So how do you meet people?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by purebad, Apr 18, 2007.

1. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

I'm a senior in college, I graduate in 3 weeks, I will be relocating to Atlanta for a job (from kentucky) in a month or so. Once I start working, I will be on the road during the week, flying to cities all over the southern states. I will only be home in ATL for the weekends usually. All through college, I have had a hard time meeting new people that end up becoming more than just one time acquaintances. The problem is even worse with girls as you can imagine. I consider myself pretty personable once I've been around someone a couple times, its just I have a hard time making real conversation with complete strangers to the end of trying to be friends...

I was recently in my first real relationship, and dropped. So now I'm looking around, and I just don't even know any girls to even think about starting to scope out. This is also compounded by the relocation problem, I fear I will be even worse off once I get relocated to a new city meeting people, especially if I will only be around for the weekends.. So I guess there is really nothing for me to do until I get moved, seems like it would be in vain. BUT once I get to Atlanta, what the hell should I do??? :noes:

2. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to teach yourself how to approach people. You will be in a new city where no one knows you, which should lessen the fear. You can act like a complete fool and won't have to worry about seeing the people ever again. The only way you learn anything is by practicing

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Take it step by step man. I mean first you have to get situated and discover what your new home city has to offer. Once you do that I guess it's up to you. I don't know if you are a club guy, a small bar guy, etc. But you have to figure out the places to go that interest you, not necessarily figure out the best places to meet women, because you want to be comfortable! And also, it's one thing to ponder where you should meet women when you move to this new city, but you even said that you are barely going to be home. Do you really want to try and find a relationship right away when you might not even be home often?

4. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Make a post in the strickly platonic section on craigslist saying that you're new in town and want to meet new people. That's the first thing I would do if I was moving to a new city where I didn't know anyone. You could also try to get some atlanta OTers together for a meet.

5. purebad

Yeah, my previous relationship showed me how much I really enjoy dating...but that may be related to not knowing many people in general, having a girlfriend(or a really strong relationship with one person) seems to make my lack of normal friends not as big a deal.

6. purebad

I've never used craigslist, I would be so :noes:

7. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

Dude, Atlanta's a hot spot with all kinds of clubs, night spots, events, restaurants, etc., and just shit in general to do. They've got a couple lakes further south (Lake Oconee/Lake Sinclair) that act as a real magnet, and it's always a good lead in to other conversation to mention hitting the lakes up for some partying.

8. Midgetized

I don't know about you but I'd rather be a little :noes: than sitting at home being :wtc: because you have no one to hang out with. People on the internet are no different than people you meet anywhere else, everyone uses the internet now. If you are worried about it you can always try to get a group of people together. That way even if one person is a nut you'll still have other people to talk to.

9. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Building a good social circle is actually pretty tough to do, if you have any standards :p

Start by meeting lots of attractive women. They are usually surrounded by pretty cool guys. It's going to take a fair amount of work to get good at, but there are lots of resources available.

10. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

MySpace.

Add a shitload of local girls. Find the ones close by and get their MSNs, talk to them but not forever. Get their number, ask them out.

Flawless for me personally. Met my current girlfriend on there, got friendzoned by another girl but she is a good friend and gym buddy now. ;)

11. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

I feel it's much easier to meet people online compared to randomly approach strangers. With the nets you can do a little more filtering before commiting any time to talk, and by the time you meet you at least know a bit about each other. In fact, if there seems to be no chemistry or common interests, no meeting even needs to occur.

Nothing wrong with going up to strangers to have conversation in public, but in my experience the reward is low due to high likelyhood of incompatibility.

Internet = pre-filter
    Random approach = don't know anything about the person except look

look << compatibility

12. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Get into things in the area. Martial arts, etc..

13. purebad

ironic, but I just created a craigslist account, and the secret code was "PEERS" lol...

14. Get out there and meet people, it is as simple as that.

15. Midgetized

:werd: Also unless you are naturally very social it's hard to just walk up to random people and try to be their friend. I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about doing that.

16. Midgetized

:cool: good luck, let us know how it goes :bigthumb:

17. purebad

well, it feels like it would be awkward, you know, trying to push the issue of being friends...

18. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

It's (approach stranger in public) also more likely to waste your time.

On the internet with one click you can already limit the people you are about to chat up to only those having similar interests as you, similar religious/political outlook as you...etc etc. You can't do that out there in the public.

19. monotones

monotones New Member

except sometimes finding someone a bit different from you that you know nothing about yet is a refreshing surprise

20. Midgetized

:werd: I'm not sure how people would go about doing that. Maybe hand them a note that says "do you want to be my friend? check yes or no" :mamoru:

21. purebad

highschool.jpg :mamoru:

22. giz

giz Active Member

I actually did this to a totally random chick in the cafeteria just 2 days ago (college). The note:

Will you marry me?
    [] Yes
    [] No
    [] Maybe

ala Wedding Crashers. I simply walk up, smile, hand it to her, then return to my table where all my friends are giving me ":noes:" looks. 5 minutes later, she comes by and drops off the note. It's checked Yes and her phone number is written on the bottom. All of the sudden, my friends are giving me ":bigthumb:" looks and the entire mood of the meal changed.

I call her 5 minutes later and open asking if she prefers spring flowers or fall leaves, because we need to choose our wedding date. I still don't know her name at this point. We end up chatting for about 30 minutes.

I now have a new friend, soon enough all of her friends will also be mine, and from there it only grows. It's not that difficult to build up a social network, it just takes some patience and a willingness to TRY.

23. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

:bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Yes! It's about action, guts.

Men are of action.

The very fact you did that showed confidence.

24. purebad

yeah I need to get on that bandwagon, so I hear :blue:

25. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Dot.

Uh. Disagree.