GUN So after viewing the .50 KB thread I got to thinking about comp shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Apr 2, 2009.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Does it ever cross yalls minds when you get a ftf during a comp that, hey this thing might go off after my tap and rack drill and AD someone?

The thought never crossed my mind before until viewing that thread.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

the greater risk is the bullet going off out of battery, if you have a late fire due to a bad primer, it is better to wait it out, but if you eject it - while there is some danger, i'd be more concerned about it going off while you are expelling the cartridge. once it is on the ground it can still explode, but the bullet really won't be going anywhere. you might get a cut from the brass exploding, but thats it AFAIK

i mean, you don't want it to happen, but i don't think it would be life threatening if it did :o

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If bad stuff like that goes down, you just deal with it. I go into my malfuntion clearance routine subconciously if anything doesn't go right. It is raw muscle memory at this point. That is what you want.

I have heard of people clearing their guns and the extractor hitting the primer during a match. Usually on the unload and show clear. Might cut their hand a little.

I've seen one case of a round going off by it's damn self while in a ammo box. Factory winchester white box sitting on a table at a GSSF match (I was a RO). The round made a popping noise, bullet made an indention in the table, bullet and case shot up out of the cardboard box. Case was found with no indention in the primer. We called it "Ghost fired". A few years latter it happened again but I was not there.

I guess if you hang out at the range enough you'll see everything at least once.