snagging head from combo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by the_padawan, Dec 26, 2004.

1. the_padawan

the_padawan Guest

I have a 14 watt combo guitar amp and i only need to make use of the input and headphone output. To reduce the bulkiness, I want to remove the amp from the speaker. It's been a while since physics, but I believe it would be a bad idea to leave the speaker circuit open. The speaker that was originally attached is rated with 8ohms impedence, should I attach an 8ohm resistor to the open speaker circuit?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

leaving the speaker circuit open is 100% safe. This gives you an "infinite" resistance, which is okay... It would be bad to provide less than 8ohms resistance, but since infinity is above 8, then it's okay ;).

3. the_padawan

the_padawan Guest

hmm... the way I thought of it, the headphone out and speaker out must be in some sort of parallel setup. If there was a resistance on the speaker's end greater than 8 ohms wouldn't it cause electrons to prefer flowing through the headphone circuit more than they're supposed to?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's 100% safe... With the headphones out, you have an infinite impediance on that circut, and with the speaker disconnected you have an infinite impediance on that circuit. Nothing will "flow".

In addition, the two are never "connected" at any given time... If the headphones are out, power is routed through one amp to the main speaker (infinite impediance). If the headphones are connected, the amp for the speaker is disconnected (because the amp will, by-design, turn off output to the speaker) and the amp for the headphones will be on.

For all intents and purposes, your "amplifer" actually has TWO amps in it. They share the same source, and only one is on at any given time, but there are two amps, and an infinte impediance as the load will not hurt an amp.

5. the_padawan

the_padawan Guest

OK I'll take your word on it. Thanks for the info man.