LGBT So I always wondered this, what does it matter if you are born with it or not?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cacophony, Dec 30, 2008.

1. cacophony

cacophony And so they called me Johnny Volcanoseed.

Why should that have any effect?

Regardless of whether you are born with it or developed it through a series of events in your life, it's still the way you are so why should it matter?

It seems like gays are extremely adamant about it being inherent and something you're born with...why? Is it just a defense against hillbillys that want to treat it like a disease? :)ugh2:)

2. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I don't think they're adamant that it is inherent, but I think the scientific research points in that direction.

Me personally, I could care less. However, the majority of the heterosexual population is adamant about it NOT being inherent. Why is that? Probably because then it will give them a reason to call it a disease and treat it like something that needs to be cured or fixed like a flu or a cancer. :rolleyes:

3. cacophony

But bro you just need to give yourself to god and he will fix that shit.

4. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

meh, I don't need fixing....and God has a lot of other things he needs to fix before he goes tinkering with Mother Nature. :bigthumb:

5. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

:werd: Perhaps he could start with ending Wars, then progressing next to the human garbage that drains society instead of contributing to it. Then he could have a go at natural disasters like earthquakes, floods and famine....

6. novo

novo Pokey Man OT Supporter

it's pretty insulting when people you've never met claim to know more about you than you do.

7. 2500

2500 Guest

I believe it has to do with government. If there is a law saying people with black hair cannot get married, and you are born with black hair, you're gonna be pretty pissed cuz, you didn't do anything "wrong" but yet you are not treated equally. If you have blonde hair, can legally get married, and then dye your hair black, then it's like "well you knew the rules, now live with them." If I was born gay, I should be treated equally because I didn't choose to break the rules, I was just born this way, this is who I am." I think alot of it has to do with something along those lines. Plus it combats all the stereotypes that we were molested as a child, or had no fathers, or whatever.

8. I'm unsure. I think it could be things that happened to you as a child or it could be you're born with it, or maybe a mix of the two? :dunno:

9. cacophony

That actually makes quite a lot of sense. I think a lot of that ends up mish-mashed together with nebulous social phobias to form some sort of psuedoscientific justification for hate. People need to have an excuse ready :dunno:

Thanks for the insight gay crew!

10. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

At this point, there is pretty strong scientific evidence to suggest homosexuality has a strong biological component. But like any other personality trait (sexuality is not like haircolor), your final result will vary depending on biological and environmental factors.

From a legal standpoint, though, it doesn't matter. Supposedly we live in a society where the government has to present compelling evidence to take away our rights, but in this case, "God says so" is apparently good enough :dunno:

11. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

when someone tells you that YOU chose to be the way you are...well...like novo said, its pretty god damn insulting when someone claims to know more about you then yourself...so don't tell me or anyone else they chose to be this way

12. blaq19

blaq19 New Member

13. Someone put a penis in my butt and I did like it. I think the same thing goes for our food choices as well.

14. audrey

audrey New Member

I think sexuality is far more complicated than that.

15. audrey

audrey New Member

Good points pen and computergeek.

16. cacophony

I was mainly interested in seeing this discussion being had by regular gay people and not pundits on biased talk shows....carry on :)

17. Bib-Lettuce

Bib-Lettuce New Member

When I hear 'choice' I think 'what am I having for dinner? What movie should I watch?'. To suggest sexuality is something like that is honestly retarded. Though I'd like to think most people mean - It's a choice to stay that way, not a choice to become that way. But they should say that so they don't sound stupid, the biggest enemy to the gay movement is not the gays, it's the people against them since their arguments are usually so stupid and hateful no one can take them seriously.

Also adding on to what Computer_Geek said about food/taste buds the same thing applies to jobs. I like certain things in a job/career and if I work at one I hate for long enough why would I grow to like it? Seems like I would only grow to tolerate it.

18. blaq19

blaq19 New Member

I personally think it's how you were born. I've felt the way I have felt about guys since I was 4-5yrs. old and don't think that situations or circumstances could change it. If I had it my way I'd be straight so my life would be much easier on me and everyone around me but it doesn't work that way.

19. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

I remember being in 1st grade thinking the older guys were hot :mamoru:

pedo? :o

20. I didn't really think of super homo shit until I was like 11-12 or so. :o

21. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Born with what? A huge brain?