MIL So fuck, dunno what to do here

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pro Street, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

I'm currently set to join the Guard

88 on ASVAB, been through MEPS, haven't signed yet- still need something to go through...

however my MOS of choice is 88k, something that isn't really available much in the Guard, however I know here in Ft. Eustis there's the 7th Trans that has several watercraft but I don't know if the VA ARNG has anything to do with it. As to being a reservist, no.

Point is I'm considering just going AD in the Army instead of Guard, mainly for this MOS. However at the same time I do have a family and even with BAH and other things, I'd like them to come with me whenever I'm stationed, even overseas, although I'm cool with deployments and such.

thoughts?

oh, and going in and switching doesn't seem like a good option to me, last thing I want is to be stalled sending DD 368s up the chain every few months

2. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

also, what's this option 18 deal or whatever it is to be able to choose a duty station?

3. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

you should probably go back the USMC :wavey:

4. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

can't :o

Army looked at my ELS and said ok, MEPS said :rofl: :bigthumb: when I told them (hell it's been 10 years), I just need a final consult which will be simple.

however I talked to the Navy and with 4 dependents they just shrugged and said it's not likely, and even though I would love to go back to PI I highly doubt it.

5. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

:confused:

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

He's ribbing you about your ASVAB score.

There are some 88K's in Iraq. They run river patrols up and down the two main rivers. Not sure how many there are, but they are here.

What is your financial situation like? Are there any unique medical needs for your kids or wife? How about your civilian career? Without this kind of info, it's hard to help you with your decision for active or guard.

As far as guard versus reserves - in my book there is no choice: guard all the way. Better benefits, better training, and less bullshit. Your mileage may vary, but that's what I found in the year I spent in the reserves and the year I've spent in the guard.

7. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

I'm happy with my ASVAB score... I don't need to score a 97...just enough to do what I want to do in the section I want.

I don't have a civilian career right now, even with a degree. Sucks kinda, my current job is great (on the water) but seasonal and about to end until spring. The pay sucks and there's no insurance... the main thing going for it is that I love the kind of work.

I'm not too concerned with deploying, it could happen even if I am in the Guard.

If I do switch over, I hope it doesn't push my hopeful ship date, I was hoping to leave in January- The Guard is pissing me off though, my recruiter is off for a few weeks in training, the unit up there has no idea anything about me, I'm supposed to go to this consult with some other recruiter, and honestly my overall impression of what's been going down here has been sending up red flags.

8. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

woah, he can't qualify for nothing with that 88

I love how you gotta get a 99 on tests and 2399 on the SAT to be acceptable on OT

proceed.

9. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

:werd:

anyway, an update... I'm going in "Active First." Downside is I'm going to be 25B instead of 88K, upside is a nice cushy bonus.

10. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

dont do AD i an AM i want EOD but i couldnt get that bc of my record

11. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

update to this.. I thought long and hard... researched 25B. bitch to get, filling and promotion is probably slow and painful.

Reading I hear to get the MOS you want, so instead I'm just going RA. Even without all that bonus money I'll be better off with the MOS I like (88k).

12. SiegG

SiegG The real-life Dale Gribble

I got a Texas$$ on the SATs and Threve Billion on the ASVAB.

That's why they breathlessly offered me 88m.

13. dura

dura Guest

and the training for the job is extremely not fun.

14. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

fuckin dot.

Its the same way with the air force; most of the reserve guys I've met wished they went guard after they spoke to me for 5 minutes. Ive noticed that the comradery is a lot better too; the training exercises ive been to with the active/reserve guys, we always seem to have tons more fun than they do.