MIL So does anyone know of any old f*cks that joined the Army?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mugatu, May 24, 2009.

1. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

And can share some info on what it's like?

I'm 38 and miss being in the military (was in the Canadian Armed Forces when I was younger).

I'm too old to join as an officer and being a middle aged private with 20 year old fucktard LTs telling me what to do isn't all that appealing.

So is anyone here an older guy who joined or know of anyone who is?

Thanks.

2. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

join the national guard.
    i was at meps and there was this 36 year old guy there.

3. Mugatu

:o

Sorry for the dumb question, isn't the National Guard part time like the reserves?

:dunno: Keep in mind, I didn't grow up in this country so I don't know much about the NG.

4. Julius

Julius Guest

yup, we had two old timers in my platoon in basic (06). both came in as E1s.

the first, a 38 yo, ran 12 minute two miles with a big ass belly :rofl:

the other, a 34 yo, broke his hand and didn't mention it for two weeks so he could finish basic with us.

5. Mugatu

Well I know that the physical side of things will be tough, I'm working on that.

What I'm wondering is what army life is like for older people once they get through basic and into their roles.

6. Julius

Julius Guest

you're going to be working with a lot of people in their teens and early 20's. their mindsets are very adolescent, know what I mean?

also, old guys tend to have issues with authority when they aren't in leadership positions. an "i'm older than you, so fuck off" mentality will not get you very far (i'm not saying you have this mentality, but a lot of the older dudes do)

7. Mugatu

Thanks - I already worked with younger people so that I can deal with.

And while I am not a dick in real life, I could see the authority thing being a problem.

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

I and most NCOs I was with treated them differently, as long as they didn't act like 18-20 year old assholes I treated them better. But from time to time they needed to be reminded that Me > Them, even though they might be 10 years older.

9. Mugatu

Sounds fair enough.

10. Mugatu

Thanks.

11. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

The US Army is cutting back on Age waivers big time..

12. Mugatu

So do these older soldiers last or do they pretty much give up and realize that it isn't really the thing for an older guy?

I realize every case must be different and it depends on the person, I'm just not sure if doing this would be a mistake.

13. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

I can confirm this

Not army, but grapevine in armed forces center.

29 is the limit *last I heard*

14. Julius

Julius Guest

some of them do, some of them don't. we have a 40 yo E3 in our company who has been awol two times :hsugh:

i would advise against it. you can easily find something that's more profitable in the civilian sector. if soldiering is something you would still like to commit to, then i would suggest that you look into the ARNG/USAR.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
  15. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

fulltimeguard.com

16. Mugatu

Thanks all.

17. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Pot, meet Kettle.

18. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

:bowdown:

19. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I was 46 when I signed up. My prior service time subtracted from my age put me exactly one month short of the age limit for prior service enlistments.

One week into WTC (abbreviated Army basic training), I was thinking what the fuck have I got myself into. But I did a lot of physical prep work before I shipped, and it was a pretty good experience. It didn't prepare me for leading soldiers as an E-5, but it gave me a good idea of what the Army leadership style was like.

You may get some preferential treatment from the soldiers above you, but I would recommend that you not use your age as a crutch. If a soldier offers to lighten your load because you are a decade or two older than him, politely but firmly refuse. If other soldiers that wear the same rank as you are doing some shit job because it has to get done, your ass needs to be in the shit with the rest of them. If you want respect as an older soldier, don't ever stop earning it.

My suggestion: go for it, whether you're wanting to go active duty or National Guard. The last three years have been some of the best of my entire life. And as anyone here can tell you - I'm an old fart.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  20. Mugatu

:bowdown:

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm still working on getting back into shape - by the end of the year I should be in the best shape of my life (if all goes as planned) which means I'll be in better shape then when I was in the Canuckistan army before so the physical thing should not be an issue (hopefully).

I'll keep thinking about it until then and do some research.

Thanks for showing me that it can be done though :bowdown:

21. Texasboy

Texasboy OT Supporter

Yeah I went to basic with 5 guys in the 40s why in the world they chose infantry I'll never know but they were all chill as fuck and taught us youngins a few things

22. Mugatu

I was in the infantry and that's what I'd like to do again - whether I can remains to be seen.

23. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

I'm 34 and just came back into the Army. Currently sitting here on Sand Hill waiting to graduate on friday. I had an eight year break in service and had to come back as an E4. I was in commo and actually had to fight to get 11B and Airborne school and am VERY happy with my decision so far. AO pretty much said what I would say about being a lower enlisted at an older age. In the end if you are doing what you love it won't be a problem.

24. Off

Off Memento Mori

:hay:

make sure you check to see if prior service in a foreign nation is a problem, as it might slow down any request for security clearance and such, though can -> us shouldn't be too big a deal.

We had 2 x 47 year old women on my basic. It was a bit of a different situation though. One was the widow of the first Regimental Sergeant-Major to be KIA since WW2, from the same regiment as a lot of staff on the course and the other was the wife of a MWO Master Sniper and former RSM of the Advanced Warfare Centre, thats probably changed since you were in, but the AWC is trenton, where they do the para course, some sniper course I believe, Pathfinder patrolman and advanced reconaissance patrolman courses. Neither of them ever quit though, lots of respect for those fine ladies.

As for the infantry, you know how it is, we had one 40 year old try it with us and he blew his knee out. One 34 year old, long time athlete who was drafted by the pirates in the 90s wasn't even allowed on course, we did have a 34 year old grad with us though. Just like everyone is saying, dont ever take advantage of your age, do what everyone else is doing.

25. Sh4dow5

Sh4dow5 New Member

I just met a 38 year old Army E-2 the other day.....her 20 year old son out ranked her haha.