SRS Smoking Addiction, Switching from Menthol to Regular Lights.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by alwaysth, Jun 7, 2008.

1. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I've been smoking for about 4+ years now, all methol. Would it be assiting if I started smoking regular lights without menthol, and continued on from there by lowering my daily cigerette count?. :hsd:

2. cd7

cd7 how troublesome

this does not work. i too am a menthol smoker, and the taste of marlboro lights is so disgusting. but it still gave me my nicotine fix and with the act of smoking, i did not mind and just continued on smoking.

3. Mischievous

Mischievous E8 group drawn in 64' by Peter McMullen

we often forget that we are creatures of habit, our daily routines and thus the triggers that create the cravings exist in combination with your daily routine, this I believe is the largest barrier to get through.

If your serious about quitting then it's a good idea to consider what your triggers are so that you can avoid/minimize them. I found that when I quit and went on a 3-4 day camping trip I didnt have nearly the level of craving that I had from my previous quitting attempts.

You just have to accept the cravings that come with quitting, they will be there, they will be strong and they will suck, no doubt. But if you learn to accept them for what they are then you'll have an easier go at quitting.

one of the hardest parts about quitting isn't the quitting part, it's the staying quit part. Stressors can play havoc with your attempts to quit, I know they did for me, so have a plan in place to deal with the stressors that arise.

when I was researching quitting a while back I found an interesting statistic, those that stay quit over the long term do so cold turkey, nicotine replacement therapy has ~98% relapse rate over 5 years. When your ready to quit just quit and be done with it.

hope this helps