So here is a problem thats been pissing me off...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CodeX, Oct 30, 2008.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Normally I can solve random problems like this on my own... but I've tried everything I can think of and so I'm breaking down and asking for help with it.

First let me say that my computer never shuts down, before trying to fix this problem my uptime was close to 6 months.

So about a week ago I get home from work and sit down to my computer and am browsing OT and someone linked to some youtube video so I go to check it out and I find out I have no audio output....

Now, for the last couple of years I have been using an external usb sound blaster thing (can't really call it a card..) that has an optical toslink connection to my receiver. So, I check all the connections, check to see if the receiver is set up right (sometimes if we lose power you have to go through the setup process again), and everything looks good.

So its about then I notice I have no volume control icon in my system tray. I go into "Sounds and Audio Devices" control panel and on the first tab it says "No Audio Device".... I go into the hardware tab and my audio hardware is listed as normal. I open up the properties page for it and it is enabled (Device Usage: Use this device), and on the properties tab under "Audio Devices" I opened that window and it was also set properly to "Use audio features on this device".

So now im like wtf... I open up device manager and look under "Sound, video and game controllers" and my device is listed with no red x icon or yellow exclamation icon. I open up the properties and again its all set up right (pretty sure its the same window that comes up from the sounds and audio devices control panel hardware tab).

Next, I open up services.msc to ensure that windows audio service is running and set to automatic, and sure enough it is....

At this point I remove the external sound blaster and plug in an internal card and reboot. It shows up in device manager properly and everything looks fine but again under "Sounds and Audio Devices" it says "No Audio Device"....

I then remove that and enable my onboard AC'97 audio through the bios and restart, same thing happens. It shows up properly, says it is enabled and being used and has correct drivers but again I get "No Audo Device"

People have told me to rollback drivers because the windows updater might have screwed it up but I do not use windows update, never have. Also, the original external sound blaster has no drivers, its plug and play USB as far as I know I have never installed drivers for it, and will swap it to my girlfriends laptop and never needed drivers on that either.

I am out of ideas, I have searched the problem online but everyone I find is solved by updated drivers or enabling the windows audio service or plugging the damn thing in or some stupid thing I have already tried.

Any ideas?

---Cliffs:
    - "No Audio Device" message
    - Used my sound hardware for over a year without problems, suddenly this
    - Tried 3 seperate sound cards/onboard sound
    - NOT a driver problem
    - NOT a windows audio service problem
    - NOT a physical connection problem
    - NOT a speaker problem
    (I added these last ones because if I didnt everyone would suggest them and then ignore the thread)

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

Return it and buy a mac

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah 6 months to a year of uptime on a self-built gaming machine that I play Fallout 3, Oblivion, Crysis... and many other games on with ZERO problems until now... I am sure a mac could do that.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Did you install the HD audio patch?

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You know I don't recall, but I doubt it I don't usually download any patches from MS or anything like that unless I determine I need them... Anyway it doesn't matter I broke down and installed vista ultimate last night, which of course "fixed" it. I'll report back my thoughts on Vista after I have some time to screw with it.