LGBT So Gays and Lesbians Have an Unspoken Feud, eh?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Dec 26, 2004.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Am I right or am I right? From my cursory reading of the closet, I've gotten the impression that there may be some latent tension between gays and lesbians? Any truth to this? If so, why?

2. BalkanBabe

BalkanBabe Guest

i don't see any problem between us.. we just like different kind of sex (not gender.. real sex).

3. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

Some theories have been created to try and explain this "feud", but I think it just exists in theory, not really in practice.

4. Taylor

Taylor Guest

:rofl:

5. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I'm going to get into my queer theorist mode for a minute to help explain this... bear with me.

World War II served as a critical divide in the social history of homosexuality. Large numbers queer youth left families, small towns, and closely knit ethnic neighborhoods to enter a sex-segregated military or to migrate to larger cities for wartime employment… After the war, many of them made choices designed to support their gay identities. Uniting with those who choose not to enlist, they sustained a vibrant gay subculture that revolved around bars and friendship networks. Many cities saw their first gay bars during the late 1940s.

This new visibility provoked latent cultural prejudices. Firings from government jobs and purges from the military intensified in the 1950s. President Dwight D. Eisenhower issued an executive order in 1953 barring gay men and lesbians from all federal jobs. Many state and local governments and private corporations followed suit. The FBI began a surveillance program against homosexuals.

The lead taken by the federal government encouraged local police forces to harass gay citizens. Vice officers regularly raided gay bars, sometimes arresting dozens of men and women on a single night. Under these conditions, some gays and lesbians began to organize. Although some of these groups eventually became political organizations, initially it was all about protecting their bars. Meaning gay males grouped for their vested interests and lesbians grouped for theirs. In November of 1950 in Los Angeles, a small group of men led by Harry Hay and Chuck Rowland met to form what would become the Mattachine Society, the first publicly political gay group. It wasn’t till 1955 that a lesbian group, the Daughters of Bilitis (founded by Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon), merged with it. The Mattachine Society established chapters in several cities and published magazines that were a beacon of hope to the readers, and inspired other groups to form.

And then came Stonewall.

On the evening of Friday, June 27, 1969, the police in New York City raided a Greenwich Village gay bar, the Stonewall Inn. [Remember that we are now in the middle of Black Panther days of the Civil Rights Movement…] Contrary to expectations, the gay patrons fought back, provoking three nights of rioting in the area accompanied by the appearance of “gay power” slogans on the buildings. Stylish high heels where wielded as weapons, and offending officers where held in chokeholds with boas. Almost overnight, a massive grassroots gay liberations movement was born. Owing much to the radical protest of blacks, women, and college students in the 1960s, gays challenged all forms of hostility and punishment meted out by society. Choosing to “come out of the closet” in one full public night, they ushered in a social change movement that has grown substantially.

Initially, the groups formed were mixed sex, seeking to aid both gays and lesbians in a unified fight. But these groups quickly fell apart, citing differing objectives. Seemingly, the gay male had his interest while the lesbian had her own. By 1973, there were almost eight hundred different gay and lesbian organizations in the United States; by 1990, the number was several thousand. We learned quickly that we could unit for unified causes, and therefore sustain both independent missions and amalgamated goals. [Examples: in 1970, 5,000 gay men and lesbians marched in New York City to commemorate the first anniversary of the Stonewall Riots; in October 1987, over 600,000 marched in Washington, to demand equality.]

I said all of that to show that this family feud, held in theory and not in practice as Ferron so worded, is actually all stemming with differing club scenes, and then differing political organizations. Although I really don’t understand what exactly we want that’s different, there allegedly is something… And that has spawned this separation of agendas.

Frankly, it all boils down to cock for me. I can’t seem to trust/respect anything that doesn’t appreciated cock. Str8t guys appreciate their own cocks. Str8t women appreciate their man’s cock. Gay men appreciate everyone’s cock. Lesbians appreciate their hands. I’m sorry, but that’s just strange :o . But I have to admit, I’ve become more lesbian friendly as late… (I rationalize it as lesbians’ appreciating of plastic vibrating cock ;) )

6. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Could it also boil down to cock for lesbians as well? They don't trust/respect anything that has one, no matter where he chooses to put it?

P.S., your red font does not mesh well with teh darkness. :mad:

7. BalkanBabe

BalkanBabe Guest

why bother with plastic when you can have the real thing?? .. oh wait... i do that sometimes.. :mamoru:

8. CoCo

;) ...it could. :fawk:

Yea, I get that a lot in the main forum. But I like my font tags waaay too much to change them, pum'kin.:wavey:

9. CoCo

Exactly, and (depending on the batteries) it takes a lickin and keeps on stickin...:bigthumb:

10. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I wasn't aware of this. eep

11. CoCo

...you don't strike me as being emerged in 'gay', so you would probably be unaware of the silent daggers that get thrown between the groups at mixers... My last big queer party, that fags stayed in the living room snuggles up on 3 couches, the lipstick lesbians stayed in the dining room munching on lettuce rolls, while the bull dykes (and some hags) stayed outside smoking and tending to the grill...

:ugh: I was a lil amazed.

12. Notorious R.I.E.

Notorious R.I.E. Queen Bee

in my opinion I think "The Feud" is just another stereotype that's blown out of proportion. i mean i've never personally been witness to it. I feel more comfortable with gay men actually. My best friend is a gay guy. and it's a perfect friendship, and as an added bonus neither of us has to worry about the other falling in love and i don't have to worry about him checking out my g/f or anything. I know there are some man hating lesbians out there just like there are some gay men who think lesbians or all women for that matter are inferior, but i think that is more the exception than the rule.
    my take on it is We have enough people out there hating us and discriminating on us WHY then should we do it among ourselves... you know? :)

13. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

Im with red.....eep.

14. CoCo

I have good relationships with lesbians now. I just had to meet the right people. But they don't all get along with my gay male friends. Except when something needs doing... We have no problem getting together to go fight for a cause or anything like that. It's kinda strange. They may have a lil in-fighting, but when an outsider threatens an individual or the community, everyone has no problem convening the Queer Mafia...:mamoru:

15. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I think it has something to do with the fact that some lesbians also happen to have anger issues to men.

And those issues even translate to gay men.

And we gay men have no interest in going near angry women... unless these women happen to be our mothers.

Having said that, as I get older, I'm finding that both the men and women seem to mellow out a tad, and we can find middle ground to make great relationships.

16. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

many of the posts have summarized the "feud" well. From my knowledge, a lot of lesbians felt that in the gay movement, they were still being seen as the weaker counterpart. They felt this denigration from not only the gay movement, but also the feminist movement.

Many argue that a major turning point arose during the AIDS epidemic. A lot speculate that this was the point that many gays began to realize the love and support lesbians provided their gay male counterparts. Some even say that if it wasn't for the lesbians, gay men wouldnt have survived the 80s.

I can't say anything through personal experience but many individuals older than me have stated things as such.

Having a feud between gays and lesbians is just a waste of time. We're fighting for the same cause and the "feud" will do nothing but weaken our stance against discrimination. Nothing can be accomplished successfully with internal conflict.

17. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

They don't have a feud, they just hate bisexuals and transgenders instead. (Kidding!) :big grin:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  18. coma

coma New Member

The fued isn't between gay-lez from what I observe but within species. I mean, gay guys are bitchy and uppity between themselves. Lesbians I don't know what they do between themselves (uhh...except for the sex part:hsugh: ) but really I see no grand battle of the (gay) sexes.

19. Sam Gamgee

:werd:

As Queen Latifah said so poetically

U. N. I. T. Y.

20. Robert

Robert New Member

I have heard of this feud myself even though I admit to be perplexed by it, from what I have gleaned off others, it seems that some gay men feel that lesbianism doesn't really exist (yes I am shocked at that) and it is that is it in the nature of a women to be bisexual.

Alot of lesbians dislike gays because of there hogging off what little attention the GLBT community gets, which I do see some point, the male population does tend to dominate in the media, politics etc. Also some of the more radical feminists (ie the ones that believe that a women cannot be a feminist unless they are a lesbian) say that gay men are not a persecuted minority 'cause they can assimilate into society' and such (scarily enough I saw this in some literature during my university days over of all things not allowing a male-to-female transexual be a part of a womens conference).

I don't believe in any of this personally, but you hang around in the circles I do, one tends to hear quiet a bit.

21. CoCo

...that's a whole other Oprah. The Trans community has to deal with the hate from everyone... AND as feminist, albeit male, I hate that MTF Trans people are excluded, considered still 'male'…regardless of genitalia.

22. Sam Gamgee

That's an interesting theory, but one look at Mary Cheney will tell you that there are definitely full-on lesbians in this world... not women going through a phase.