MMA So how is everyone's training going as of late?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Personally, me changing schools was the best thing I could have done. I've learned more in the past three weeks than I did in the prior 6 months. Having an instructor that can break down techniques and knows how to drill them is ftw.

Last night, he said he was going to set up a test for me and one other guy for our first stripe. When Carlos Machado was in town he did some testing for stripes with the guys from my school, our affiliate in New Orleans, and some out of towners, but with me being so new I didn't think I was ready for it, so I opted out. I probably could have done it though, but whatever. I would like to have a blue belt before I'm 40 (I just turned 36), but that's just me being a bit ego-centric.

Also, my instructor is going to help me finally get tested for a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. It's borderline irrelevant, but after having trained in TKD as long as I have, I'd like to have a Kukkiwon Black Belt.

The Han Mu do stuff is interesting. It's a lot of throws and joint locks, as well as strikes. Last night we did some light contact sparring, which was the first time for me in a while. And to mix it up, every 30 seconds the instructor would call for a take down and you had 10 seconds to either execute one or defend against it. That was the first time I'd worked takedowns in a live sparring setting and it was eye opening. I got two, defended one, and got leg swept once. I did better the second time around, getting two takedowns and defending two, but still thought I should have done better. I definitely need work in that aspect.

My ground work has also gotten better. I still have to work on keeping from getting my guard passed against someone with a big size/strength advantage, but I feel more confident and I'm getting smoother with positional transitions.

Now, if I could go back in time to when I was 26 instead of 36...

2. miek

miek New Member

:coold: Cool stuff, I'm balls deep in exams right now and there's a tourney on the 27th :noes: I sure as hell hope I'm ready for it because I've been slackin these last couple weeks because of school.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm recently coming back and focusing on grappling and trying to get ready for some end of the year BJJ tourneys. I'm looking foreward to the head of our association (Marcello Monteiro) coming out for a seminar and working towards my blue belt.

My workouts are going well. I wouldn't say I'm excelling as of late but I've been out of the game for a while and I am definitely keeping up with more advanced guys that I know are better than me, who I really like to challenge myself against.

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

just got back in after almost a 2 month break. it was lame.

my body is just trying to adjust back. But every day i am more disinterested in my gym and want to leave. once I get some money together i think i'm bouncing.

oh, and my flexibility is gone. out the window, my legs are so tight right now, just boxing was hurting my groin.

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

ive been training as hard as ever, my focus now is taking the back, half guard sweeps, and getting my take downs as crisp as can be. Other than that, I've also been eating really really healthy for a while now, and had great consistency in the gym in terms of lifting/conditioning. For a while, I've been stressed out about school/life but the training really has been a critical factor in reminding me that everyday I can at least look forward to it.

6. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

not as focused the last few weeks as i'd like to be, only been able to go twice a week thanks to flag football at college. and this week is slamming me with work.

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

new job stuff starting = no training.

Also, I emailed the guy at baltimore bjj and I'll probably swing by next week after in set up in maryland and working.

9. Rob H

Rob H New Member

just got back to classes last night after making it once in 6 weeks because of work :(

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

cool, let me know when you'll be going, maybe we can train

11. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Apparently I have really good reverse triangles and omaplatas

12. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I landed a gogoplata last night. That was fun. :big grin:

And got a helicopter arm bar (from butterfly guard, pick the opponent up with your feet, hang on to one arm, drop him and transition to arm bar) on the big goofy kid that neck cranks everyone. He didn't expect me to be able to pick him up. :rofl:

13. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I hate you. I've been trying that for YEARS after I saw it in a book and never got it :(

14. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I have short, flexible legs and can pull them into my chest really tight. So it's fairly easy for me to get under someone's center to get them off the ground.

Once they're up, drop the leg on the same side as the arm you want to armbar and they'll fall right into it.

15. xrukus07x

xrukus07x Active Member

im slackin so bad.:wtc:

16. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i want to be the best!

17. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

I'm the exact same way. Too much work too early in the morning, I'm asleep by the time class rolls around.

18. Rob H

Rob H New Member

class for me is at 6 or 7:30, i have been stuck working untill 8-10 at night and a couple nights till midnight, and two nights till 4:45 and 6:30 in the morning and coming back to work at 9 that morning! :ugh:

19. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I'm working on sweeps from guard and half guard, and my triangles and armbars are getting clean and cleaner.

For a while, I stopped crossfacing altogether, because I thought I was relying on it too much as a substitute for poor form. I'm using them again, but trying to use them only to help set something else up.

20. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I think things are about to take a turn for the better. For a while now I've not felt like MMA was my thing anymore. I trained HARD for quite a while had a fight won quickly and decisively and didn't feel anything from it. I think I've come to realize(and I've always probably known this in the back of my mind) that grappling is my thing. I love grappling, I don't have near the same passion for MMA. So this week starts the first week back to concentration on grapplying 90% of the time and I'm more excited than I've been to train in a long time.

21. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I just started gettin my ass back in the gym seriously a week or 2 ago. Things are coming along well.

This morning I boxed with Luigi Firovanti and some others nothing too special, goin to the body, mits, bag work, etc...

22. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

[​IMG]

23. Rob H

Rob H New Member

24. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Training BJJ 2-3 times a week (no-gi and gi). Trying so hard to balance working out/cardio with it. BJJ wears me out for days, and I think only because I'm not use to it yet (my 3rd week into bjj)

Fun shit

25. Rob H

Rob H New Member

they let you train no gi that quick? my school doesn't let you attend the no gi class untill you are a three stripe white.