SRS So here are my Options.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Corky, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Corky

Corky I lent Jesus $20

God what a scary word.

Long story short, been tied down my entire life. Went to college, had a serious girl, just got off of a restrictive probation, you guys know the bit. So this whole...free and easy thing kind of has me scared.

I'm not afraid of people, but it seems like people are a little bit afraid of me. I don't know if I come across as angry or confrontational, but I've been this way my whole life. I'm making every effort to continue trying to make real friends, but I seem to always screw something up along the way.

and now, I'm in way over my head. My business I bought is killing me. Now I don't mean to be weird or whatever, but I'm sort of a different type of person. I like to sit and draw and contemplate the end of the world. I'm comming to terms, I guess, with the fact that I'm really not "normal", and might not ever fit into the "normal" mindset.

Now this is a serious problem at the moment. I literally scare my customers. I get nothing but the cold shoulder from everyone who talks to me in a professional setting. I'm learning that maybe I'm not my best first impression. In fact, I'm sure I've said before that I feel better introducing myself with something I can do, like playing guitar or spinning fire around my head, than with my actual person. Maybe I'm just a shitty person.

Anyway, I'm about done with this business thing. I'm only 21, and I can't do this. I don't want to have to worry about I9's and workmans comp claims. I want to make my money and spend it pursuing my life, not the other way around. I'm currently working 70-80 hours a week, and I stress every day about not being able to even pay my bills. At the same time, this business is a huge opportunity, if I could just strap myself down and do it. Which I won't. I get in the store and get so bummed that I just sit on OT, but I can't afford to pay anyone to work the hours. It's been six months, and things are only getting worse.

Now because of the way the contract is written, I'll get to keep all the revenue I made during my tenure as long as the inventory is kept within 10%. If I fail to make the $1000 rent payment on time, the previous owner simply takes the store back with "no further recourse to either party" (which means I'm safe as a motherfucker)

So here are my options, please help me.

1. Find an employee, try to find 2-3 grand monthly in business in a saturated market, and hope it stays afloat until...fucking eternity I guess.

2. Give the Store back, and keep my 6k profits this month.
    a. Use that 6k to pay off my 2k credit bills, continue to live in omaha ne, and let a crazy ex gf move in with me. find a job to keep until august, then go back to school for sound and lighting tech.
    1. Don't let crazy girl move in, and continue paying $700 a month for a 2bd (can't find anyone, I've looked for 3 months)
    b. say fuck my lease, peace out of omaha and live somewhere nice and warm until I go to school

3. The Good One
    a. Use the 6k, put 1500 in an account here in the states, and travel europe until either the money runs out or it hits august and I can go back to college. That is barring me finding somewhere I fit in well and can pursue the things I want to pursue.

I know it's stupid not to pay off my debt, but goddamn I only live once, and it'll be here when I get back (if.). My situation is weird, but has anyone got any advice? :hsd:

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Given the options it seems you've made up your mind.

Why don't you stick it out another month working the store. If you can rake in another $6k (it's Christmas, sales should be good), then you've got enough to take care of the debt, put some cash away for the coming school semester, try and buy your way out of the lease, and still have enough to go to Europe. Scam the ex gf into taking over the lease if you're a malicious type, then take off.

Once in Europe, stay in a hostil and get a job locally. You'll earn pocket change and make friends. When you get bored, hop on the train to another area and start over. It's not an easy life as far as comforts go, but it'd be quite an adventure.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Oh dear, how about settling for the brass instead of chasing the diamonds in your life? Really you are putting too much hay on your fork , and if a load becomes too heavy to bear, what wil happen? You will fall, maby on your face HARD! You know you have good qualities, the enterpreneurship is recommendable. But there are a lot of things you are doing wrong.

You have to set priorities, and its a GOLDEN rule to have everything 100% arranged in your life.

When you have a customer in terms of appearance you have to fully realise that everyone sends out signals, bad or good vibes, you are sending out bad vibes ,a good boss should be 'representative', Nice tie, good shoes, great suit, and a smile on his face. Positive image so to speak. That look that makes a customer think, i want to do bussiness with him.

The first priority will be debt solving. The second is keeping the store open, you see its not so much about the store that is important, its about making your life a succes which is important. Doing nothing = results in nothing.

Its a challenge you can set for yourself , namely turning the shop into a profitable bussiness. Paying your debts off with it, and gain control and supressing overweight over your financial situation. Finish what you start.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

Never, ever aim low. Aim for diamonds, expect dirt.

OMFG D, you must be the most boring person on the face of the planet. Life is alot more fun when there are some unknowns. Then you start a family and control becomes a necessity.

OP, if you want to go play for a few months until school begins then by all means go for it. Once you hit your late twenties the opportunity to do so will dissappear. I think it's very important to set an end date for the vacation to Europe. Floating around indefinitely is not healthy.

It sounds like you're going to be miserable in Europe until you change your attitude. The great thing about going is that you're going to get hundreds of opportunities to polish that first impression, most of them absolutely consequence-free.

5. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Running a business? The only thing that comes to mind for me is a book I read - Rich Dad, Poor Dad - and the follow up Cashflow Quadrant. Now the books themselves are not exactly the best of legal/business advice as much as motivational. However, the one thing that sticks in my head is to "hire someone who is smarter than you to run your business."

I would suspect there are plenty of smarter people out there who would jump at this opportunity. Maybe you could think about how you could get a smart employee in the store who would be commission based (results oriented) and help the store grow? It sounds like you are a thinker, not a do-er. That's fine, you just have to remember that to have a successful business you need three people:

1. A thinker - he who thinks up the ideas.
    2. A do-er - he runs the shop
    3. An auditor - he makes sure everything is profitable, numbers work, and rent is paid.

Sounds like you could use some help.

Now personality-wise, have you considered talking to a professional "coach"? Google up "personal coaching" and you will find lots of places and people who could help. Maybe spend some of your profits meeting with someone who can help you get rid of the "rough around the edges" bit and you can attract more customers?

Personally, I'd kill to have a store and $6k of profit, or at least the opportunity. Sounds like you need to learn how to manage it better, though.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

He's aiming too high, the poor guy is working 80 hours a week, at this rate he'll sacrifice his own health for money.

My aim is stability for this persons life, not to take unneccesary risks while he's already in a tricky situation, if those risks and unknowns go wrong, then he's going down the drain even more. Also im not boring, im actually a fun person to be with.:o