so both my computers died this week (lil help?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Nov 30, 2004.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

one from another person

one from unexplained causes.

a few months ago, i had my 2nd HD get some 'cyclic redundancy check' errors, then it started making some strange sounds...then eventually became unreadable (windows started "converting folder to file") so i took it out.

Last night, my primary HD started getting cyclic redundancy check errors, making sounds....and upon reboot got the same "consistency" problems.

I was able to recover my data from the primary HD...but now i have to figure out whether to (a) get a new computer or (b) just get a new hard drive and install XP. do you think this drive failure is a product of something wrong with the other hardware in the machine?

the machine is about 7 years old (upgraded in spots), and the same shit happened to both hard drives, despite constantly updated virus def's, no spyware, and fresh installs of XP.

wtf. should i just get a new drive or wait till after christmas and loot Dell?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Hard drives don't last forever. Just pick up another drive or 2 and be done with it. It will be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole machine, but you should find some pretty nice deals with the holliday's around.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

comp usa was selling 60gb drives new for $20 a while back I think.