Smoking and Cardio

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by R KriLLz, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

I'm planning on joining the marines towards the end of the summer. Cardio is therefore a huge priority for myself.
    heres my question....

I havent worked out in years, and have been smoking heavily since the last time I was in shape. For my training I have cut back to 3-5 cigs a day. and stopped smoking marijuana completely.
    I'm in my second week of running 4 times a week.
    Now... I have a bit of a smoker's cough, but since I started running and swimming a lot... I find myself coughing ALL DAY!
    I don't know if this is good or bad. should I slow down or what?
    anyone have any experience with this??

2. darkostoj

darkostoj NEEEERRRRDDDDSSSS

just stop smoking period

3. R KriLLz

I plan on doing so.
    Though I have a feeling if I stop completely, that still won't solve my problem at hand

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

One word of advice, admit to smoking marijuana otherwise if they find out about it later on it is an automatic discharge. Just say it was occasionaly recreational use over a (insert short) period of time.

edit: Also, don't say you were pressured into it by your peers, that shows lack of discipline. Just indicate you were curious as to what the whole deal was about, tried it and decided it was not for you.

5. rudeboy3

rudeboy3 New Member

QFT

6. R KriLLz

yeah GTLifter... i was thinking a lot about that lately.
    I figured thats what I would say... good point about the peer pressure tough.
    I smoked weed daily up until a few months ago. And I have no desire to do any drugs for the rest of my life. Joining the marines will be the final step to changing my life around.

so you think that'll fly in recruiting?? how about security clearance?? It's a tough situation...

I'm getting off topic... I think I'll start a thread in the military forum.

7. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

admit nothing !:eek3:

8. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

when youre out of shape as fuck and start doing cardio youll get that hoarse like blood in your throat feeling and cough all day...itll pass after a few days of getting in shape

and yeah if job 1 is getting in shape stop smoking man....i quit entirely just for a recruiting visit...not hard

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

yup... gotta ditch the smokes

now... once you are in and done with boot, its a different story. I think every Marine i know smokes :rofl: but they all quit for 6+ months before boot

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I dunno bro, from what I have heard from active duty and retired officers/grunts it is better to say you occasionally did it rather then deny it and have it pop up later on.

11. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I've always heard don't say shit, too

especially when the recruiting officers ask you

12. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

smoking actually promotes health.

13. Accord

Accord New Member

No. When you join and go to MEPS they'll do blood and urine tests, but that has absoutely nothing to do with getting a security clearance. The investigator conducting your single scope background investigation for a top secret clearance will create a very large web where even the smallest lie will be exposed, you won't be able to beat the system.

If you admit you smoked marijuana everyday for a long time, you won't be able to join, however if you just say you did it a few times to experiment or something then you probably won't have any problems joining.

You'll most likely never be able to get a top secret clearance anytime during your first two enlistments though. If you ever try and go into a billet (MSG duty, etc.) or lat move into a MOS which requires a TS clearance (intel, etc.) they WILL find out you were a daily user and not just a "recreational user for a short period of time" like you originally claimed when you joined.

These are the questions you must answer on the SF-86 (the form you have to submit when applying for a security clearance), and if you lie about anything on the SF-86 you will be exposed and you'll be in violation of the UCMJ:

So the gist of all this is basically you're NOT screwed out of a clearance for life because they only ask you to go back as far as 7 years, so as long as you've been perfectly clean for 7 years you'll be able to truthfully answer the questions and not have to admit to any drug use and you won't have any problems at all.

14. Changed

Changed Guest

Off Topic: who do they ask/ how do they find out about your lies :noes:

15. Accord

Accord New Member

On your SF-86 you have to list all of your relatives, close friends, former co-workers, former bosses, former teachers, old neighbors, etc. etc. and they will interview all of these people about the type of person you are, your character, etc. and from the core group of people you put down they will build a large web where people you don't even remember and totally forgot about will be interviewed. The investigators are good at what they do. Also, you will not know when your background investigation actually begins.

16. Changed

Changed Guest

What if you were involved with illegal activities w/ only one other person and nobody else ever knew about it :noes:

17. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

here's a tip. Only list people on there who you know would never tell them you smoked marijuana or did any other illegal drugs.

Anyway, admitting you did do it will probably disqualify you from spec ops jobs, and other promotions.

Anyway the military is retarded. They have no problem with people abusing a much more addictive and damaging drug "alcohol, nicotine", and treat people who smoked weed as evil rebellious hippies. Then they say because it's against the "law". GTFO here it's all political crap law.

Anyway I served in the NAVY, and you'd be surprised at how many people first start using drugs after they get into the military. And yes you are fucked if you ever go up for any type of security clearance above secret. All it will take is one dumb high school friend who tells you how you and him used to hit the bong and jerk each other off after school.

If you do lie, make sure you never admit to doing so, or you will be unhappily discharged with an other than honorable.

18. nitak

nitak New Member

i read some where if you smoked heavily for 1yr it takes about 7yrs for your lungs to get back into the condition it was in before you started smoking.

just stop smoking altogether it'll help you improve your cardio a lot faster.

19. Nightmist

Nightmist Power Metal Crew >* \m/ \m/

so if they interview some guy who absolutely hates you and wants to fuck you over then they could basically do that when they are interviewed by the investigators?

20. Accord

Accord New Member

yes, but the investigators are very good at what they do and are able to tell when someone is purposely trying to throw you under a bus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.