibers behind.

First thing to do is completely clean the gun. There is some copper grease or something that comes on the gun from the factory on the bottom of the slide. That shit is nasty and the first thing I clean off. After you clean and lube your ready to go for a while.

I honestly only clean my glock every couple of months and you guys know how much I shoot. So it's like every 3-5k between cleanings. I do wipe down the feed ramp and yank a bore snake through between matches but that's about it. Glocks like to be dirty, they shoot better dirty. In fact when I have a big match I clean my glock one or two matches before. That when when the big match comes it is properly dirty.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

while the factory compensated glocks (not really compensated it's ported) are not as efficient as a real race gun with a real comp, they shoot fine. I would even say the porting does do something.

Still the price is right.

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I shoot a fair amount of PMC bronze, it's good ammo.

Don't listen to everyone on the modifications. Unless you're working on a gaming gun, then a box stock G19 w/ the addition of the sights of your choice is a great gun.

7. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

I want a 19C - i'd probably pay the same price you did for a new one. :o

8. xpinchx

Yeah but I hate you because you never responded when I asked if you could get me a deal. :wtc: The best deal I could find on a new 19 was $540 w/ 2 factory mags, so when I heard $440 for the "compensated" model and 3 mags I was in my car driving. :rofl: I didn't even get directions so I had to call them to figure out where it was I was driving.

And yar - I'm not sure what gen it is, the only thing I remember for sure was that it had finger grooves. The guy I bought from doesn't keep much stock in his store and does most of his business through orders. Someone ordered it and brought it back a week later so it's most likely 3rd gen. I might get a light for it because this might be a HD gun as well IDPA/USPSA. I'll probably leave it mostly stock but with the addition of night sights. I'm so excited, I don't know if I can wait until Tuesday when my license goes through. :o

9. cantankerously

I can't sell a handgun to a non SC resident.

10. xpinchx

Sounds like an excuse to me. :squint:

:mamoru:

11. cantankerously

Streamlight TLR-1 ftw btw.

12. cantankerously

We really can't.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

sounds to me like a 3rd gen. That's a really good deal.

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I would think the C models would be pretty common on .40 glocks

15. cantankerously

If he's got a light on it, it won't matter.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The muzzle flash from the barrel is way worse than the ports. I shoot a lot of night matches and the comp flash thing is a myth. In fact I shoot a red dot gun with a comp at night with slow burning powder (which will have way more flash than fast powder of defensive ammo). The flame of the comp (and we are talking a real comp not the 2 little ports of the glock c models.) is a good 6 to 8 inches above the muzzle and very faint. It does not affect my vision or seeing the dot. It's mostly gas. Now the muzzle has a good amount of flash but not something that affects my night vision.

The ports are far enough forward that I don't think it's going to be a retention issue for the shooter (problem for the threat definately). If you can get a burn from the ports your going to get a burn or a hole from the muzzle.

17. cantankerously

Good to know. I'm thinking of going the Glock route and am stuck between the 19 and 19C.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

http://www.ssashooter.net/video/night shoot.AVI

Here is a shitty video we shot after one of the night matches. I sent it to insight and I thought they would for sure use it on their sight but they didn't. It showcases their m6 weaponlight with laser and I though it was kind of impressive.

This is me with a glock 35 shooting 40 major with fast powder so it is going to be similar to self defense ammo. there is a guy running with a light pointed at my back which is the only way to film at night without night vision.

I'm the top night match guy here in so cal and I've pretty much won every night match in the last 3 years. I just have really good night vision, good technique, and don't let the laser fool you. I can do that with just a regular weaponlight, hand held flashlight, and black on black iron sights. I actually just index the gun at those targets (about 12 yards), and only needed to aim at the last one (about 20 yards and I'm breathing hard from running.)

sorry for the shitty avi. I'm going to shoot some real night match footage with a night vision cam this winter.

19. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

A friend had a Glock 23 that ended up getting stolen, and he replaced it with a 23C. I felt a difference in the recoil on the 23C, but also noticed that the front fights get really gunked up really fast.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

shouldn't you ask about a gun before you buy it? :o

21. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Mossad really likes 19Cs, FWIW. :dunno:

22. xpinchx

Well I got some general info on glocks ant the 19, and when the opportunity came for the 19C I figured I couldn't go wrong. If I don't like it I could always use the $100 I saved to get a new non-ported barrel.

23. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

You would still have the ported slide though.

24. xpinchx

Who cares, they wouldn't be functional. The only down side would be having ambient dirt/dust getting on the outside of the barrel and that's not really a concern for me. :dunno:

25. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I shot a 19c in low light at an indoor range. I didn't note the flash being any worse than the non ported guns I shot in the same light. Since then the 19 has been on my "buy" list but money and opportunity haven't cooperated.

As you say, you always have the option to go with a non-ported barrel. The cuts in the slide shouldn't make any difference. I suppose one could argue that debris could get down into the slide but that would take some pretty bizarre circumstances to occur. Unless you plan on burying it in the backyard as storage, I wouldn't worry about it.