So how many of you had problems with SP3?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, Sep 27, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

I was dealing with some issues last night when I got home and decided what the hell and finally installed it (windows update has been staring at me for weeks with it now) - why not install a service pack on top of pre-existing issues right?. I'm blaming it for officially tanking my system. :hsd: When all was said and done before I said fuck it and formatted - It would reboot its self a number of times - fail booting to safe mode - and finally start to load windows just to log me off and not let me back on.

Formatted and it's been good so far. Actually installing SP3 right now so :x: to this working so I can go to bed. Would like move on to memtest tomorrow (or Monday if I leave for the weekend) to figure out if I've got RAM issues that started this downward spiral.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Installed it at work on 150+ machines with no issues.

3. waldo98

waldo98 OT Supporter

:werd:

4. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

For some reason, I got the HP version that crapped out on AMD machines. I got a patch for it and always apply it to every AMD-based desktop I upgrade to SP3 just incase.

Other than that, SP3's been good so far.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i have an HP desktop with their shitty XP MCE image and an AMD processor and SP3 was horrendous on my machine even after the HP patch. the first time it just failed due to that known issue with AMD systems that HP built. the second time it just would not let me share any media through WMP11. i tried everything i could to get it fixed and couldn't so i backed out SP3 and was fine again.

i upgraded to a clean install of Vista now so i have 0 SP3 woes. :)

6. jdw

jdw New Member

well it's 'alive' on SP3 now so hopefully it holds up. Still need to make a bootable memtest disk so I can run that test.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

sp3 hosed 3 machines when it first came out.

I'm not sure if they did something but I've recently installed it a few more times with no problems.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

They did release two versions of it (than I'm aware of). We didn't release it until the 2nd version came out.

9. jdw

jdw New Member

Did SP3 show as part of windows update early in its release? I had my machine set to download the updates and wait for me to install - I wonder if I didn't have an older release? What are the remote chances that'd actually happen....

None the less - I've been installing some of my software now this evening and its still stable. Here's to hoping I guess.

10. huangsta

huangsta OT Supporter

sp3 wasn't compatible with the video cards on 2 of my machines...

11. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

35 PCs or so, no issues.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My mother is having some rundll32.exe issue after installing SP3, but she uses software so fucking old that it's...well...really old...so it's probably one of her old programs that's shitting the bed because the security hole it relied on is gone.

Other than that, I've had no issues at all, not even on machines without legit XP keys.