so do i really need a new...(or am i getting bullshitted?)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by x deaD piXeL, Jul 29, 2009.

1. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

well here's the deal. my dumbass ran over a median in my 350z.

and ever since, things seem a little "off" (sometimes I feel a little "offness" when shifting..sorry i don't know how to explain. i havn't drove stick very long :p but an example sometimes it will feel like there is a something blocking the shifter to move one way, but if i just move it back and try again, the wall will be gone..but it doesn't happen often)

mechanic took a look, said I bent the "stabalizer bar" which was a bar under the car between the two front tires. it doesn't look too much bent though.

he also said the transmission mount needs to be replaced. (He wiggled the tires while the car was jacked up, and told me that because i heard a noise when he wiggled them, that i need a new tranny mount)

Guys been doing it for a long time now, and rebuilt a tranny in another 350z. he's my co-workers uncle. sounds pretty trustworthy, but I need OT's help on this one. Is he right?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. Fetish

Fetish OT Supporter

You ran over a median which could effect your suspension but the problem you're describing sounds like a transmission issue. It's hard to say with such little information. You very well could have bent something when you hit the median, but it sounds like your synchronizers are having some issues based on your description about shifting the car. Does it happen in any particular gear or is it all over the box?

3. vgeek

vgeek New Member

I've had similar symptoms before in a Tacoma, and it turns out it was the shifter bushing. The old one had broken and chips were preventing it from getting into 2nd and 4th on the first try. It would also pop out of 4th gear from time to time. The bushing was only $10 and took around an hour to install.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you ran over a curb at anything besides a creep, you'll probably need to get everything on that corner of the suspension replaced. That's a bigger hit than anything a sports car is designed to handle.

As for the transmission mount, that's probably what's throwing off your shifting. The transmission is moving around too much and the gates aren't always where your brain expects them to be when you try to shift.

EDIT: Passats also have issues with the shifter bushing. If the transmission mount appears to have been damaged, not just worn, then it's pretty likely the shift linkage took a good whack too, from the big heavy parts moving around suddenly.

5. x deaD piXeL

Hmm ill have to have that checked out. If the stabalizer bar is very slightly bent, is it necessary right now? He says that's most important because it will wear my tires out. And by shaking the tires, and hearing something loose under the car does that really mean the tranny mount needs replaced? I'm just cautious because I've never had work done before and don't have the best budget right now. I appreciate all the help thanks all! And sorry bout the wrong forum I was in a hurry

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If it's possible to get adjustable-length swaybar links, then a slightly-bent swaybar could be compensated for by lifting the car on its wheels and adjusting the lengths of the swaybar links to get it to sit level. I had to do something similar with the rear swaybar kit I installed on my Passat, because it was impossible to bolt the swaybar mounts onto the frame perfectly level like they would've been if they'd been welded on at the factory.

If the wheels are actually moving when shaken, then you've damaged suspension components, just like I said would happen. I don't know why the transmission would also be affected, since it isn't connected to the front wheels, but if you're having trouble shifting then something in the shift linkage or the transmission mounts is loose or damaged.

Unfortunately a sports car is not the best choice for a daily driver if your budget is under stress. They will always break parts faster than a Camry will, because the parts are under more stress, even when you're not hitting curbs with it.

7. x deaD piXeL

Thanks guys!

I just got this car early march and I only owe 12 as of now :) 06 with now 43k miles. So I'm willing to spend sometimes to fix. I have the best budget plan ever :)