MIL So how much income does a Marine make?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Alamo_Jake, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Alamo_Jake

Alamo_Jake Sorry I'm not sorry.

I've got a couple questions...

I'm a strong believer in public service, volunteer work, serving my country, etc. and am considering joining the Marines after I graduate college (got about a year and a half left). My 1st question is do the marines care what your college degree is in and 2nd, how much money does a marine make? Thx for your help.

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Unless you're trying to get into JAG, just about any degree from any accredited school is good. Thinking about getting a degree in basket weaving? How much money a Marine makes depends on rank, time in service, married, dependents...

3. Alamo_Jake

Alamo_Jake Sorry I'm not sorry.

So let's say I'm single, no dependents, college degree, and its my 1st year in the service...and let's also say that I go to OCS to be an officer when I graduate...

Or is there somewhere online I can go to that will give me this info? I browsed around the Marine's website but couldn't find much...

4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

i dont know the exact amount an O-1 makes. Do a google search for a paychart / payscale for military.

5. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

As previously stated degree does not matter except for JAG, although in the selection process if your GPA looks bad they might give you some bonus points if you are in a more difficult major.

Also be aware that when you contract you'll have to choose whether you want to go air or ground. Recently it has been more difficult to get the air slots, but it changes so often it could be completely different by now. I would assume if two guys were tied for an air slot they'd give the nod to the guy with the more technical degree since flight school has math.

This is a good site to see what the pay is like depending on where you get stationed. http://www.dod.mil/cgi-bin/rmc.pl

The pay isn't the greatest, but as the Accord, the greatest Marine of all time might say, "It isn't about how much income a Marine makes, it's about how much of a difference we make".

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

base pay for the first 2 years is
    O-1 2555.70

thats not including any extra money you will make like BAH, BAS, Hazardous duty blah blah blah

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i would say maybe 40-45k pretax first year with your housing, food, and medical needs taken care of.

8. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

officers start in the 35-40K/year range, and after four years make about 70-80K/year

it could be slightly more or less depending on your duty station, but that's a good ballpark.

try googling "military pay scales" and then look at the "O" ranks.

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

You would be pretty well off as long as you're not a financial retard.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

:werd:

11. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm making 15K this year oorah semper fidelis.

12. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

You're an E3, what do you expect? You casually forgot that you get free rent, electricty, water, and food. So your 15K, which is actually 19K, goes straight to your pocket.

13. Accord

Accord New Member

15k is what I expect.

14. R-San-Ni

R-San-Ni New Member

It's better than when I was an E-3. There's almost a $500/month difference.

15. R-San-Ni

R-San-Ni New Member

HA! Yea, I'm part of a local car forum, and this car I'm building is a cross between 2 cars, originally it was black, but I swaped out the front body panels, which are black...and someone said that my car looked like a panda. So I decided to look up funny panda pics for a new AV and I found this picture, I thought it was hilarious, so I started using it. Now it has sorta grown on me.

16. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

my income almost doubles feb 1st when i start getting bah... thats just insane. pay starts to pick up a lot once you make E5.

17. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

well, when you think about it, that doesnt double your income, because youll be dropping it on housing, which you are already receiving aswell...youll probly make a good chunk of it to save still though

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

ya im only using 650 of my 1640 for rent so ill be pocketing a bunch.

19. R-San-Ni

R-San-Ni New Member

E5 is a substantial raise, especially when you hit 6 and 8 years.

I'm not too pleased however with the new BAH change that happened a few years back. Overseas is better than CONUS. I remember at Kadena AB, OHA and full rate COLA was outstanding! $1200 max for E4 OHA and $600 for COLA not to mention utilities & BAS. Moving back to CONUS was a HUGE pay cut.

OHA > BAH.

20. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

hehehe it made me giggle!

21. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

You only get your rent though with OHA afaik, max may be higher (cause its something outrageous like 4 grand in bahrain or something), but you can't pocket any money.

22. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

That must have been awhile back. If you are a single E-4 or lower COLA is nowhere near $600 even if you live off-base. Its struggling right around $350 - $400 now (depending on the strength of the yen of course). OHA you also aren't going to get any of that money as your Housing Agency will always max out your allowance. BAS is what...$280 or so? Thats the same as CONUS. Utilities is ok during the fall and winter, but whatever savings you had disappears during the spring and summer. The only thing you would have lost was your COLA (which is still a pretty decent chunk of change today).

I'd say BAH is better than OHA for the simple fact that you can split the rent with roommates and keep the extra. You can't do that with OHA.

23. Pusan

Pusan New Member

reservist + deployed = BAH for no lease.

Extra 1200 a month.

24. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

guard + actived - not deployed = basic pay + flight pay + BAH + PerDiem = ~$5k/mo for me as an E-4 ftw

25. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Is that for a single person, or married? If it is for a single person I guess its not bad depending on how much income you left behind in your civilian life. If its married more than likely that $1200 isn't shit.