Snoring a result of getting bigger?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Shroomy, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shroomy

Shroomy OT Supporter

I started lifting pretty heavily for the past 8 months or so. During that time, I've gotten bigger and stronger, but I've also started snoring pretty loudly. I used to NEVER snore. Could the two be interrelated? Has anyone else developed a similar problem?

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

Have you gained weight? I never snored in my life but, since early this summer, have put on a lot of weight - and immediately after I passed 195 or so I started snoring all the time.

3. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

pics?

4. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

:werd:

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

if snoring was a result of being big and lifting id make the sound of an orca fucking whale in my sleep.

6. Shroomy

Shroomy OT Supporter

That sucks. I started at around 170lb earlier this year and now that I'm at 185 I suddenly start snoring. I don't want to be a snorer. :mad:

I've got to admit though, I have noticed a change in my breathing since I started working out. I randomly find myself taking in a deep breath here and there throughout the day almost subconsciously.

7. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

shroomy -Why do you care if you snore? The whore next to you is the one who cant sleep and should care?

8. Shroomy

Shroomy OT Supporter

The snoring has been causing me to wake up occasionally.

9. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

I talk in my sleep.....the most recent time the fiance my sleeping on my chest, she siad I pushed her off, sat up, looked at her with my eyes wide open and screamed "your resurrecting the champ" 2 or 3 times really loudly then went back to sleep.

I have a real bad issue with sleep walking, talking....both with my eyes wide open, talking to people, making food, doing chores, getting really angry. Dont live with deaf people @ night time, they fuck your head up for life.

10. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

hahaha you wake yourself up from snoring, I never heard that one before. Wow...sucks.

11. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Happened to me too. Started doing more cardio, will see if that helps any.

It's worse when I drink lots of coffee/smoke though. May be cardiovascular related.

12. CPop

CPop New Member

Yes, snoring is a side effect of getting bigger. As your neck gets larger you're far more likely to snore. Apnea is the large concern here. Nearly every big guy I know either has untreated apnea or uses a CPAP, which is a mask that send pressurized air so you can breath properly and thus sleep better. If you're waking yourself up snoring there is a very very good chance that you have apnea, and I highly recommend getting a sleep study done.

FWIW, I believe the numbers are 17-1/2" and larger neck size before you get the significant increase in probability of apnea. I have a small frame, and snored @ 165 lbs, so being a hundred pounds heavier makes the CPAP a necessity.

Apnea is a serious health concern, so again, I recommend seeing a doctor and getting a sleep study done.

13. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

aww shit, i have 17.5" neck.

14. DaFreak963

DaFreak963 New Member

maybe your just more tired so you snore. :dunno:

15. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

This has always been a concern of mine. I don't snore, but the bigger I get (over 200lbs @ 5' 8" - 5' 9") my breathing gets heavier at night (so my girl says).

I am worried about this because my dad has sleep apnea from being pretty big (5' 9" @ 315) and has to sleep with a CPAP machine every night. I'd hate to spend the rest of my life requiring a machine to get good quality sleep.

Admittedly, this is why I usually cut my bulks off at 205-210 lbs max. I'd hate to develop this problem. I try to keep my average weight around 190lbs.

16. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

You'll feel it coming....you'll start to wake up every so often then you'll starting waking up and you'll be totally out of oxygen; gasping for air then you'll starting waking up every hour or two (when you get really big) gasping for air. You get used to it and you know you'll live but it will get worse.

I gained 44% of my body weight in a short time when I was younger and about once a week I'd wake up gasping. Different ways to sleep to make it a little less noticable but it's the cost of gaining a bunch of weight.

17. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

The guy who has alot of problems at my gym is 5'5 @ 260 and pretty damn lean. He also said he thinks his diet makes it a little worse, he doesnt think 8 cups of rice, 1.5 pounds of red meat among many other things really helps. I'm not that big but he said if he cuts out alot of the carbs it helps with breathing.

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, at his worst, before the CPAP, my dad was waking up every 20-30min throughout the night. He always was tired and felt like ass too.

The CPAP was a blessing to him, but I just don't ever want to get to the point of needing one.

I wonder if it's related to body weight in total, or obesity? IIRC, BDR uses one and he's pretty lean.

19. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

I keep referring to the big guy in the gym because he had such a problem and it was related to the gym or so he says.

The guy said when he was younger he had a very small frame, without the gym he said he thinks he would only weigh 150 or so (how he got that big is mute). He said he simply blames it on the weight gain; he thinks he has put too much muscle on his frame, especially around his neck area. The guy is really lean but it looks “different”; weighing 260 @ 5'5. He's really wide; his neck is just as large. He told me right away he's not a doctor so don’t take his word for it but he thinks when he is relaxed and laying down at night the muscle around his neck is a little too much weight for his throat. He also noted when he cuts back on the carbs and drops whatever water weight he can it seems like pressure is taken off his throat at night.

If your in shape and gained a few pounds from lifting I don’t think it would be an issue. If you gain 100+ pounds from lifting and you look like you’re a walking cinder block or morbidly obese then it definitely is going to be a problem. Some thing people just have the issue passed down to them but you’d know even when you were younger.

It can be caused by being over weight, much larger than nature intended (due to the gym and "help") or just because it is hereditry. It's a shame but if your Dad could drop a fair amount of weight I'm sure he wouldnt need the machine. That weight really takes a toll on a human body.

20. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

I have to emphasise that sleep apena is some serious shit.

21. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

C-Pap crew signing in :hsd:

22. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

23. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

He's lean at 5'5'' 265 lbs? Sure...

24. TZ

TZ Banned

:roflw:

25. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Ok children, I have buddies who have won super heavy weight and heavy weight classes in New England, I've been with Pur when he's been in shows. I have a decent idea of what lean is. The guy isn't in stage condition but he is very lean for everyday shape. Much leaner than anyone would expect a person that size to be.
    ............someone's really big and lean, oh no it must be a lie.

Some people have more motivation than you lazy bum fucks posting about how many almonds you eat a day, argue over rolled oats vs. regular oats and bitch that certain socks are holding you back from breaking that 1 rep 225 .lb bench you've been after for years. Go cock gobble in another post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.