SnapStream PVR software...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tosh, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

Hey guys, anyone running this?
    Looks like great software, PVR, skip ads, DivX compression built in and I can stream it wirelessly to my laptop... AND NO SUBSCRIPTION!

http://www.snapstream.com

Any comments or experience with it?

2. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

I've gotta try this. I'm tired of setting up a Shoutcast server to stream my TV across the network. :eek3:

3. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

Update, after reading reviews, the streaming apparently doesn't work.
    This is the only real problem that it has I guess... Some manual programming issues, but I was hoping to stream it wirelessly (802.11g 55Mbps) to my laptop so I can watch TV in the shade in my hammock :)

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I don't know how I ever lived without it, I never watch commercials anymore and I don't have to buy videos for my daughter, I don't have ot get up at 4am to watch a show that I want to catch...
    I stream to my laptop using Windows Media (you can set it to automatically recompress) and it looks great on my 802.11a (54Mbps)

5. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Interesting. Looks like I'm going to need to pick up a spare computer to set up as a dedicated PVR :hsd:

6. aphoric

Make sure you get a Hauppauge PVR-250, that is the best capture card for use with Snapstream, my AIT AIW needs to use 50% of my CPU to encode MPEG-2 durring recording and timeshifting...

Another good feature, I can connect to snapstream.net or directly to my machine at home over the net and schedule recordings while I am away from home...

7. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

Unfortunatly I need to use my ATI AIW 9600Pro, no funds o buy the Hauppauge, building a house. :)

My system is P4 3.2 HT
    512 DDR @ 400 Dual Channel
    120GIG SATA 8MB
    ABIT IS7-E MOBO

So you think it would be laggy if it were sending something to my TV (Ill be using a 30 foot SVHS cable to port to my TV) Or only when compressing?

Can I set it up to compress the vids it recorded at night instead?

8. aphoric

You should be good, I have the 9660 Pro AIW, 1024MB RAM, 2.8 HT, 40GB +160GB drives... You can set time constraints for the showsqueeze, where it recompresses to whatever format you choose. I let it go whenever, so, I can watch a recorded show, while it is recording another and it is squeezing another show and still check my email and surf the web without any lag. If you don't have an HDTV, then you can send interlaced video that will save more processor power, but you already have power to spare. I have 150GB used for TV right now, each half hour in WMV at max settings takes up 300+MB, in MPEG-2 at DVD quality a half hour takes up 1.5GB... It takes about an hour for my machine to reencode a 30 minute MPEG-2 to WMV...

9. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

I love it, im using the Hauppauge pvr 250

10. aphoric

I am going to add on a PVR-250, so I can take advantage of the multiple tuner support in the next version that is going beta this week.

11. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

Good news! Then I'm not worried, though I do have a TV that will play HDTV but since the show I'm recording it not in HD then I have no way of getting it do I?

Upgrades or patches are released when needed then?

12. aphoric

Yes, upgrades are free so far...

You can use software deinterlacing (stand alone line doublers cost over $1k, I think) and output to the HDTV and it will look better, so it will be 480p if you selelct "software deinterlace (progressive fields)"
    Then you can use the CRT to component video adapter from ATI and it should look great, you can find out more info on the Snapstream forums...