Snake River Valley's Strongest Man Write up

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by forum95, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

Oct 6.
    8:30 AM my alarm rang, I was nervous and excited at the same time as this was my first SM competition. I ate a a cereal breakfast with some coffee and protein bars. Weigh ins were at 9:30 so as I was done eating me and my girlyfriend checked out of the Shilo Inn suites and headed over a couple blocks to the competition. At this point my nerves were starting to pick up and I felt really weak and stiff as I'd taken the whole previous week off from weight training completely to rest for the comp.
    After the pre-comp meeting, the weight groups were split up into different events. The women started out at the farmers walk, the HW men the log press, and the LW/Teens were sent to the 18" deadlift (off of blocks). Since I was in the teen class, my first event was the 18" deadlift.

18' Max deadlift 3 attempts (there is a picture of me doing this event in the link)
    This event was actually a bit higher then 18", Normally the 18" deadlift is around 3.5 inches below my knee cap, this event was about an inch lower then my knee cap so it was higher. I knew my deadlift was going to be a lot weaker then a lot of the LW men, but I wasn't too worried going into the event. I warmed up by repping 3 sets of 3 with light weight, going from 245 to 315. My name was called and I called out for 425 as my opener. I hit that easily and told the judge that I wanted 485 as my 2nd attempt. Since that was lighter then everyone else's opener (LW mens opener was 495) I went again. I stepped up to the weight got prepared and gave force with every bit of force I could muster. The weight moved very very slowly as I used a ton of lower back, and got stuck just above the knee level, I hitched it up slowly, the whole lift took around 5 seconds, but I got the lift. I called it quits there for the deadlift as this was most likely my max. However, after the 2nd lifter went I was notified that they made a mistake with weight loading and my attempt was actually 505 and not 485. This was around a 40lb PR so I was pleased, however the teen I was competing against DL'd 615 so I lost.

Max distance Farmers walk 230lbs/hand with a turn at 50 feet 1 drop and you're out (pic of me in the link)
    I had some anxiety before the farmers because in training we use farmers with a very low pickup and 230lbs is a hard pickup for me. I warmed up with the womans weight which was 120lbs and I noticed that the pickup was very high so I was a bit confident with that. We loaded the 230lbs onto the implement and I warmed up with a pickup and the weight felt fine. I believe I was the 2nd or third competitor and the first 2 LW men made it around 60 ft. IIRC. I set up, got focused and gave the weight a launch. The pickup was very smooth, and I hustled very briskly and smooth in a straight line and touched the 50ft. marking line. These implements were very very long so the turn at 50ft. was pretty tough. at the end of the turn the weights got off track to the left, and I had to pause for a good 5 seconds to straighten them out, I started walking as quickly as I could towards the other direction, about 30 ft. in the other direction my grip just gave out and I dropped em. I officially had walked 83 ft and some change. I was happy as this was around a 30ft. PR and I had never turned with the weight. I lost this event because the competitor in the teen class walked around 150ft.

Max Car squat
    I didn't really know what to expect for this event because I have never squat'd a car. Warmups was the apperatus empty. I stepped up the the apperatus and it felt like a smith machine, you had to keep your feet really far infront of you and the it was like squatting with the bar fixed on a rail. The warmup felt like it was around 400lbs empty, and the warmup was semi tough. All the competitors in the LW class had squat suits and wraps, I didn't have any of these things so I was at a disadvantage. The car (kia rio) was loaded onto the squat apperatus, and everyone warmed up with the bar empty. I stepped under the bar (which was pretty low) and unracked, the weight was very heavy at the top, and I descended but couldnt really budge the weight back up :mad: I bombed out this event, I think the apperatus with the car was right around 500lbs, I definetly need to bring my squat up and get a squat suit next time.

Max Log (12") 3 attempts 20lb increments
    Well in the contest form, it states that teens get to use a 10" log and opening weight was 160lbs, so I clarified with Jay (contest promoter) and he said that he wanted the teens to use the 12" log and opener was going to be 210lbs with the LW men :mad: I had been training with a 12" log so I wasn't too bothered, whatever. I warmed up with the empty log, then with a 160lbs loaded onto the log for a few reps. I went 2nd or third and my first attempt was 210lbs. I lapped, clean, and pressed a very smooth 210lbs. The judged asked what my next attempt was going to be and I stated 230lbs. My name was called and I stepped up to the 230lb log. I lapped, cleaned, and I tried to press it, but it came about half way and stalled. I dropped the log, and re-grouped. I lapped it with all the power I could, cleaned it with everything I had, and gave the most leg drive I could and I pressed and locked out the 230 log. +15lb PR on the 12" log and I was happy. My next attempt was the 250 log, I wasn't feeling to confident but I was going to give it a shot. I lapped and clean the log pretty smoothly. I dipped down and went for the press but didn't get it to far off my chest. I dropped the weight back onto my lap and tried to clean it again, but no luck and stopped there. I lost this event as well, as the other teen competitor hit a 290 log, and almost nailed a 310 log :eek4:

Max Atlas stone lift to a 50" bar, 3 attempts
    Ok so this is the event that I got seriously pissed off at. Where to start.... So everyone put tacky on right at the beginning of the event, if any of you have ever used tacky, its very very fucking sticky. However, the women started out the atlas stones and it lasted about 30 minutes before my attempt. Meanwhile the tacky that I put on was just chillin on my body and became progressively LESS sticky. whatever, I opened up with a 240lb stone and basically threw the stone over the bar. Cake. My 2nd attempt was the 300lb stone. I KNEW I could get this, I lapped it very easily (when you see the video callie even says EASY lap! or something of that nature) and I accend towards the bar, popping my hips very easy. The stone comes up easy and light! (However, I am going to call it BEING LAZY) I let the stone come down before it was over the bar, and it fell short, and dropped on the ground. :ugh: WHATEVER, I'll regroup. So i went down to lap the stone and I couldn't even lap it, it just slid around (I think from lack of tacky, and it not being very sticky anymore). Mind you, I have lapped and came very close to loading a 330lb stone in training so I was very very pissed that I couldn't even lap the 300 anymore. So basically my stone load was 240lbs, even though I know I was capable of 300lbs or possible 330lbs.

Here is the final standings my name is Andrew Simpson
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some memorable highlights of the comp: Reggie Barton (NAS pro) came very close to breaking the log press record coming inches of a 425lb log lockout. and Marshall White lapped but could not load a record 535lb atlas stone.

PICTURES can be found here (scroll down some) I am the man of darker complexion wearing a red sweater and a backwards grey hat.

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7657&page=22&pp=10

A short video of some of the competitors I have some footage at around 22 seconds, and 40 seconds. WATCH MY 300LB STONE AND YOU CAN SEE WHY I WAS SO DAMN FRUSTERATED!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8N3shCFdJ0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emarunde%2Dmuscle%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D7657%26page%3D22%26pp%3D10

In conclusion, I was happy with my performance (minus stones) I set some PR's and had an absolute blast. More pictures and videos will be coming so check back!!!

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

congrats on the PRs!

3. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Awesome, after watching the local event on saturday I have alot more appreciation for this stuff.

4. Memor

Memor Active Member

awesome job dude! you worked hard for this :bigthumb:

5. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

good job man

is that jesses wife in the black?

6. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Nice job man.
    Who's the retard with the camera? Get them a tripod.

7. forum95

Not to pass judgement but the kid who was filming was a competitors son, and I'm almost positive he had a disability. Once my girlfriend stops being lazy I'll have a bit more vid and some pics

8. forum95

Yep that's Callie, real nice woman.

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Great work bro! It takes a little something between the legs to get out there and compete and you did it. Keep training hard and the results will be great!

Great to see Callie competing, too.

10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

:hsd: Can I call 'em or what.

11. forum95

asshole :p

12. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

great job dude. what ever happened to your log? i liked your training style.

13. TZ

TZ Banned

great job dude

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.