SRS Smoking pot to deal with problems?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by schmitty101, Jan 15, 2010.

1. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

I went to see another counselor, but he just wants to put me on medication. I've tried anti-depressants once before. They kinda helped, but I stopped taking them. I'm not very comfortable taking pills because the side effects are unknown. One year they say this medication will help, then 5 years later they say that that medication caused lots of people to commit suicide. They don't know how the brain works, and as far as I'm concerned we are all just guinea pigs.

I started thinking yesterday that marijuana might be for me. I've always had a bad relationship with marijuana though. I never smoked on a regular basis. I would only smoke once every 2-6 months just to fit in with people in high school, and when I smoked my thoughts and paranoia would go out of control and then later on when I calmed down I found myself using the thoughts that I had while high to challenge my regular thoughts. I just ended up getting more confused and didn't know what to believe. However, I noticed that on the few occasions when I smoked 2-3 times in a row, then the weed would calm me down and it actually felt like I was normal and thinking clearly. I've meet so many people that smoke pot for various reasons and they swear by it as a natural herb with lots of healing properties.

So I just wanted to get your opinions on this. Should I try smoking weed on a regular basis? Please give this some thought. Consider my situation: Alone, depressed, poor self image, no confidence, shitty attitude. My whole train of thought feels like it's messed up. For example, I won't join facebook because I think that everyone I know and used to know views me as the disturbed kid who doesn't belong on there. If I joined, I think they would all be like "oh look, he's trying to make some progress with himself. Good for him, that kid is really fucked up." Is that not a fucked up reason to not join facebook? Another example is the fact that I renounce technology. I hate cell phones, facebook, myspace, text messages, etc, because I think that they ruin people by making them shallower, superficial, and less in touch with reality. But then again what the fuck do I know? I don't know how to get along with people and I haven't had a real friend in about 7 years. I don't even feel like I have my own personality. I think I lost so much confidence at one point that I was completely afraid of being myself so I just took my brothers personality and now I try to act exactly like him. The way I think, most of my responses to people, are all just things that I think my older brother would say. I'm afraid to be myself because that last time I tried that I was rejected by most people in high school. Pretty fucked up if you ask me...I mean can it really get much worse? What the fuck do i have to lose by smoking pot?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

It seems to me that you're just anti-social. Cannabis is not the answer to you're problems. It won't magically change you and will most likely intensify your current personality. I never recommend weed as a solution or escape of problems. You receive positive benefits from it if you are a positive person already.

My advice would be to just get out there and place yourself in social situations that you feel a little uncomfortable in. Talk to random people and judge their reactions to you, figuring out what works and what doesn't. Don't get concerned with rejection. Normal people get rejected all the time. Shit happens just move on. If you aren't doing it already, start working out and exercising. It will make you feel a lot better.

3. schmitty101

Don Ganja- I've tried all that and I just don't have the right mentality to keep my momentum going throughout my progress. If I make a little progress, something reminds me of how much my life sucks, hate my family, etc. Then my whole attitude goes to shit and I lose my progress. I think pot will allow me to relax and be more carefree, which is why I want to try smoking it to help me. I've never heard anyone say that it will intensify your current personality. I've only heard people say that it will help you.

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I'd have to say smoking all the time wouldn't be your best bet. I say smoke for a few days (say a weekend) and go hang out with people. A lot of people have different reactions to it. I do it quite regularly and I can drive and be social with people with no problems and don't feel paranoid. I say try it at least to see if it helps but keep in mind that if you do it all the time you may mentally depend on it and that will cause more problems than normal. A friend of mine is addicited to it(no not physically but mentally) and the way he explains it to me is that when he's not on it he feels out of control and like things are moving way to fast and he can't focus but when he's smoking he's able to relax and calm down and bring things to a normal pace for him.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

they're treat people like guinea pigs, but you're willing to experiment on yourself?

pot is not for you.

actually, you probably just *thought* you were calm and thinking clearly. you should get an objective OUTSIDE opinion before you decide you really were calm and thinking clearly.

yes, that is a fucked up reason to not join facebook.

and yet here you are using a computer and logging into one of the biggest web forums on the interent.......... smell the irony?

yes, it can be much, much worse, but this is your problem right here

You need to figure yourself out, and if you use pot to do it, are you really figuring yourself out?

stop trying to be your brother, fuck what other people say or think about you (because it's probably in your head anyway), and get YOUR personality back. then join a group and make some friends and go on from there.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

and he (and I) think you're going to use pot as a crutch and not really make any progress while you're on it.

if you're looking for advice, consider the advice you're getting.

if you're looking for someone to agree with what you already decided, why are you asking?

shocker! people who like smoking pot say smoking pot helps you! if you asked people who like getting whipped, I bet they'd say getting whipped helps you!

using pot would be avoiding the problem, not addressing it.

7. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Pot does not equal medicine. I understand your concerns regarding medication; however, there are many prescriptions that have been in use far longer than you may know. Marijuana does NOT make things more clear, it just creates a sensation that things are more clear: You can prove this to your self by smoking with people that are also smoking verses smoking with people whom are not. The people that are sober will think your fucking nuts. Exercise, fresh air, friendships, and a ridged schedule are the key to your success. Keep talking with your doctors - above all, their opinion is more valid than anything we can tell you on Off Topic, unless you have the same doctor as Michael Jackson.

8. thatguyjeff

thatguyjeff New Member

Lemme get this straight.

You're concerned about the possible side effects of a FDA tested and approved medication.

And, you have no problem with using an illegal, untested, unapproved drug where you have zero information regarding the source, potency, and any potential additives.

Yep, that's sound logic right there.

9. Sooka

Sooka New Member

You need to be really careful about the medication doctors are giving you, because like you said the side effects and withdrawal effects may be unknown to you. However if you have bad anxiety, especially social anxiety, then you shouldn't smoke pot every day. This is coming from someone who smokes pot every day, if it made you paranoid and anxious every time you smoked then pot won't help much with your problem. Pot can be a great anti-depressant for people who don't get bad anxiety or paranoia from pot, but for those who do I doubt it will make things any better.

However pot is generally safer and less habit-forming than any med the doctor will give you so if you want to give pot a try then go for it but if you still feel anxiety and paranioa after every time you smoke then in the end it'll probably only make things worse.

10. schmitty101

The reason I get paranoid is because I smoke very rarely. I'm already an emotional wreck as it is, so when I smoke pot, the high is like a shock to me, and my emotions go out of control and I get extremely paranoid about my life. Then when i smoke a second time I don't go into shock from the high. Instead I'm just mellow and feel happier. I gonna give it a shot.

11. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

i think it's cool that you don't want to go on meds, but would you try just therapy? a good cognitive behavioral therapist may do you a world of good, if you are willing to put in the work. i would advise you to look for a mental health counselor or a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. sometimes you have to try a few to get a good fit.

12. seismic

seismic New Member

That is not the reason you get paranoid. You get paranoid because there are chemicals in marijuana that make many people feel paranoid. Maybe at certain levels that is less of an effect on you.

Self medicating is a bad idea. You don't understand your own brain chemistry enough to decide what drug is going to "fix" you. Only someone qualified is going to be able to attempt to answer that.

13. Don Ganja

Well if you are gonna do it you're gonna do it. Keep in mind all the advice we are giving you. Although you feel good when you're high, it will not be the solution to your problems. It will not make you more sociable. That it a change that will have to come from within you. Just because some hippie stoners say that cannabis is a miracle drug that cures all ailments does not mean its true. There are several stoners in this thread telling you the exact opposite.

7960 nailed it. Don't let it be your cure all, because without you putting forth a legitimate effort nothing about you're life is going to change with the exception that now you're both depressed and stoned. If you can afford it, seek therapy. Get some exercise, go to public events, pick up a hobby, get laid. Do things. Step out of your comfort zone. A bit of action and adventure can go a long way.

Also keep in mind that if your problems get worse, you should stop immediately and rethink your decision to smoke. Although a lot of "facts" about cannabis are flat out misleading and untrue, it is entirely possible that it can intensify psychological problems in a few users and I have not seen any evidence against this.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  14. 7960

7960 New Member

:rofl:

"should I try pot?"
    "no"
    "but pot balh blah bhal..."
    "no"
    "but it might blah blah bhal..."
    "no"
    "but but pot pOT POT POT!!!!!!!!!!"
    "no"
    "ok, I'm gonna do it!!!"

Why the fuck did you make this thread?

15. Don Ganja

:rofl: seriously

16. 7960

7960 New Member

if I thought it would help and wanted to try it, I'd try it. the last thing I'd do is go shopping for someone to agree with me before I tried it, all the while ignoring 5 people who didn't agree with me and thought it may actually do more harm than good.

whatever................ shmitty, good luck. let us know how it goes.

17. schmitty101

:rolleyes: Fine, I'll put the thought on hold until I've worked with my school counselor a little.

The counselor that I saw wants to see me on a weekly basis. I'm gonna see him again on the 20th. The last time I saw him it was only for 20 minutes and I just went in there and spilled my guts to him. Next time we meet he wants to do an assessment on me and we are gonna go from there. I'll try to explain to him that I don't want to go on meds, but he seemed pretty determined that I should do that....he even gave me a pamplet for some cheap insurance that I should buy so that it helps cover the costs of seeing a psychiatrist and the pills.

So I'll spend the next few months working with him. I've never done this before and i'm kinda scared of how hard this is gonna be. I hope he's receptive to the idea of helping me without the medication.

18. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Suicide and depression...

First off the pills take time to work, so if you were putting the gun to your head and then went and got pills you need to wait, so go prior to that point.

Secondly... Your life, well you probably ruined it if you were really depressed. So what happens? The medication kicks in and you can start to fix things up and look at how they are. If you lost your house, car, family, friends and such to depression and then are finally able to take a real close look at it with different eyes? Then it's possible you would just kill yourself because you realize what you have done, which is why they try to get you to do something else other than just take pills, IE therapy or other such things.

As for side effects of medication, you can find them all easily. It's not even remotely hard. If you need it and your doctor suggests it then take their advice, of if you can go talk to a psychologist/psychiatrist if you don't trust them. Sometimes you need help, get it if you can.

In the end pot is the untested drug here, you claim they know nothing about the brain, but your local drug dealer does? Not likely, if all the people you see say take anti-depressants then it's entirely possible that you should, and self medicating is not a good way to solve it.

19. schmitty101

This thread is a perfect example of my problem. This thread is the perfect example of WHY I have no confidence and no self esteem. This is why I barely talk in social situations and why I am afraid to be myself. Let me explain..

So I've been struggling with this shit for too damn long (7-8 years). I seriously thought I had a good idea that I should try smoking pot. But what do you know, everyone that has posted so far is telling me i'm wrong, then some of you take it a step further and ridicule me because of my behavior:

"should I try pot?"
    "no"
    "but pot balh blah bhal..."
    "no"
    "but it might blah blah bhal..."
    "no"
    "but but pot pOT POT POT!!!!!!!!!!"
    "no"
    "ok, I'm gonna do it!!!"

Why the fuck did you make this thread?

So obviously there is a big problem here if I think that smoking pot might help me, but apparently its obvious that that is a bad idea. So fucking typical for me. When I am in social situations I used to try and join conversations but I never had anything good to say. If I ever made suggestions as to activities or ever tried to steer the conversation towards a certain topic, the people around me would give me a negative response. It's like i'm fucking stupid or just so fucking different from everyone?

How am I supposed to be confident and have self esteem? Why shouldn't I be afraid to be myself if these are the responses I get from people?

Seriously, can anybody figure this shit out?

20. 7960

7960 New Member

it's going to be hard...if it was easy, you wouldn't need him. But if you give it an honest effort, it's going to be worth it.

tell him in the first 5 minutes "I absolutely will not take meds until/unless we have exhausted every other option."

if he balks at that, walk out and ask for another counselor.

21. 7960

7960 New Member

you're not being ridiculed because of your problem, you're being ridiculed because you asked for advice with no intention of taking it.

if you think pot will help, do it.

if you're *ASKING* if pot is the answer because you aren't sure, and EVERYONE agrees it's not the answer, how can you conclude "I gonna give it a shot" and *not* expect some fallout from it?

this is a cop out.

thinking pot might help is kind of a rational thought. but asking for help and getting 7 "no!" answers and still concluding "I gonna give it a shot" means you wanted to try it all along and wanted someone to agree with you. take responsibility and stop pushing everything off on "my problem."

you haven't really given counseling a shot, you haven't really given drugs a real chance to work, you keep wallowing in your sorrows because you have a problem.........go talk to someone and work on getting it fixed. if, after REAL effort, that doesn't work, then try something else. but until then, you're just masking the real problem, not fixing it.

22. NappyTurk

NappyTurk Banned

Start here, inchworm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

I am willing to bet money you have never smoked, because your post reeks of spoon-fed, anti-marijuana bullshit.

To the threadstarter: FDA approved pharmaceuticals do nothing more than lull you into a robotic state of emotionlessness.

Anyone who wants to make a case for government sanctified poison should probably read this article first:
    http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020805/newman20020725

Oh and here's a little read on the companies who deal in pharmies:
    http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0212-01.htm

:eek3:

Note: I am not advocating the use of marijuana for psychological issues. However, there are a range of illnesses that can benefit from it's use, such as:

AIDS (HIV) & AIDS Wasting [​IMG] Alzheimer's Disease [​IMG] Appetite / Nausea [​IMG] Arthritis [​IMG] Asthma / Breathing Disorders [​IMG] Chemotherapy [​IMG] Crohn's / Gastrointestinal Disorders [​IMG] Epilepsy / Seizures [​IMG] Glaucoma [​IMG] Hepatitis C [​IMG] Migraines [​IMG] Multiple Sclerosis / Muscle Spasms [​IMG] Pain / Analgesia [​IMG] Psychological Conditions [​IMG] Tourette's Syndrome [​IMG] Terminally Ill

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  23. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

i agree totally with this. you need a counselor who believes he can help you without meds and doesn't depend on meds for everything. this guy sounds pushy about the drugs. look for a cognitive behavioral therapist if you have to look for another one. not a psychiatrist - they are all about the drugs.

24. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Marijuana is great recreationally...as a social or meditation drug.

It's never great to consistently put yourself in an altered state of mind because you've got social issues.

-Gain social aptitude
    -Join Facebook if you want to
    -Find group of equally socially awkward potheads
    -Start smoking if you want
    -?????
    -Profit

Also be aware that marijuana increases the chance of some forms of psychosis for those who are predisposed to it. Otherwise, it's a relatively benign recreational drug.

25. Instantly

Instantly New Member

i'm certainly no doctor and will probably receive negative heady pointz for this reply, but i came into this forum (i never look in here) to see if there was any asperger syndrome discussion and a couple of the things that you mentioned piqued my interest.. such as the being alone, mimicing your brother in social situations (that's a huge trait of AS) and having problems joining conversations, i have always had severe trouble with that.

i was diagnosed with asperger's this past summer and it has been an enormous fucking relief to realize exactly WHAT my problem is. that isn't to say i don't have any trouble in social situations anymore but at least i know now that my line of thinking doesnt come close to resembling other people's and i try to compensate for it accordingly. but the feeling of relief i got when i understood why i have so many social problems is amazing

but like i said i'm no doctor, i perform manual labor for a living

my advice is to continue with this doctor and take that assessment (what exactly is he assessing you for anyway?) (edit: then again the suggestion to change doctors to one who isn't so pushy with the drugs if you're adamant about not taking medication is a good one)

and if you want to smoke then smoke :) a little never hurt anybody
    just remember moderation is key and if you try it again and you really don't like the way it feels then don't do it