Snow leopard wipe and install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheSmogShop, Sep 17, 2009.

1. TheSmogShop

TheSmogShop OT Supporter

I want to do a wipe and install of snow leopard on my MBP. if I do that, how can I recover some of the programs that i have bought. the ones that come to mind are CS3, Microsoft Office, and Parallels. Also I have a shady copy of AutoCAD installed on to parallels. Can i get that back too?
    Thanks.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Back them up onto an external HD. If you don't have one, you should probably invest in one... no backup solution for a laptop = dumb idea in case the worst ever happens (you lose it, bye bye data)

3. TheSmogShop

TheSmogShop OT Supporter

Ive been backing up with time machine for months. so what, I just run the programs from my back up after the install and they should work?

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

It will ask you if you want to import data from Time Machine during re-install of Snow Leopard. If you don't want to do it then, run Migration Assistant after the install is over as admin user and it will import all your stuff from Time Machine.

Or you can just open Time Machine after and drag the particular apps you want if you want to do it like that.

5. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I just cloned my HD to my external and then after going snow leopard I could drag things into my new hard drive from the external. Its quite easy.

6. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

I recommend doing the Time Machine backup, and letting it restore it through the setup process. In my case, made things much easier, and seamless once the install was complete.

Just my 2 cents.