So a coworker of mine wants me to buy his 94 z28

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NoVtecHatchy, Mar 7, 2004.

1. NoVtecHatchy

NoVtecHatchy New Member

To start i work as a mechanic at a merchants, so all the work that cna be possibly done will be done by myself, the car does no run right now, something about the compression being down in a couple cylinders, so i'm figuring why not do a complete rebuild, thing is i'm not into the v8 world, only car i've seriously built up was my old mr2 turbo, now i'm hungry for some v8. The guy will sell me the car for 700 bux, 94 z28 w/ auto trans. i don't want to rebuilt the motor back to stock, i would like to put some internals in there that would give me a little boost in hp, i'm not looking to spend a fortune tho, so i ask this section of ot, what should i do and where should i buy from?

2. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

There are tons of rebuilds you can do, but the power isn't going to be in the rebuild... unless you're going to run 13:1+ compression ratio and run methanol or 110+ race gas. Majority of the power is either going to come from your head/cam combo or a power adder.

I've seen 355, 377, 383, 396, 401, 406, 409, 411, 414, and a 422 cubic inch LT1. So the door is wide open to whatever you want to shell out the money for. Although the most common seem to be the 383 stroker. There's a bunch of 383 kits out on the market.

All depends on how fast you want to run, and how much money you want to spend.

3. NoVtecHatchy

NoVtecHatchy New Member

any website you can recommend to me, i don't know what kind of shape his auto tranny is in but i think it will be alright, i would probably want to go with a new rear end too right?

4. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

best bet on a rebuild is to pick up one of the 383 stroker kits out there, and then get a set of GTP heads, and a decent cam. This type of setup can get you around 450hp with good street manors. Check out places like Thunder Racing, and Internet Racers Supply, they have some good deals. Also Lingenfelter sometimes has clearence items, or garage sales that can get you a good deal. $700 is a good deal, and if you put around $2000 into the car it will reward you.
    I would also look into suspension packages in the future. Global West, LG Motorsports, and BMR all offer good suspension parts.

5. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi