WEB so almost a year ago (10 months), I offered to make a web site for my Uncle's company

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

they had SOMETHING online.. their IT guy (older guy.. doesn't really know much of anything.. I could have done his job when I was 12) had used frontpage to make about 5 html files that were mostly broken and had no information except for the company name and address

my uncle brought me in to meet the IT guy and tell me what he'd like on the site

I got the IT guy's contact information. he emailed me the FTP info for the site, and sent me the server specs. their host was also their ISP.. and the host specs were awful.. php 4.0, no database support, and only like 25MB of space. I told him he'd need to sign up for hosting at a webhosting company and suggested several. he said that had been the plan for a while, so he would do that and send me the new login info. I offered him help with the webhost if he needed it.. he had my phone number and email.

since the frontpage site was broken in just about anything other than IE6, had dead links, and didn't have anything but the address and phone number on the page, I replaced it with a single white page with the address, contact info, name and logo. The plan was for that to be temporary.. I'd already designed a drupal theme.. just needed somewhere to install it.

a few weeks later, I email and ask for a progress update. IT guy tells me that the company is crazy busy at the moment, and they're gonna put it off until things cool off (I wasn't asking him to do anything but spend 5 minutes signing up for a webhost on the company CC and then email me any documents he had about the company.. but sure..).

few months go by.. it's now december.. I email again and this time offer to host it on my hosting account. no reply. the single white page of address+contact info was still there.. but at least it wasn't the broken frontpage site

I finally got an email in march-april saying that whatever had been keeping them busy had ended, and he would sign up for a host and send me the info. the single white page I made in september was still there. I reply that I'm looking forward to finishing it. haven't heard from him since.

I thought about it earlier and decided to check their site.. he's gone back to the broken frontpage site. the pages are still mostly empty, but he added more information that he used to have (which I guarantee took him more than the 5 minutes it would have taken to sign up for a webhost and email me the login details). layout is table based and some pages are busted, it loads javascript for no reason at all.. it's essentially worthless.

he must have felt really threatened by me, but he shouldn't. I don't want his job, and it wouldn't pay me enough, anyway.

I had offered to do it for free to build my resume.. I can't even give away web sites, apparently.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. White Stormy

I offered to make a site for another uncle's company at the same time.. and told him I'd host for him.. I'd do everything.. I just needed information about the company. 10 months later, he hasn't even sent me the address. All I know is the name hah.

3. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

a lot of these older people in business dont take their online presence seriously enough. i wouldn't worry about it.

4. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

old people suck when it comes to anything web related

my old web teacher was horrible. like freewebs horrible.
    here's one of his badass websites he always bragged about :rofl:

http://www.shadyblues.com/

5. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

for our final project we had to make a website ourself.

I whipped up something REAL BASIC and quick. He gave me a mark of zero until he was done "running his searches" because he had a strong suspicion i stole it :rofl:

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Sounds like fail. Get your uncle involved. :coolugh:

7. White Stormy

my Human-Computer Interaction final was to make a web site about something.. I went really fancy and used some server-side code. He gave me a zero and said the site didn't work on his computer.. I had to tell him that it had to be run on a server, couldn't be run locally :hs: at least he changed the grade to a 100

8. White Stormy

yeah I'm gonna offer to redo his personal website to show how a CMS can make things easier.. then try to explain that the IT dude wouldn't let me help hah

9. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

This story is earily similar to the most of these little side jobs like this I used to pick up. It sucks getting dicked around for 2 weeks waiting on an ftp password. And the fact that their server is an antique is not your responsiblity, seems like the perfect opportunity to sell them hosting on your own vps/reseller acct/etc. Anything that you're not providing yourself, give a firm list of requirements in order for you to accept a deposit and start work.

I don't know if I'd spend a whole lot of time building a resume w/ these projects though. I was involved w/ 2-3 successful projects w/ two different companies over the last 4-5 years which is the majority of my resume. Along with that I had listed around a dozen little wordpress/drupal type side projects I'd done for small companies to fluff it up. I went through interviews for a PHP developer position w/ a major E-Commerce company ($100+ million/year company, ranked top 20 in the Inc 500 fastest growing companies). My last interview w/ the CIO, it was pretty clear he could care less about the dozen open source cms installs I had done. We talked about everything on the whole resume in detail (even IIS and MSSQL stuff), except he didn't even mention the wordpress and drupal "fluff" projects. He was most interested in my home rtorrent/mythTV(DVR)/LAMP development box I decided to add to my resume at the last minute :mamoru:.

Nothing at all against the open source cms packages, they're great, I just feel like they've gotten me nowhere for me career wise.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  10. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

What i've done in order to get jobs is digg deeper into my clients history when adding it to your resume.

Like one recent project i've done for example, was for a brand new business with a new product. Doesn't really sound like much, until you find out that this new product has already had buyers from various fortune 100 companies wanting to sell it.

You are in a way, working for a client who deals directly with multiple fortune 100 companies. You put that on your resume and people will be interested.

11. White Stormy

when I was interviewing last year, the dumbass interviewers would skip over the cell phone game I made, skip over the C# projects, and ask me about the hand-coded xhtml/css/js six page web site I did on a city in India for a school project. everyone was so impressed by something I could have done when I was 12, but they ignored everything that was actually an accomplishment. :uh:

the Indian site was also something I added to my resume at the last minute, though :o

12. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I had to build a site using the dotnetnuke cms, which has a steep learning curve, for this company. I worked my balls off learning how to do everything. After it was all finished, they never used it, never updated it. Last i checked the hosting had expired.

13. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

lol when you click "meet the band" the interface drops to the bottom of the page hahaha... talk about usability. :rofl:

14. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

Sounds like a conflict of interest, he doesn't want you to reveal his shit job.

15. White Stormy

my Human-Computer Interaction (web DESIGN) prof was AWESOME. His main site is simple, but his example sites were pretty awesome, and he's really well-respected at SIGGRAPH

http://ironduke.cs.gsu.edu/~gsowen/

16. M3Driver

M3Driver New Member

Been there dealt with that, there's a couple of IT "professionals" in search of a job.

17. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

get paid hourly to learn how to use it and then get more clients :)