So how many people actually DON'T run their account as Admin?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Little Spunky $#!T, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I have mine set as Admin just because I'm too lazy to switch accounts when I need to install something, and, I don't have a problem with ad-aware because I knwo what to look for. But I was just curious if anyone does this, or, if you work on other people's computers, if you set it up so they don't have accounts running as admin?

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

I always run under ADMIN account, i set up a "other" account on my home PC for when peolpe come over to use my PC for X reason .... they are under "restricted user".

3. Boho

Boho Active Member

I run as a restricted user...

Sure its a pain once in a while, but I think its worth it.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

everyday stuff i am a restricted user. This also applies to my linux/unix boxes

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Linux, Yes.
    Windows, No.

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

guilty as charged. i am always admin/root

7. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

I never run as root under linux unless performing maintenance tasks...and even then its very easy to su and enter a password....no real reason to be root ALL the time :dunno:

8. 01000101

01000101 New Member

on xp i use an admin priv account, but not THE admin account. i think only once did a program require me to be on "administrator"

9. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I use sudo instead of suing to root.

10. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Windows - Yes, too lazy to care, even if i do fuck up
    Linux - No, one fuckup and i could really fuck up bad

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Too many programs are a pain in the ass to run as a restricted user, if they run at all.

12. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I run windows as admin, and linux as user.

13. bleak

bleak Guest

^--- What he said.

14. beez

beez New Member

That's my approach, although I've definitely gotten lazy when configuring server apps in Linux and logged in as root.

15. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

16. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Same here. Although now that I'm running XP 64bit, there's a total of 2 viruses out there that can do anything, and when I use the 64bit version of IE, spyware can't touch me.

17. Apothis

Apothis New Member

That's really what it comes down to. On linux/os x, limited user is fine for regular use. Their programmers have enough foresight to not screw you. But it's just more trouble than it's worth in Windows. Far too much software is designed just "expecting" you to have admin rights, and they seem unable to envison any senario in which a non-admin would be using it. It is either gimped or just doesn't work at all, unless you have god-power over the system.

I run into this shit every day at work. For security, we try to restrict users, use active directory, ect. But there's just so damn much software that doesn't work for crap unless they're admin. Or otherwise, we can use file and registry monitoring tools to selectively give them rights to the resources they need, but sometimes it's just too much to be worth the time and trouble ..might as well just admin them. Sometimes power user will do, sometimes not. Though that's still more access than we want them to have. :rant2:

At home, I've tried to run limited from time to time, but I run into the same issues with my own stuff. Just isn't worth it.

18. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Same theory I use with my kids. My 6 year old is a MAJOR geek already. He can install windows with only minimal supervision. I got home from the store one day, and he had told my wife "the stupid computer is messed up. I'm going to reinstall windows". my wife hid the disks and told him to wait for me to get home.

I tried to use limited for them, but when they want to install a game (nicktoons racing comes to mind), it won't let them install it. I install it from Admin, and then it won't run on their name. So I just left it open and hope for the best.

19. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I never run as root, I just su if I need to install something or edit some config files.

As for Windows, well, I don't use Windows except for about an hour a week at school, and there I'm obviously not admin.

20. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

:werd: I got sick of making shortcuts to programs to "Rus As..."

21. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

no, I never run under the root or administrator account unless absolutely required.

22. sithmaster

sithmaster Guest

Well, I have two drives partitioned. One is in my room that I have setup with 2k and Debian. I run 2k as admin. The other is partitioned with 2k and Fedora Core 3. I run Fedora Core 3 as root, and I run as admin. but have personal accounts for family members. The current machine that I am on is 98. I just use a personal account.

23. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

24. beez

beez New Member

We always just give our faculty admin on their own machines along with a stern warning not to do anything unduly stupid. People completely fucking up their machines to the point of a reinstall was pretty rare. We also had a backup app which would maintain remote copies of their My Documents directory along with anything else they told us was important, just in case. I think it really depends on the level of understanding your users have of the machines. This was a university communications department filled with people who had a lot of experience with web media and whatnot, so it was a little bit different from your general office filled with computer illiterates.

25. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I see I'm not the only one then that runs as Admin.... As long as you know what you're doing and not a complete idiot when it comes to computers, I think you'll be safe.