So glad I didn't buy an iMac for my work computer...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Laserbeak, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

[​IMG]

:Ownedd:

Just got the OK to buy another 4GB though. :coold:

2. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

3. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

4. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

thanks for sharing :bigok:

5. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Some things are best left to a SET of computers wired together.

6. Laserbeak

Ah, the delusional fantasy of workplaces with :unlimitedcapital:. :mamoru:

7. Laserbeak

Welcome. :bigthumb:

8. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

If you can't pay to play in the game ya shouldn't be standing there trying. :big grin:

A thrifty company will still buy them and cut elsewhere because they have to, just that simple. A broke company will squeeze every last inch out of what they have.

9. Laserbeak

We pump all our money into pet projects and skimp everywhere else.

We don't need to try, we're :Government:. :mamoru: :fawk:

10. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Stinky cheese

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

so you're using like 1/2 your ram and you want to upgrade to more?

12. Laserbeak

Where did you get that number?

If you start running low on free memory, your performance really starts going downhill. It got as low as 192MB available after that screencap was taken.

When it takes XP in VMWare Fusion 5 minutes to boot with 4 Windows Server 2003 VMs (using 1.5GB of memory allocated per OS and 2 GB for XP), Safari, MS Remote Desktop Connection, iTunes, and Office 2008 running simultaneously, you're going to run out of memory sooner or later.

13. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

cause you're only looking at the "free" ram and thinking that's all you got that's free. you're reading it wrong. OSX memory usage and allocation isn't like windows. currently on my ibook i have a gig of ram, i have 80 megs "free" and i only have camino open.

only ram you're really using for the most part is the "active".
    Wired ram is just stuff that can't be cached to disk, so it's constantly changing depending on what you're doing, the inactive ram is just that, memory that isn't being used, but hasn't been flushed yet, and well free ram is free ram.

so looking at your graph, you're using about 4-5 gigs out of 9.

14. Laserbeak

You are correct on the Wired memory; Wired is claimed by OS X so that it can run the OS itself and perform background tasks; it can't be sent to the swapfile.

Active memory is just that; memory currently in use by a running application. The more apps you quit, the more active memory will move to either Inactive memory or Free memory, with Free memory being up for grabs by anything. New apps will take from Free memory before eating into Inactive.

However, Inactive memory is the OS anticipating that whatever program or file previously used that memory will likely be used again, or is still currently loaded into memory and is just idling (i.e. hiding Word into the Dock and not using it for 20 minutes). Windows XP doesn't have this feature per se, but has a similar conceptual feature in the form of Boot and Application prefetching. In OS X's instance, a VM or program that has not been used in X number of minutes moves out of Active memory and into Inactive memory; it doesn't always imply that it's glorified memory left over after a program quits. If all that inactive memory suddenly becomes fully active, and available free and inactive memory are insufficient to house the new programs and processes, in come the pagefile swaps, and the inevitable loss of performance due to the bandwidth differences of the SATA-II bus versus the memory bus. Transfer an ISO across two RAM disks, and that same ISO across two hard disks, and you'll see what I mean.

The only quick and dirty way I know of that you can reclaim inactive memory is to either reboot or buy iFreeMem. Depending on how much of your apps are requiring that inactive memory, it may not be wise to run iFreeMem with them running. My actual memory that's in current use at the time of that capture is 6.33GB / 9.00GB, with 2.33GB set aside as Inactive since 3 VMs were idling.

15. ady

ady New Member

Forget about how much memory is used, wired or active. It's page outs you need to be looking at, or more specifically the ratio to page ins. A ratio of 10-1 page ins-page outs tends to be deemed as acceptable. Now I'm not an expert, but I read it as you sent 124KB to the hard drive, probably when you had a spike, or through some other software quirk. Nothing there tells me you need more memory in the slightest. I'm assuming you have been working on the system sometime to generate those stats though.

Then again it isn't your money and more memory isn't going to hurt.

16. Laserbeak

Yeah, I'm no expert on memory either, this is all my understanding after reading up on memory usage in OS X. I do need to have hardware potent enough to double as a multi-purpose R&D computer as well as my primary multi-purpose non-R&D workstation, all with a competitive price point considering the alternatives. I can run 4 VMs @ 1.5GB memory usage each simultaneously with no problem, it's the 5th one that starts becoming a pain on performance.

$198.00 for a 2x2GB kit is a pretty decent price to pay for Apple-certified Mac Pro RAM IMO.

17. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You can kill that much memory with Safari alone running. Memory leak FTL.

18. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

fail - you don't need anymore RAM :rofl:

19. Laserbeak

Glad to see someone else knows what I'm getting at. Safari in Leopard is a PIG.

Which lends additional credence for me to conclude that Leopard in itself a massive resource hog IMHO; no other version of OS X from 10.1 on up was ever THIS resource-intensive. Way to pump your money into a bunch of trinkets and gadgets the masses can enjoy and not working to make it leaner and meaner like you did with 10.2-10.4, Apple; I guess that's the price of success. :down:

One of my co-workers' upgraded PMG4 moved to Leopard last weekend, and he concluded that it isn't worth it to run Leopard on anything less than a G5, unless all you do is e-mail and Web. :hsugh:

I don't know about any of the other Mac OS vets in the room, but the fact that Leopard took away a bunch of tweaking, customization and ability to rip out unnecessary features and drivers from starting up (i.e. trimming the fat and having the OS start using 52MB of memory and a < 4GB installation) is really sorely missed.

Maybe when we see more Intel-exclusive apps come out, we can see this happen again. :sad2:

IBGoToLinux. Flame Suit On.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  20. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

21. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: just close safari, you'll get half your ram back :p

22. Suazo

Suazo New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

ok

23. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

all this talk of memory is making my head hurt.