LGBT so as not to hijack Pen's thread, question about condoms

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by camarosrool, Aug 12, 2008.

1. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

specifically about mustafa's post

I was just hoping for some clarification.
    If you are with a guy for say 5+ years would you still use a condom?
    always use protection no matter how long you are with someone?
    I am looking for information online, but I am really not finding anything like you are saying, where did you find out this information?

here are some random articles that I am stumbling across
    http://health.ninemsn.com.au/asktheexperts/gabriellemorrissey.aspx?id=3294

2. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

http://menshealth.about.com/cs/gayhealth/a/barebacking.htm

every article seems to be focusing on std's and not the other things you mentioned.
    http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/unprotected_anal_sex_pregnancy_risks_and_self_abortion

3. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

try looking up "anal sex" and "UTI" (urinary tract infection)

4. Lawl, oh well I wear them from now on I just bought whatever "thin" verion they have. I got Trojan's. :dunno:

5. dude101

dude101 New Member

pmed you my opinion on this matter

6. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

searching that now

http://www.allaboututi.com/resources/faq.asp#understanding_2

I clicked the link to learn more, but the word anal isnt even on that page

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990301ap/1225.html

this link shows a study on men that already have a UTI and the causes as to why they may have got it

http://www.doctorslounge.com/urology/forums/backup/topic-3363.html

this link has someone asking if it could be a cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary_tract_infection

Men engaging in anal sex should wear condoms to protect themselves from bacteria found in the bowels. Similarly, women engaging in anal sex should ensure that their partner does not penetrate their vagina after removal from the anus without cleaning themselves first with soap and water.

this is the only thing it says in this one

thats all the links i am going to dig through for now

but honestly it really seems like a non issue

the std thing is far scarier, but if you are with someone clean that you trust I dont see the problem

just clean up after jump in the shower or w/e

if you have some research that you have found I would like to read it

but from what I see there is a chance of getting a UTI is about the worst thing I can see

7. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

:)

8. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

UTI's arent that big of a deal. The only reason i brought it up was because every UTI i saw in a guy when i worked in ER's was pretty much always from unprotected insertive anal sex, and as guys arent used to UTI's they mistake the lower back pain for other things and the infection usually progress much farther where it can cause serious kidney damage. The male urethra is pretty long (as compared to a female, its like 5x as long), so the risk of bacteria snaking up there and making it to the bladder is much lower, so rates of UTI's in the general male population is low. UTI's are easy to treat, I was just trying to make people aware that it was a possible result of unprotected sex. The "clearing the urethra" by pissing afterwards helps a lot.

I made the point because Pen is just starting to spread his wings, and real information about STDs is important. Aside from the possibility of UTI's, unprotected sex can put you at risk of:

HIV. It might be dormant/undetectable for 6 months to a year, so if you just met someone who "just got tested" and thinks their "clean," that may not be the case.

Anal cancer. HPV (the same virus that causes genital warts and cervical cancer) causes anal cancers. Men who carry HPV often are asymptomatic and testing has a high false negative rate (people who have the virus test negative). Because gay men have a lot of anal sex, they are at much higher risk of anal cancer. Many doctors are now recommending routine anal pap smears for older gay men with complicated sexual history, and even the Gardacil vaccine (HPV vaccine for women) for younger guys before they become sexually active. (most doctors will vaccinate guys with gardacil, but you have to pay out of pocket $350 or so for the 3 shots a few months apart)

Genital Herpes. Like HPV, many men have a really small initial outbreak (that can even be in the urethra and never seen), and are asymptomatic afterwards. Again, high false negative rates. Condoms make herpes transmission much less likely, but people should know that you can still get it while wearing a condom.

Hepatitis A, B, and C can all be transmitted by unprotected anal (and sometimes oral, for that matter) sex. Its easier to diagnose and causes a lot of symptoms, so more people know their status vs. HPV or herpes. Hep A and B can be vaccinated against (everyone should be vaccinated) and treated, but neither vaccines or treatment are available for hep C, and you'll eventually need a new liver.

These are some of the viral, incurable STD's. Bacterial stuff usually causes rapid symptoms (discharge, etc) and are much easier to diagnose and treat with simple antibiotics.

All i'm trying to say is that there are always risks. If you've been with someone for a long time, have a trusting relationship where you arent worried about cheating, and are reasonably sure that everything is legit, use your best judgement. The whole point was to make Pen (or anyone else, for that matter) aware of the various risks so he can weigh them and make his own decisions. It wasnt meant to be criticism of people who bareback; I could care less what you do in the bedroom (unless I happen to be there :naughty:). The point of the post was merely educational. :)

9. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

god damn that was a novel

10. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

:rofl::rofl: well thanks for writing it

I wont quote it all, but I did read it

thanks for the input, I was just not aware of other side effects besides stds
    currently for me STD's are a non issue, so I was curious as to what other things could happen

I didnt take it as criticism btw, I was looking for more information is all and didnt want to clutter pens thread up

thanks for posting

11. Thank you for the novel. :)

12. Oh and I KNOW I am clean unless some demon raped me in my sleep. I have slept with two girls, one a couple times and one a lot and both of them were virgins when we first started dating, so basically I know I'm clean. He says he has only slept with one girl who he dated for like 2-3 years. :eek: Pretty long relationship...and for a large portion of it they weren't even sexually active. But for future reference, yes...I do plan on using a condom even if just for cleanliness.

13. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

Yeah, I know im going to get yelled at, but after about year 3 James and I stopped w/condoms. I got an odd infection at one point where its a natural bacteria that grows in the ass and it crawled up my dick and caused one of my boys to become the size of a softball. When I went to my doctor about it, she said the only way to prevent it is use a condom. She also advised urinating afterwards (as mentioned above) that helps get rid of it 90% of the time (if you didnt use a condom.). Other than that, if we play with a 3rd we always use protection......

14. Thanks for talking me into using them...I can hardly tell I'm wearing one when I wear the ones I bought...plus I don't nut so quick. :hsugh: Too much hotness in one bed and I splooge too quick! Lol.

[​IMG]

ftw.

Running out though.... XD