A&P So 540ezs work great with my cactus triggers

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Creator, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I've got two 540ezs now and they work 99% of the time with my cactus triggers. Rejoice. The 580 still wants nothign to do with this party, although I plan to pick up a non S trigger and maybe that'll do the trick.

After playing with these 540s I dont get why people like the Vivitar 285HV so much. I've got one of those and boy is it ever slow to recharge. I snap off 5 flashes easy on the 540s before I can do one the 285 (all with fresh bats) sooo I think it's time to get rid of the 285.

I'd actually consider getting rid of the 580 since I always use it in manual but I like it for shooting live events since I can move the head in all directions. And one day I'll get those pocket wizards but with the 540s working so well I'd rather spend 50-100 another one (for a total of three) than 600 on PWs.

Now I think it's time to get some REAL lightstands and not these bullshit ebay ones. And some sandbags. And some real umbrellas too since two of them are breaking.

Uhm.. anyone want a 285, two light stands and two umbrellas (Slightly used ;) )?

2. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Oh and whats up with the port on the 540s... What the hell kind of connection is that? After hooking the 580 up via pccord to the catcus trigger I realized how much of a better setup that is than having the trigger on the lightsand with the flash. Whts this three prong BS?

3. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Aside from being shit-TTL, the 540 is a hell of a flash, I still shoot mine, and have just become very good at handling it manually. Good to know they work with the triggers :cool: If you use it manually the 540 is about 95% as good a flash as the 550 and about 85% as good as the 580, really. And you can pick them up for a song used.

The port on the side of them is for a canon battery pack that has C or D batteries or something. You can make such a thing yourself if you get the wiring right to match the voltage, and in doing so you can get it to cycle instantly. Just be careful not to fry the thing by doing so for too long :)

4. alexromo

alexromo New Member

holler for the flash at lightstand and umbrellas

5. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Canon high voltage pack. I have two of them can be had for about 140-150 and will pop off about 8 full 1/1 power flashes consecutively. I have 2 540ezs and love them for strobist stuff. works great, i too dont understand the fad of the 285hv... same cost, relatively same power, but the 540ez has 1/1 - 1/128 power control...