GUN so how much does it cost for an sbr?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thomor25, Jun 8, 2007.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

How much does it cost to get one, not the actual weapon but what do you have to go through?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If your CLEO will sign off its $200 for the tax stamp, and whatever local cops charge for finger prints, I think thats it. If you have to go the Trust route dunno what that costs to set up.

3. thomor25

yeah I read about that with the trust. I'm thinking about selling my bushmaster ar pistol and getting an sbr. Seeing is a class 3 dealer in pa will do a trade plus cash.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  4. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Set up a Revocable Living Trust through Quicken Willmaker, it only takes a couple minutes and it's easy to do. When you create a trust it's the Declaration of Trust and you create list of items you can put in it. These are owned by the trust, but your the trustee or owner. Here in VA you don't have to register the trust through the Clerk's office or anything, but you do have to get it notarized... it cost me nothing to set this up.

Then all you do is fill out the application along with a check for $200, and a copy of the Certification of Trust, it's just a smaller version of your Delcaration, and then wait. No CLEO, no fingerprints... just Form 1, copy of trust and a $200 check. I mailed mine out regular mail and it was box to box 30 days. It was only 19 days from the time they cashed my check that I received my stamp. Everyone says you get everything back a lot faster this way as they don't have to wait on the FBI background check.

The nice thing with a trust is, now that its set up any Class III stuff is really easy to do since all I need is a copy of my trust.

5. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

With the trust, do you have to have more than 1 person listed on it, or can you be the only one?

6. Bdog

^

I created my own trust, so I'm the grantor and I also appointed myself as the trustee. If a lawyer sets one up their the grantor and they appoint you the trustee. I'd say it would be good to have a beneficiary just in case, and they also have an incapacity member, in case you can't function on your own. One way a trust helps is if they ban the private transfer of firearms and you have them listed in the trust, anyone in the trust can take possession if needed. There are other benifits to placing items in a trust, but I don't know enough about them. It worked great getting my Class III though. Also I had to engrave the trust name in my receiver, but as long as I have keep the trust paperwork, it will never expire.

7. thomor25

how long does it usually take? Could I just make one with a pistol upper and a reg lower?

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Do you mean regular or registered? If the barrel is under 16" (pinned crap aside) it has to be on a lower thats been through the sbr process otherwise you have an illegal SBR.

On a side note, and not to turn this into another 5.7 thread, but remember alot of the wounding capacity of the 5.56 round is from its velocity and it drops velocity quickly with short barrels. If you ever potentially see this as a possible defensive weapon don't cut the barrel too short. You might also consider putting a 6.8spl upper on it to better cope with the shorter barrel.

9. thomor25

I was looking around 11in not the kitty kat 7's or I was possibly considering just getting a 16in upper.

10. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

I built mine for 1600.

11. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I was considering a 6.8 upper... But for everyone who is, I heard that Remington just dropped all production for this round.... Anyone else seen or heard this anywhere?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  12. Bdog

Spikes lower + parts kit + Vltor stock, Gear Sector 1 piece sling and ERGO grip for $395.00. CMMG 11.5" MedCon upper w/ MI #20 handguards and YHM rear flip sight for $850.00. So I've got about $1,245.00 in rifle and $200.00 in the NFA receiver stamp. Total build price is around $1,445.00 so far. I may get a low profile gas block one day and an Aimpoint or some kind of sight.

You can build a cool SBR for under the price of most off the shelf 16"+ AR's. It's cool at a range to have a little something most no one else has or has ever seen.

13. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

register the lower as a sbr lower... why get fucked on a trade in when you can do the same fucking thing? engrave your info very tiny on the bottom of the barrel so its not really visible.

14. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i thought you still had to go through a background check if you went the trust route?

15. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm pretty sure you do. You don't have to get the CLEO sig or do the fingerprints or picture though I think.

16. Bdog

^^

There is no SS or drivers license# or anything to check on the application or trust. The trust doesn't have to even be your proper name if you don't want it to be, I've seen all kind of trust names, so how can they backround a trust? The trust only has a name and the application only has my trust name. Maybe they do a backround check, but I'm not sure how they do it.

17. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Well, I'm just going by what I read, so it may not be accurate. I read that the trustee has a background check done on them :dunno: Otherwise, it would be a HUGE loophole to getting ANY weapon.

18. Bdog

^

I guess they can go by the Trustee, but all they have is a name. You would think there would be all kinds of extra checks, since you are actually manufacturing a NFA firearm.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Cool, just wanted you to be warned. 11" just barely gets a 55gr round to frag velocity. M193 will drop below reliable fragmentation range after 40-45m. I'd still suggest a 75gr tap round over that anyway but its something alot of people want to know.... A 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded on flash hider might be a compromise you'd consider as well.

Nope but I've heard 10mm is dead and I should get rid of it too :big grin: I have not heard that, I'd check with remington 1st hand if thats all that holding you back. The wounding potential over 5.56 looks quite significant, although for much shooting you might want to be a reloader :big grin:

20. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I am also waiting on RRA 6.8 uppers to be released in any quantity, so it's not the ONLY thing holding me off, but it's going to be quite a deterrent if it's bigger pusher drops out of the game.

Oh, and 10mm is dead. :fawk:

21. thomor25

pic?

22. thomor25

never thought of that, hmmm thats a good idea.

23. Bdog

The CMMG upper should ship later this week or next week, I'll post up some pics when I get it all together.

24. thomor25

i seriously never throught about just using the ar pistol.

25. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

always keepin a lookout for folks to save money... no point in pissing it away just because you have it.