SRS So am I pretty much fucked at work now?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, Dec 5, 2006.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

A month ago i went back to a job I was once at (about 6 months ago), they invited me back. Well, this place has always been known for weak management as everyone would always slack off (surf the net, email, late everyday - like an hour late everyday! long lunches, etc). Nothing would ever be done about it. I.T. would always say they are monitoring internet access, but everyone knew it was just a scheme to scare everyone. I will admit, the first time I was there I was a slacker, I spent most if not all of my time online, however im not proud of it. :hs: Because I know if I was in the management side, and I see people slacking off non stop everyday, I would be pissed too.

So anyhow, yesterday I get to work, and instead of getting right to work I was surfing. So 30mins later into my shift, my boss (the highest up one), walks up to my desk, pulls me to her office and fuckin absolutely unloads on me. I was fuckin scared, I thought I was gone right then and there, I was shaking my boots! So now, if I ever get caught online again (taking it that its not on my lunch of breaks), my contract is done! Obviously, now they have installed a monitoring system at work (which I was NOT expecting, otherwise I would have never even considered going online) :uh:and they can see everyones move - if they are online or not, and what sites they are on, how long theyve been on and so on.

So now obviously, Im not taking any chances and I really have to smarten up. You see, Ive been fired from a lot of jobs in the past simply because I failed to do my job. Im not proud to admit, that Im a slacker. So, as I was thinking about what happened maybe this experience is good for me. It will get me to realize that, you cant work a job by just slacking off! And that if you want to get anywhere in life, you have to work for your money. Like my father would always say "money dont come off trees."

If I decide to go online during my breaks, I email her before hand so she knows. Im sure she told all the other managers, and they are all now watching me like a hawk from the min I get there to the min I leave. Im sure of it. I have obviously lost all their trust in me, and right now none of them like me anymore. The one I got the warning from, I just have a gut feeling, we will never be able to see eye to eye from now on. After what happened, for the rest of the day yesterday, she wouldnt even look at me. Is this even recoverable at all? Can I overcome it to prove to them that I can be trusted in promising that I wont ever slack off? Especially, on the times when there is no supervision.:sad2:

Now, one thing is yesterday I never apologized (I was litterally too scared). I find my boss very intimidating (this one anyhow), I am scared of her. Do you think I should still apologize, maybe too late? I figured words will do no good right now, I have to let me actions do the speaking. But this is not good...:hyper:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

No. Apologies are NOT her concern. She doesn't want you to admit that you did her wrong. Her concern is whether you will work. If there is anything you can say that will make her believe that you will do your work rather than surfing, then say that. An apology is not that.

She doesn't CARE if you're sorry. She cares whether you will improve your behavior. Am I clear here?

3. johan

johan Active Member

I'd stay away from apologizing profusely, with nothing else.

You can, if you want, go in and very professionally acknowledge the issue, and even more importantly, offer a game plan of how things will improve.

When my direct reports come to me with this kind of thing, it goes like this from least welcome to most:

1. a story about how they weren't really doing what they were doing
    2. a story about how everyone else does it, why single them out
    3. an acknowledgement of the issue, promise it "wont happen again"
    4. an acknowledgement, and discussion of how they will improve.

1 and 2 get a :rolleyes: from me. 1 is downright insulting.
    3 isn't really worth my time either

4 is the only one I take seriously, as in, here a fellow who's chosen to engage his brain, and takes this seriously, maybe he's worth cutting some slack

In fact even if he has screwed up, if he demonstrates his worth, then the screwup is nullified, and in fact, I don't even care about it anymore.

It's all about your net worth to the organization.

Keep in mind I work at a professional level; and people are cut "slack" because they are all professionals who deliver more than average. Meaning we don't monitor in/out times, because you are judged on the quality and timeliness of your work. Deliver excellent work, and I don't care when you come and go (within reason).

However, if you're doing shift work, or are junior staff; or work in a particularly unpleasant organization, yo may not have this luxury. (Another excellent reason to go to college and get an advanced degree).
    They may only care about adherence to established procedure. In which case #3 may be all you can do.

Good luck and update.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Sounds like you've been shitlisted at your job. They probably don't care if other people surf the net, but YOU will get crap if YOU do. That happened to me at my old job.

I know I'm not contributing anything to thsi thread, I'm just trying to show you another angle.

5. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Ur angle will get him fired

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Here's the thing, OP. Get off your lazy ass and work! Do your fucking job! That's what's up.

7. JakobwithaK

yes forsure. Thats what i figured too, apologizees wont look professional.

8. JakobwithaK

Well I see where you are comin from. Yes this place used to always let everything slide. 90% (excluding me) of the people would always be half hour to an hour late everyday, because the bosses would start an hour later so they figured they could get away with it. And they did, until management got so fed up and did something about it.

Considering how well everyone gets paid, the bosses were getting in shit, so they adjusted their schedules so that some are here when we start. I remember while back, they used to come early to wander the halls and monitor when people show up.

Every morning people would always come in, drop off their bag and coat then take off across the street for half an hour to get breakfast, come back and eat it...next thing you know an hour into thier shift is already gone. That does NOT happen anymore! Its really wierd because the people who used to slack off so much before, now are actually well behaved.

9. JakobwithaK

I think so too and I dont know why Im so parted out. Like i said, I have a gut feeling I wont be seeing eye to eye with my managers anymore. I know there are a few who can crack jokes with them and are on super good terms with them. Heck, if they got caught online, the bosses wouldnt care.

I think it will get to the point where I go in, do my job and get the fuck out when Im done. Since returning, I would occasionally glance around at other peoples desks to see if they are slacking off or working - and to my surprise they are working! In fact, I rarely see people surfing while at work (outside of their breaks). This definitely wasnt the case the first time here, but obviously they have cracked down on it harsh.

On weekends when I work, since there is no supervision, well....tons of surfing! But for the most part everyone is still working hard. But considering that I already got a first warning and my ONLY one at that - everyone should be fired working weekends because they definitely spent more time online than they would have been allowed. So my question is, why me? Why did she pick on me and only me? Was it just bad timing? She was browsing the monitoring system and just happened to see me online at the time?

My guess is that someone possibly ratted on me. Because, Ive worked several days before yesterday with her there, and spent far amount of time online and yet she didnt bring anything up then? Well obviously, she wasnt monitoring me.

So I dont know why im singled out. :rolleyes: It sucks. I mean I got such a harsh warning - "if I see you online again, even just for one second, your contract is done!" I can bet you any money, if anyone else at work was to go online for one second, and she saw that.....she wouldnt fire their ass. Heck she most likely wouldnt even give them a warning.

It feels like im on probation now and everyone has a big red target on me. :sad2: I dont care anymore about who I get along with and who I dont. When I dont like someone, I dont show it...im not a jerk to them, Im professional about it. I know many people at work who dont like me, and some show it, others dont. I cant let shit like that bother me. So if the bosses now want to put a big red "X" on my forehead every time im there and exclude their communication with me and watch me like a hawk, then I dont care.

Like my dad always told me as a kid, work is work...you are not there to make friends. And guess what? Outside of one guy, I dont have any friends there! You can pretty much call me a loner at work. I have lunch alone, I get breakfast alone, I go to and from work alone - I dont care! For the most part, when I go in...I do my job and when Im done, I get the hell out. So if managers dont want to talk to me or pay attention to me anymore, then so be it. As long as Im there and make my money thats all I care about.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  10. Lokish

Lokish New Member

11. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

You should have said
    "HA! Only Fazle owns my productivity!"

But seriously you have 3 choices here.
    1. Improve.
    2. Quit and improve.
    3. Quit and do the same shit at next job.

If you choose:
    1. The bosses are all aware of your slacking already and you are on the shitlist at least for now. It is up to you whether or not you want to go through all the trouble of redeeming yourself in their eyes. It might take a long time and it could be hard to lose the negative stigma.

2. If you quit you get to look for a job and start with a clean sheet of paper where you start putting in serious work from the start and keep a clean track record. Looking for a new job is hard to do, but the advantage is that you lose the stigma mentioned above, and you have a chance at really building yourself up from a clean beginning.

3. This is the worst choice. The cycle will just continue if you do this.

So the real choice is between 1 and two. Personally I would choose 2. but your financial situation might not allow for it. Good luck. :hsd:

12. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I'd recommend eventually finding another job and not repeating your previous mistakes. If you stay with the current job, you're going to have to work twice as hard to get your standing up to where it would be if you worked hard and ddin't slack off at a new job.

I see a lot of stuff about you saying how you will straighten up and improve...but the actions you say you have done contradict this. You say in the reverse position (if you were a manager), you'd be pissed too, but that doesn't stop you. You say you've been fired from a number of jobs for not working. So why are we or anyone else supposed to think you're going to change for the long term? Your actions say otherwise.

And as for the last parts, of being scared of your bosses and managers, I can tell you exactly why you're afraid.

You simply haven't grown up. You're not acting like a mature adult. You're acting like a little kid who has screwed up, and is really scared of mom finding out and coming down on you. And that is why they have to treat you like a child who has screwed up.

I would advise working on growing up some before you attempt to get another serious full time job.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  13. JakobwithaK

14. JakobwithaK

It will have to be #1 - Im not quitting this job simply because I cant. The money is too good and the hours are perfect. Its such a flexible job, that accomadates to everyones needs.

15. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

So tell us why you DESERVE to have and keep such a "perfect" job when you've been abusing it?

And I'm just curious, how old are you?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  16. Lokish

Lokish New Member

Excellent. If you change your habits, it will be noticed. They might not say anything, but it will be noticed if they are keeping an eye on you.

Keep yourself focused and things will be fine. Course I am told I am a little bit of an optimist.

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My angle? I was just illustrating what happened.

The same thing happened to me at my old job in systems development (which I hated). My manager one day was like "you spend too much time online. No more internet for you at all." I go "what if I surf the net while I eat lunch at my desk?" He goes "no." I go "so if I have to sell a stock or something you're telling me I have to go home, log on, do my thing, and then come back to work?" He goes "yes." I go "what if I'm using a development application that uses the internet. Then can I be online?" I admit, that question was being a smart ass, but my manager was a dumb ass. He said that was ok.

So I layed low for a bit with my internet usage, but then my manager got transferred to a different department so I started surfing the net again. He and I didn't get along anyway.

They basically said I shouldn't be surfing the net since my productivity wasn't where it should be. That was their corporate reason which, on the outside, makes sense. Now, why wasn't my productivity where it should be? Because I was only working 50-60 hour weeks (of unpaid OT) instead of 60-70 like everybody else. Yes, you can only put up with that for so long before you say "fuck this" and quit on two days notice like I did.

At any rate, I was shitlisted, and it sounds like the OP is, too. Of course we can all defend ourselves, as I just did, but the reality doesn't matter; what matters is your manager's and the company's perception.

edit - I just wanted to illustrate another example with my old manager. We had Sametime at work, which is Lotus Notes' version of AIM. One day he Sametimes me and the convo went like this:

Him: "hi"
    Me: "hey"
    Him: "Hey is for horses, not managers.'
    Me: "No, that's hay, with an 'a.'"
    Him: ::all pissed off::

See? wtf is that shit. I understand if he didn't want me to say "hey" as it's informal, but in a written context, his argument was incorrect. Sorry for having good grammar skills. :mamoru:

18. JakobwithaK

25. How I see it is, everyone makes mistakes, its just the matter of them working to overcome it so it doesnt happen again.

19. JakobwithaK

Ya they will be watching me alright. They may refrain from having any sort of communication with me, but it wont affect me. I will go in each day, and just quietly go about my job and get the fuck out when im done. Like I said, im not there to make friends, so if management and I now have a relationship dug into a black hole, then so be it. They can watch me all they want. Because if I dwell on this incident, then it will just make me feel more uncomfortable working there.

THe only thing is, I still wonder why I was the only one picked from the whole bunch.

20. johan

johan Active Member

Nah, this exchange doesn't demonstrate your excellent "grammar".

It clearly shows he feels like he's not being respected enough, and you feed that by refusing to give him that respect.

Granted, he's being a bit of an argumentative ahole...but then, so were you.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My point was it would have worked better if it was spoken.

It also would have worked better had he said "please don't use 'hey' when addressing me because that is too informal."

But I would assume that he probably thought he was making a joke, but I caused it to backfire, and he got pissed off.

22. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

And how many times are you going to make these mistakes?

From your first post:

I will admit, the first time I was there I was a slacker, I spent most if not all of my time online, however im not proud of it.

You see, Ive been fired from a lot of jobs in the past simply because I failed to do my job. Im not proud to admit, that Im a slacker.

Basically, the first time you got fired from a job for not working was a mistake. but from your own words, you say it has happened more than once,

Why did you not learn from all those times?

You're 25. Start acting like it, and take your job seriously.

How many times are you going to have to go through this before it finally sinks in?

Do you not see how your superiors, and even we (look at JJJ's first reply) are responding to you like we would a child?

What does that tell you?

23. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

Seriously... he has it all right.

It wasn't an accident.. you knew you were surfing and not doing your work. That part is obvious.

you weren't singled out since you were surfing the internet.. you were singled out since you weren't doing shit at work.

My company has a very, very strict electronic communication policy. They monitor our surfing and log all actions (part of this is SEC requirements but it's also to make sure that we're not spending all day on it).

Surfing is sort of part of my job. They'd probably fire me before restricting my internet access. Basics like cnn, bbc, yahoo finance are OK.. OT/personal emails are not. News sites are work related since i'm in finance so that's fairly dynamic and research is necessary, but not espn.com...

Apologizing is worthless, actions are going to speak a LOT louder than words.

what is it you actually are supposed to be doing at work?