SRS smoking cessation: help me deal with the intense, short-term acute depression

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black jesus, Dec 28, 2009.

1. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

This is my 3rd attempt and the acute depression is really, really, really intense. I've quit for 2-years and started smoking again in August. The first few days are the 3rd-5th days are really tough on me.

Thanks

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

keep quitting, and never give up in quitting smoking, my dad quitted and restarted smoking over 7 times, the most important thing is to stay away from your weakness. Although i mean it reversed, quitters never win, and winners never quit.

My dad managed to quit smoking by using nicotine plasters [​IMG] , and im not joking nor making commercials on saying that this works, i had a lot of fights with my dad into convincing him to quit smoking, after having lost grandfather to smoking and lungcancer , i hated smoking more then ever, i still do, because it takes away my loved ones from me. Addictions are terrible, they are so hard to get rid of and horribly they often even resurface because our brains are stuck in a do-loop and want to stay in it forever.

It is essensial to jump out of that cycle of despair, and i've seen many gizmo's and gadgets that my dad tried to use to stop his addiction, nicorette plasters was THE ONLY THING, that more or less worked, you start with a big one, and then you slowly work your way down. You constantly reduce the amount of nicotine, the plasters also work good against the depression because your body is becoming depressed as a result of the lack of nicotine, anger also was a big problem, when my father stopped smoking he wanted to kill me,lol. But after the plasters he calmed down a bit, and managed to stop smoking, stay away from parties + do not drink alcohol, you see the moment you become lenient on yourself, your defense drops and you'll fall back into your addicion, even if this happens never give up.

3. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I haven't had the intense cravings this time and my last cig was consumed on Saturday. However I've been extremely sad, isolated, hitting the gym as usual from 4:30-6, and sleeping from roughly 7:00pm to 6:00am. When should I expect the depression to end even if I don't use the Nicotine supplement?

4. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

so I tossed the iPhone out of the car yesterday and just smashed the MP3 player today, rage is here...lol.

5. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Hey, hey. I don't want your shit if you're going to abuse it.

PM me if you want to vent, today is day 1 for me. When I quit I see something wrong with EVERYTHING I see for like 3 weeks.

I'll be rageful with you.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

It takes one year to get rid of the symptoms on what i saw with my father, but its more like a decline graph, first 4 months are the worst, then end up in a medium range, then low range, and once the year is passed they get in the controllable range, but 'have to stay out of danger' in order not to relapse, after 3 years there's still chance of a fallback, but after 5 years you'll might even develop a disgust for sigs, which is hard to imagine now, but you'll see subtle things on how the furniture becomes brown from the sigs, and how you are able to breathe in a much better way. But the best thing is financial as you don't waste your money on a useless product anymore.