MIL Smp

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by college junkie, Dec 27, 2006.

1. college junkie

college junkie New Member

I'm thinking about getting involved in the SMP program, but I'm not looking to get shipped off before I get my degree (I'd be pretty pissed if I got sent to Iraq with just weekend national guard training.. I'd enlist and get real training if I wanted to do that). I'm definitely looking to go in to the Army as an officer and I'm ok with going to the middle east, but I'm definitely trying to get my degree first. I guess my question is.. is SMP designed to give ROTC cadets extra training or is it designed to get more people on the reserve lists? Can SMP students get shipped off before graduation? I want to go into the recruitment office with a little background so I don't make any stupid moves.

2. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

Being a newbie, don't take anything I type here 100% because I could be wrong and stand for correction.

Anyhow, I THINK that if you are involved in any training to become an officer, you are ineligible to be deployed during that time. And I think SMP doesn't give you extra training, it takes two years OFF training. It takes the first two years off your ROTC program and starts you at the last two years. You also get paid as an E-5.

Remember what I said at the top, it's possible that everything said here is inaccurate. However, that's what I've heard from people.

3. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

taken from military.com

"The Simultaneous Membership Program is a volunteer officer training program that allows Army National Guard enlisted members to participate in the Advanced ROTC Program. The intent of the SMP is to increase officer accessions into the Army National Guard by increasing ROTC enrollment from enlisted National Guard members who are attending college.

Upon completion of Basic Training, an Army National Guard soldier who is an academic junior can join the Advanced ROTC Program and earn a commission as an officer in the U.S. Army upon completion of their college degree. In addition, contracted non-scholarship cadets and Reserve Forces Duty scholarship cadets can join an Army National Guard unit and the SMP. "

so from what i comprehend, you have to be already enlisted and been through basic to qualify

4. college junkie

college junkie New Member

Well I'm a sophomore right now and if I were to join the program I'd enlist and go through basic this summer, but I'd want to be sure that I couldn't be sent off in the next two years before I committed.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

SMP is really just a label for those cadets that are enlisted and contracted into the ROTC program. They do their regular drills and are paid a monthly stipend by the ROTC program after they are contracted. There is no extra training other than the experience you will receive from your unit as a platoon leader. Contracted ROTC cadets cannot be deployed unless they do so on their own accord. But should you do so, Do not ever expect to ever get back into the program. Also i wouold suggest you speak with the recruitment officer in the ROTC program you plan to attend rather than go to a recruitment office. In my experience, the people there know very little about the program itself. Their job is not to know everything about the army, but rather enough to get you to enlist.

*edit* I just remembered. Any Cadet who has a transcript showing that they finished one semester of ROTC and have intentions of going through with the program cannot be involuntarily deployed.

6. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Does that refer to an enlisted guy in ROTC? If not, you could just say fuck off. If you're not contracted they can't make you do anything afaik

7. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

1)you dont need to be prior enlisted
    2)you dont have to go to boot camp
    3)you are not mandated to become a guard and reserve officer when you commission, its still up to you where you serve
    4)you dont have to be a junior to get an SMP contract
    5)if you are MOSq'd you can be deployed by the state but not the federal gov(in other words, if you are prior, yes to hurricanes no to Iraq)

8. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

military.com lies :eek4:

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

i was thinking single marine program

10. MumblingJoe169

the way they describe it is for someone to go to join the guard or reserves, go to basic training, then either be an academic junior or go to school till they are one, then join ROTC, then become an SMP cadet.
    Going to basic enables a cadet to skip the first two years of ROTC, which are crap, and come in their 3rd year without having to go to the Basic Course in the summer and attend the Advanced Course with their peers.

One does not need to become an SMP cadet if they are in the guard or reserves and then joins ROTC. Once they sign an ROTC contract, all previous contracts are voided. Its up to them to rejoin the National Guard or Reserves by signing an SMP contract. At this point they would be federally undeployable. They are deployable by state, but normally the Professor of Military Science( a LTC) frowns upon his cadets missing school.

A cadet one year or less from signing an ROTC contract (such as a 2nd year cadet) can enlist in the guard under a Potential SMP contract. This means they don't have to go to basic if they don't want to, and pretty much makes them undepoyable in all situations. They get paid as an E-3 i believe, but drill as cadets. When they sign an ROTC contract they would then be bumped up to E-5 pay. If they disenroll from ROTC, I believe they are given the choice to remain as an enlisted soldier and go to basic or disenroll from the guard.
    Remember, no matter what our recruiters told us, you were never at any point FORCED to go to basic. If you don't go, you just get disenrolled like a DEP.

11. shiba

shiba Active Member

yes. but you must have an official transcript showing that you completed at least one semester of ROTC. You must have continuing involvement with the program. Don't think you can go to one semester of ROTC, quit and think you can get escape deployment.

Heres the great thing about being a SMP cadet. You are guarenteed a slot as an officer in the reserves or the national guard as long as you have a "by name request" from your unit. Also, you can get any branch you choose as long as its the branch your unit is in.

12. MumblingJoe169

it makes the process easier, but any cadet can go to a unit commander and ask for a by name request after an interview. I know a guy who got a by name request to an aviation unit in the PA Guard OVER THE PHONE! And hes a total shitbag too. They must be hard up for Apache pilots up in Pittsburgh.
    You just need to request reserves or guard when you assess, and find a unit afterwards.