So, how hard is it to build a computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by teh_1337n3ss, Aug 25, 2007.

1. teh_1337n3ss

teh_1337n3ss Active Member

I mean, i know all the basic parts i need to buy, case, motherboard, processor, ram, etc.. but when you have all the parts in front of you ready to build, how hard is it to like screw in the motherboard, and put in the power supply, stuff like that? and is there any specific order of putting parts in? like power supply first, then motherboard? any help appreciated, thanks.

2. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

It's a good learning experience. If you're not comfortable doing it, then I would suggest no.

I think it's fairly easy. Built 3 so far. Ask me about the 'issues' that arise from conflicts, driver issues etc...that's another story. ;)

3. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

how about this, got an old computer that you dont need anymore but still works? take it completly apart and put it back together correctly and make sure it still works, practice that way

BUT I RECOMMENDED THIS ON AN OLD COMPUTER YOU KNOW WORKS BUT YOU DONT MIND DESTROYING!!!

Thats what I did. learned that putting the cpu and the heatsink on then the ram in then putting the mobo in the case, then the HD and opticle drive then plug all the power stuff in, cause most times the powersupply is in the way of everything else. boot it up see if it works and AWAY YOU GO!!! :mamoru:

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

IMO, the hardest part in building a computer is figuring out what components to buy.

Assembly is pretty easy. Either you just plug or screw something in.

Most connections are idiot proof too (e.g. male to female plugs are shaped proportionally so you can't plug them upside down or something).

A screw driver, installation instructions on the manual, and common sense are probably the only things you need.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

only problem i ever run into are the power connectors, hdd led, reset button. lots of cases and mobos are different, but it's as simple as following a diagram

6. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

As for building the computer itself, its easy to put the RAM, processor and heatsink onto the motherboard first, then load it inside the case with the PSU installed. If your case has a removable motherboard tray, that's even simpler, because you can add the video cards and other PCI cards too, then just slide it in.

The way I learned, is that I read a lot of online forums for tips and directions, then read some more, and more. Then I asked my older brother to help. I read more articles, then took my computer apart, cleaned the dust out of it and reassembled it. My first truly built computer is my current SFF box.

7. Robo

Robo New Member

I learned first by taking my old HP apart a while back, rebuilding it, upgrading it, modifying it when necessary (damned near had to turn the bitch into a leaf blower to keep it cool), etc.
    Then I built my first pc from scratch with a friend, then I helped other friends work on theirs, then i had to rebuild the pc i had into a new case with some new components...yadda yadda yadda...now I'm building a new one.
    You just learn as you go along, but the actual process isn't too tough or complex.

I work at an electronics store in networking and upgrades, had a guy today that hadn't built a PC in 20 years and wanted to put together a simple PC just as a little project. He had been out of the PC loop for a while obviously so had quite a bit of catching up to do.
    Took me about 30min to explain everything from the case to the cpu to the gpu, psu and everything else and all the options available for what he was doing, without getting into higher-end shit, which is a whole 'nother thing.

THAT is the hardest part though, just figuring out, comparing, and eventually choosing the shit you want or can afford to put in the computer, then sometimes waiting for other shit to be available, like my damned motherboard i'm still waiting on.

Dealing with problems can be a bitch too, especially like the ones I had to deal with where my main computer was affected and i had the constant fear of fucking something up and being s.o.l. or ending up killing a full hd or some shit.
    Building a new one aint so bad. You just find out where the problem is, fix it or replace it, and move on till you get it up and running.

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Not hard. But it will increase in difficulty exponentially if you do something wrong. Always remember to make sure the memory is seated in the slot correctly and tightly and that you use standoffs when attaching the mobo to the case. I spent an hour once with a build trying to figure out what was wrong and it turned out that the RAM was not seated properly into the mobo. I also saw a guy on OT years ago fry his entire rig by attaching the mobo directly to the metel case without using standoffs. Flipped the switch and turned the entire board into one big open circuit. Ouch.

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Intel did away with pins on the cpu's so you don't have to worry about bending a pin. That used to be about the only major concern when building a computer.

Typically, you put the psu in first like you suggested.

Then the next step varies depending on who you ask.

I like to put the cpu and heatsink on the motherboard before I install it.

Some people like to put the motherboard in first, but I find it's a lot easier to put the cpu on the motherboard while it's on a table top in good lighting.

Everything else is really just a matter of following directions as has already been stated here.

10. als54

als54 OT Supporter

+1 on that... just take our time building it and don't get wigged out over problems with the build you will encounter some. Good luck.

11. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic Active Member

its like legos. you just have to know what parts are compatible first.

12. Roadkill_ak_47

Roadkill_ak_47 Support your local Pirate

I'd say get a friend to guild u threw how to build your first computer

but before you do that, clean the kitchen table and dismantle your computer and rebuild it, so you can see where stuff go's and if you brake it well u where about to get a new one anyway

cliffs rebuild current system to familiarizer yourself with how it go's together

13. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

my only problem with my build was the "clamp" for the intel processor felt like it would break before it clipped it, but the rest is a cake walk.

14. PHXDEMON

PHXDEMON Taints N Beans OT Supporter

Just don't slip with the screwdriver installing the heatsink. Make sure you have all the small wires hooked up right (power and hdd leds and power button e.t.c.), and if your installing multiple hard drives make sure you have the master and slave jumpers set correctly. If it still doesn't work RTFM.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's easy to build a computer. It's hard to build a good computer.

You cannot reach the sunlit meadow without first passing through the shadowed forest, young grasshopper.

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

[​IMG]

17. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I've been building them since I was 10. I've probably built 20+ for friends/family and myself. It's really not too hard. I would suggest to take your time with it, because some of it is precise work.