MIL So Going to take my asvab monday for the army

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by speedricer, Jun 18, 2005.

1. speedricer

speedricer Go SpeedRicer Gooooo

Was Going to join the Air Force. But after speaking to all the other recruiters I have decided to join the army. One of the main reasons was that the AF recruiter told me because of having a G.E.D. It would be harder for me to get in, Also said that it would take a long time. Doesn't sound right to me but I was like "ok" :ugh:

Ok so Now it's army. In Highschool I scored a 91 on the asvab.. So I shouldn't have any trouble.

Just havn't decided what to pick for a MOS yet.

2. Accord

Accord New Member

How far are you from Fort Knox?

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

air force numbers surged quite a lot in the recent years. most people look at the air force as easier than the other branches and have less chance of combat. they're in the position now to be a lot pickier of candidates for the sake of budgeting. i'm not surprised they would refuse a person with only a GED.

marine recruiters that i know of in california wouldn't take people with a GED either. nor would the recruiters take anyone with a misdemeanor even if it was sealed prior to you being 18. it sometimes depends on how strict the recruiters are.

the army, especially the navy, however are a lot more lenient. the army being they rely on numbers and are in a shortfall, and the navy being that they figure if you're on a boat 8 out of the 12 months you have less chance of fucking up and getting into trouble.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Good luck with the ASVAB! :bigthumb:

BTW - here is some info on GED and enlistment:

Source: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/join...rms=GED+Marines
    Cliffs: Score high on your ASVAB and/or take 15 college credits worth of classes to overcome the GED bias.

edit: Bonus Info here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=35849201#post35849201
    and some recent changes might have increased the available bonus for certain MOS's. Check with your recruiter for more info.

5. speedricer

Well I scored a 81 Not as good as I thought I would do. But the other 2 people taking with me all scored below a 30. (failed)

I'm about 6 hours away from fort knox. And as far as my MOS I chose to be an MP.
    I'm going monday to MEPs

6. Ranger-AO

Congrats! Are you taking delayed enlistment, or will you be heading straight to basic from MEPS?

7. speedricer

To be honest... I'm not sure. I'd rather go straight to basic

8. RRTX

RRTX New Member

When you go to MEPS do not let them screw you over, when you talk to a career counselor tell them what you want and don't let them BS you into some other job that you don't really want to do. The most important thing is to make sure EVERYTHING is in writing on the contract. If you want to leave for basic ASAP tell them, usually the only thing that causes you to have any wait time is that they have to get you in a BCT cycle that ends just before an AIT cycle for your chosen MOS begins. I had 16 days between my first trip to MEPS and the date I shipped out to basic.

9. speedricer

I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks man

10. Gunnar

Gunnar Getting closer to HELL everyday. OT Supporter

11B1P!!!!!!!!!!

11. speedricer

What's that?

12. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Airborne infantry

13. speedricer

So From speaking to a few people in the army today They all said since I scored pretty good on the asvab I should choose something other than MP.. ONLY thing I don't want to do is go in for something dealing with computers. I'm corp support at a local ISP and I wouldn't care if I never have to use a computer agian.
    I wouldn't mind doing something mechanic.
    Any recommendations? I'd trust you all to recommend stuff before I would the recruiter.

14. RRTX

RRTX New Member

My advice is to pick something that you can use when you get out, or if you want to do something that has more cool factor enlist for a minimum amount of time so if you don't like it you aren't stuck there. The "blow shit up" jobs are mostly in Combat Arms, while it sounds good you have to be aware of the fact that most of the time you will be doing stupid details or other BS that has little or nothing to do with your job.(I'm sure this has change some with the current amount of deployments to Iraq, but I'm giving you my experience) Things like MP, medical jobs, admin jobs, etc. will actually be doing what you signed up for the majority of the time. http://www.goarmy.com/JobCatList.do?fw=careerindex go here, it lists pretty much all the jobs available and gives basic descriptions of them, I know there are others here in pretty much all different categories so we can probably answer at least basic questions on any job out there.

15. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

if you want to challenge yourself like i did, choose what i did, 11X with Option 40 (Airborne Ranger Infantryman Contract)

16. speedricer

Another thing first week of basic. What is the requirements as far as push ups and sit ups I need to be able to do? Without really pushing myself I can do about 20 push ups. And about 50 or so sit ups.
    Running the mile in 8.5 min isn't going to be that bad for me.

17. Ranger-AO

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/apft.htm

I believe you need a minimum score of 60 points in each category to pass the PFT.

In the 17-21 age group that would be:
    53 sit-ups
    42 push-ups
    2-mile run in 15:54

:mamoru: At my age, I only have to do:
    32 sit-ups
    30 push-ups
    2-mile run in 18:42

18. speedricer

42 push ups at one time :eek3: I could probably push myself to do that. But I usually do 20. Stop for about 30 seconds to a min. Then do 20 more. :eek3:

19. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

it's not that hard to work up to. when i first joined i couldn't do more than about 10. I could do 70 in 6 months, and I never really worked that hard on it. What you gotta do is just keep going, and when you think you've done all the pushups you can do, only rest in the "up" push-up position, and then say to yourself, "do 5 more" then count down from that, do it again, then 2 sets of 3. not counting those last 16, I don't actually count how many push-ups i ever do, and i thought th procter was yanking my chain when he said i did 70.

20. speedricer

So when you went to basic you could only do 10 push ups? I do about 60 a day 3 sets of 20.
    Sit ups I can do them all day long.. Not sure why they just don't bother me. The running of 2 miles kinda scares me. I doubt I can run 2 miles without slowing down to a slow jog/walk in the middle somewhere. I've been running every night. Guess I need to step it up ALOT more. :noes:

21. Accord

Accord New Member

Go to the gym and go on the eliptical machine for 1 hour 5 days a week and go as hard/fast as you can for that 1 hour. Guaranteed after doing this for only a few weeks you'll EASILY be able to run 2 miles with no problem. Once you're easily able to run 2 miles without stopping, then you can work on getting your times down.

22. speedricer

what is an eliptical machine?

23. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Those are the standards for once you get to your regular unit, unless they changed something the standards in basic are lower. It's been about eight years since I did basic so there is no telling what has changed.

24. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i could only do 10 at a time in basic. It doesn't matter how many you can do in a day, it matters how many you can do in a row <2mins.
    Also, I couldn't run more than .5 miles without slowing to a walk pace, first clocked 1.5 mi time was 15 mins. I ran it in 12 within 2 months.

25. speedricer

Oh I thought they had requirements for basic. shit I can run. Just not extremely fast or for a long time. So i'll be ok ya think?
    I'm a little on the heavy side (i met the requirements as far as body fat goes yesturday) but i'm really strong. Just need to work on stamina