Smoking

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by slopdogg, May 1, 2002.

1. slopdogg

slopdogg Guest

I am about to buy an 88 Chevy Silverado. It has a 350 and one hell of a shift kit. The motor smokes and uses the hell out of oil. I was wondering what is the cheapest way to stop it frm smoking or cut it down. I had heard that if i use some Lucas oil addative it might help it some. Is there any truth to this?
    Thanks

2. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Engine Honey

3. slopdogg

slopdogg Guest

4. Guest

Guest Guest

All depends on what is causing it to smoke. If it is the rings you are pretty SOL and time for a rebuild. If it is valve seals they are easy to do if you dont feel scared pulling the heads off the block. But in eather case you can try running 30w50w oil and it will help.

5. WTY84

WTY84 Guest

Well it could be a blow-by problem. I would recomend checking out the seals and bearings. If alot of stuff needs to be done I would just get the standard Crate 350 I think they are around like $1400 starting not sure though so dont quote me on it.

6. slopdogg

slopdogg Guest

It doesnt scare me to pull off the heads. I dont really think its the seals. I will probably look into a rebuild kit.

7. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

take a stroll down the save-your-engine-stuff isle at your local auto parts store :big grin:, check out that stuff that promises to stop smoking

8. slopdogg

slopdogg Guest

Someone told me it could be a stuck valve. If it was, how would i go about checking it?

9. Nemesis_152

Nemesis_152 I'm a delicate desert flower from Arizona.

compression test is the first thing i would do. if you find a low cylinder, put a teaspoon of oil into it. if compression raises significantly, you have bad rings. if not, it's either a)head gasket, b) a bad valve seat or c) a sticking valve.

10. slopdogg

slopdogg Guest

11. Nemesis_152

Nemesis_152 I'm a delicate desert flower from Arizona.

and, dude, if the motor is smoking and using oil....dont buy it. you'll be much better off wiht a better running truck.

12. slopdogg

slopdogg Guest

i am getting it pretty cheap. i also get a new bed, 2 new fender, and a grille from a newer truck

13. slopdogg

slopdogg Guest

it has a kit, i know the guy who had the truck before me. I know he put it in.