So how come I can't burn any slower?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Jul 13, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

Is there anyway to burn dvd's slower than the choices they give you? I want to burn at 2.4x to enhance the quality of the dvd, but the slowest this new drive will let me burn at is 6x. im using Alcohol120% btw.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, the ignorance is strong. DVDs are ***DIGITAL*** It does not matter what speed you burn at... digital quality is digital quality. The same data burned at 16x is has the same "quality" as data burned at 1x.

3. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

the only way you might be able to burn slower would be to try different software, nero lets me burn from 2.4 up to the media's max speed. you can't improve quality. as long as your computer can keep up with the burn speed there really isnt a good reason to burn slower.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

People used to give me that line all the time when I used to do sales, "my friend who knows a lot about computers says...."
    You know how that one goes.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

more evidence that we should require compentancy testing before letting people use computers... Then another test before you can work/build them.

6. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

i think he meant the quality of the burn in on the dvd. i know on cds, if you slowed down the burn, it would create a darker burn on the cd, thus being able to read it better on older drives. is this not true anymore for dvds?

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

yea that is what i meant, sorry for the confusion. ive read in many sources that burning at slower speeds is much much more preferred.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It does make a difference on the readability of the DVD. The faster the burn, the lighter the burn. Some DVD players won't play high-speed DVDR media because the optics can't distinguish the "pits" from the "lands" in the media dye.

Before accusing others of being ignorant, you might want to make sure you are not.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a Pioneer DVD drive that was one of the first models on the market... It reads DVDs just fine. I also have the craptastic $40 players that still works. Ever heard of a "myth" or "wives tale"?

10. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

:ugh: PIE/PIF errors, please say you've heard of these, no "myth" or "wives tale" here dude.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Ever heard of reality? I'm glad your sample size of 2 was sufficient for you to jump to the wrong conclusion, but I've seen 8x DVDs not play in DVD players before (specifically my old samsung player, which would also not play most CDR media for the same reason) but the same disk burned at 2.4x worked fine. I've also seen older DVD-ROM drives that would not read 8x and 16x DVDs because the pickup was not sensitive enough.

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I always burn slow because of my tremendous ability of making coasters. One time I actually managed to yank the power cord out of the computer - made a nice little etch mark in the CD :rofl:

I'm never in a rush to make media so I don't really care about speed.

13. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

haha well you all make good points but, i still havent gotten an answer to my question. i burn with recordnow, alchohol 120% and nero. i just wanna burn at 2.4x like i could with my old dvd drive....i know what ur saying "then just use that one" well that one doesnt burnd dvd-r media, the new one does and thats the one that wont burn any slower than 6x

14. 5Gen_Prelude

Maybe your drive doesn't support the lower speed?

15. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Should be able to select in Nero at what speed you'd like to burn at. I don't think they have 2.4x specifically but i see 2x all the way upto 16x

16. 5Gen_Prelude

All depends on the specs of the DVD drive

17. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

yea i looked at nero. i used nero express and itd only lemme choose between 8 and 6. maybe if i use regular nero itll have more options but im running sort of late right now, so ill check later on. thanks for the help.

and also the model number of my drive is DRU-800A if u guys no a place where u can check up on that to see the slowest it supports. cuz from looknig at the box, i dont see it anywhere