SMTP Server Hell

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Hello all,
    I work part time for a company as the IT guy while I'm taking classes...fun stuff I know. Anyway, we have an email problem that has left me stumped.

We have two email domains hosted by two different companies...1and1 and Interland. We have about half our employees on one, half on the other, all using Outlook 2003. Our 1and1 employees are having difficulty sending email to our Interland employees. About 50% of the time, the email sent will be refused by Interland and will be sent back saying it could not be delivered. Otherwise, it will go through fine.

I've sent email to the Interland accounts from my Gmail, Hotmail, College, and Yahoo accounts, and all 4 go through fine with no bouncebacks. The problem only occurs if we are sending from 1and1, so it's obviously the SMTP server for 1and1 that is causing the problems.

What in the world would cause this??? At first I thought Interland had blocked 1and1, but why would some go through and others not? Thanks for any help you guys can give!

2. Terikan

Terikan Guest

I don't know much about corporate email, but you should copy paste the actual email that gets sent back, as it might be less vague.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Well, first, I guess you probably already know this but your setup is a little whacked :) I'd recommend you contact Interland and have them white-list the addresses that are being blocked (and/or your entire domain).

4. Sexual Vanilla

I wholeheartedly agree...however it was like this when I was hired, and I doubt they are going to go through with my recommendations to purchase a server and run Exchange on it.:wtc:

Anyway, here's the email bounceback:

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

According to (http://64.226.3.32/al/12/122/14730.html) on Interland's web site they say that blacklisting is usually temporary (for a few hours). SMTP is actually really touchy I've found -- spam might be being sent by those addresses that are being blocked (they are spoofed) and Interland says nyuh-uh. Just like how sometimes you'll get an email from yourself but in this case it's being spammed.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Well, I've fixed the problem temporarily by installing an SMTP server program on a desktop here, and having everyone route their outgoing messages to it. Still...any ideas on what would cause the initial problem?

7. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Your office email setup is whack! If it all falls under one domain name, select a single company, have the mx records updated, and have all employees change to sending through that smtp.