So as long as Im eating below my maintanence calories I wont put on muscle right?....

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MoP, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoP

MoP New Member

I workout 3-4 times a week but its always upper body.... i wanna start working out my legs again ( for testosterone boosting and fat burning reasons ) but they are already way too big for my tastes and i dont want them to get any bigger.

I guess my fundemental question is this... When you workout thus ripping your muscle fibres yet are eating below maintanece calories... how does your body repair this muscle fibre when it is at a calorie deficit?

2. MoP

MoP New Member

thanks for the advice nub :ugh:

3. MoP

MoP New Member

thats pretty much what i thought....

SO when the muscle fibres are ripped.... they are repaired at the same size as before they were ripped?

4. MoP

MoP New Member

I'm not to worried about trying to lose mass in my legs...that is bound to happen naturally.... i just dont want them to get any bigger :rofl:

5. MoP

MoP New Member

at first i interpreted him wrong to... but what he means is that while eating below maintanence your legs wont get bigger unless you are on test.

6. MoP

MoP New Member

ya... well I'm pretty satisfied with my muscle/strength...

just worrying about losing fat so i can see that muscle :p

7. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

you might if you were previously untrained or a genetic freak

8. MoP

MoP New Member

no... i use to hit my legs hard... thats why they are too large for my liking.. they grew so fucking quick... before i knew it i had a fucking ghetto booty sitting on top of a couple of tree trunks :wtc:

9. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

same exact position im in:sadwavey:

10. MoP

MoP New Member

:hug:

11. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/content/page-39.html

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Generally when working below maintenance (especially if you are natural) you are going to see a loss in strength/muscle mass. It is simply an issue of feeding your muscles. Like anything that is living, muscles need nutrients and need to feed in order to sustain a healthy environment and continue to grow. How much you actually lose is more so based on what you eat while under maintenance, and how often you are in the gym hitting the weights.

A good way to kind of "cheat the system" is with supplements. Some good creatine and protein supplementing will allow your muscles to feed rather efficently while still keeping that low calorie diet. While these will not entirely make up for the recent lack of food your muscles are experiencing, it will certainly help out significantly.

As for your body repairing muscle fiber while below maintenance, YES it will. Your body will always repair itself regardless of whether you are above or below maintenance. However, when your muscle fibers are torn (from working out) that is when they feed the best, hence that is the best time to have a good amount of nutrients running through your body. You body and muscles will still repair, but they just wont be fed as efficiently as they would have liked prior and during repair.

I would go ahead and go with whatever you have planned to lose fat. If you start to notice that your muscle size and stength is depleting then go ahead and try to regulate your meals around your workout. Meals with carbs and sugars prior to workouts for energy, and lean meats and protein meals after workouts to make sure your muscles are still being decently fed during repair. Also, you can always get some whey protien and pound a shake after your workout. Very low in calories, and very high in protein. Your muscles will thank you :)

13. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Just curious, how big around are your quads and what are you squatting?

I wanna know what people consider "tree trunks." I have a bitch of a time buying pants/jeans too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.