Snatches

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jmezz, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

I going to sack up and add snatches to my shoulder routine but I have a few questions before I do it.

I'm not an athlete of any kind, I'm interested in strictly hypertrophy. Is this lift geared more towards athletes?

If not, then does anyone have any links detailing how to perform the lift? I checked exrx but I remember reading that site is kinda sketchy to take lifting instruction from.

Also, can someone link me or post about the benefits of each variation
    (full snatch, power snatch, and hang snatch) and the pros/cons of each?

Thanks.

<3 jmezz

2. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Guest

if you're strictly interested in hypertrophy then don't do snatches. they don't work your shoulder in the way that you want them to.

3. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

stay away

4. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

I love doing snatches, but they really slam your upper back more than your shoulders. The shoulder joint is only used isometrically. It's a move to work on explosiveness, not hypertrophy. The best variation for hypertrophy would be high rep hang/power snatches.

You can get a good description here: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/cissek3.htm

5. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

hang snatches are awesome trap builders

6. jmezz

That's mainly the reason why I wanted to add them to my routine. I already do hang cleans but my traps need work real bad.

Maybe I'll just stick to hang cleans then, and I think I'll start doing upright rows again and see where that gets me.

7. Mike McDermott

hang snatch > hang clean :eek3:

8. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

9. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

agreed. snatches work my abs a ton also

10. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

11. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

You can see little blonde hairs on the snatch, I don't understand... can you breed women not to have a black forest down there?! :x:

12. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Snatches are not a body building exercise. They will make you explosive, allow to forget ever doing situps/crunches/cable crunches/side bends/etc. ever again, improve your vertical leap, and give you some ridiculous strength overhead. They will build your traps and delts, but it will take time. Here is one of the few guys who can snatch over 210 kilos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPfHtLdduD4
    [​IMG]
    keep in mind this guy is a fucking beast 6'2" 130ish kilos. (I love it when the barbell bends like that)

13. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

whitest looking guy from Qatar i've ever seen :rofl:

14. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

LOL. No that is Evgeny Chigishev he is the Russian Super who hopefully destroy Rezazadeh in Beijing. Picture was take at World's 2005 which was held in Qatar.

15. jmezz

Dam what a hott vag.

And I think I'm going to drop the hang cleans from my routine and give snatches a shot. I like the fact they'll help my overhead press as that needs work.

When I start doing them, are there any distinct feelings that I'll experience that will let me know I'm doing the lift wrong/right?

Thanks for the links.

16. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

do snatches and cleans

17. NUDES

NUDES New Member

ask yourself: what bodybuilder does snatches? none. all they do is train for hypertrophy.

18. jmezz

So I said fuck it and tried them anyway. Today I started out with standing military press, then went and did 4 sets of snatches, followed by the usual 3 sets of hang cleans.

The first 2 sets of snatches I used lighter weight and went to 10 reps to feel the lift out. The last 2 sets I banged out 5 reps each time with a moderate load.

What you guys do for reps on snatches?

Also, as I got to the end of each set I could feel my form start to slip. My arms started to bend a little bit when I would pull the barbell up. Is this something big to worry about?

I'm going to say that my traps have never had a pump like they did today. It was amazing.

19. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Rep wise, with either clean or snatch, keep it under 5 if you are looking for strength gains and preferably in the three rep range, but of course increasing the sets.

About the arm bend. When the arms bend, the pull ends. Think of it this way; let's say you have a truck which is stuck in the mud and you have a rope and you have to pull it out. You attach the rope to your bumper turn around and sprint in the opposite direction. Well two things could happen; you could generate enough force to snap the rope or have the rope reach its maximum elasticity and jerk you back, or even a combination of the two.

With your muscles, the same thing can happen. If you bend your arms a lot in the clean or snatch in either pull phase, you are using a relatively small muscle to generate force. But of greater concern, you are also using them to absorb the force the rest of your body is generating as they are jerked straight from their contracted state. Do this enough times, and the unusual soreness of your biceps, will turn into shit loads of pain as they become torn.

Besides introducing the possibility of injury, you are also wasting energy which could be used for force generation and putting the weight over head. In the short--keep the arms long for as long as possible before you initiate the second pull. If after workout you are experiencing unusual soreness in your biceps, it is a sign you are doing it wrong.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  20. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

ask yourlsef: what bber ahs a big cock? answer none

21. Mike McDermott

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.