So far I'm not a fan of Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Mar 19, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Today I decided to reinstall Vista from scratch on my new laptop. Everything is fine until I go ahead with Microsoft's wonderful patching. Now the laptop won't even boot. It blue screens on bootup whether I'm booting normal, last known good or even safe mode. Now, to be fair it isn't one of the required patches that is causing the problem. This only happened after I rebooted and decided to install some of the recommended patches that supposedly help compatibility and reliability. What garbage.

Oh, I can't remember ever having a problem with a patch on a brand new system with XP.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

How would you like to be a vendor having to deal with that kind of stuff?
    Every time Microsoft comes up with some newer and improved version of the older newer and improved stuff, the vendors probably start reaching for their favorite anal ointment.

3. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

i just bought a vista laptop and put XP on it too, if i could dual-boot i probably would, just to go on vista every week or so and give it another chance.

i hate how everything, any setting or menu, is longer and more complicated and stuffy

4. Nakier

Nakier Führer of Fun

fucking truth, the control panel on xp was fine till they fuck it up on vista , actually everything is fucked on vista

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

well, i finally got it to calm down and i got SP1 on it along with all of my updated drivers. what a pain in the balls that was.

i'll play with vista for a bit before going back to XP.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

imo, vista is the better windows because it's more secure and looks better.
    i hate it too though because of the current problems.

7. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

am i the only one who has never had serious security problems with XP :dunno:

i use uxtheme.dll to add a vista-style theme to xp, best of both worlds

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

no, and I think you don't get it.

when I said "more secure" I meant by design of the OS. UAC, improved firewall, etc.

get two machines, one xp, one vista. both have no anti-virus or any third-party security software. OS only.
    guess which one is more vulnerable.

I find Vista's UAC annoying, but you cannot dismiss its added value to security.

Also,... google how many security updates did XP had on it's first year compared to Vista's.

9. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

im not saying its not more secure, im just saying i wouldnt upgrade for that reason, never had a serious issue with xp security, and nobody runs it without AV and firewall anyway

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Well me too. I never did get any security issues with XP or previous versions of windows either.

I'm just saying that it's one feature that Vista has which makes it as a "better version of Windows".

Never really care if you want to upgrade or not.

11. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

After SP1 I actually like Vista.

12. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I've been running Vista on my DELL notebook for around a year and I haven't had any problems with it. I just make sure all my drivers are up to date through DELL's website and download EVERY Windows update Microsoft can throw at me. It's really not bad.

13. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

its not that it has bugs etc, for me, its the actual design and core of it, unless the service pack can take away the unnecessary blated, difficult menus then its still going to be vista :sad2:

14. neoamd

neoamd New Member

Same, although I've dumbed down all "pretty" looking shit.

So far on SP1 no issue and before I had issues with explorer crashing every couple day (restarted every night but generally always on).

Vista + everything in classic mode = not bad. Security? I leave that to other things, windows firewall/malware shit can diaf. :o

15. Zappy

Zappy New Member

When I switched from 98-XP I bitched for a LONG time until I found the setting to change to classic. :squint:

16. neoamd

neoamd New Member

DOT.

Classic FTW :wavey:

17. Zappy

Zappy New Member

Ya, I honestly want to upgrade to vista but I am in this position now were I am no techy but I am by far no noob either, so the annoying little crap Microsoft puts in OS's are annoying as fuck until I can find and remove all or get used to them.

18. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I just went through the voice recognition tutorial. I didn't even know that vista Included this feature. I'm using to type. I can see this being very handy when I'm eating. The tutorial took a long time though, but the computers actually learning your voice when you do the tutorial.

19. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i've got a dell laptop also. it was crashing before installing all the updated drivers after installing some of the updates. after rebuilding i installed all the latest drivers and then installed SP1. it has been fine since, just what a pain in the nuts it was.

so far, the only benefit i find in vista is start search. after that, i'm pretty much at a loss for what it provides. i've turned off UAC because it is a horrible implementation. OSX has a similar feature that is so much less intrusive and is probably significantly more affective.

i guess vista may be better for less technical people. it seems like it'll stop people from shooting themselves in the foot all the time by stopping them from doing all the stupid shit that they always do. i just wish that MS would hire some real usability experts.

20. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

All my problems with Vista have in the end been due to the old practices of a bad user...me.

21. Flaxer

Flaxer New Member

I run a stripped version of windows XP with no firewall or anti-virus on my desktop and still no security problems. I have ran this config. for about a year now and I have had no problems at all.

With Vista I hate the new changes, the new look, and how it takes an extra 2 steps to do what you could in just 1 step. Yes they say it is more secure and such and it is... The settings on it make it more secure, but those settings are the settings most of us complain about and disable anyways, so is it really an advantage to upgrade to a more "secure" OS if your going to disable the features that make it "secure" ?

22. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

:ugh2:

23. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

that doesn't mean shit. you can't gauge the level of security if you don't experience any attacks. the way you test it is that you purposely attempt to infect/exploit the system and see how it goes.

I agree that it is annoying, but again,.... you can't dismiss the fact that UAC can prevent a virus infected file from executing and spreading.

24. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

AMEN..

25. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

i made the mistake of trying vista on my work computer.

ended up installing a XP VPC so i could get some work done.

one week of downtime.